Sword of the Divine

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Onioncart

02-25-2013

I feel as though the item is underused and rightfully so.

I think The Sword of the Divine is ineffective for these 4 reasons
1. Its main focus is an active ability: active abilities are easy to forget and in the thick of things and Sword of the Divine suffers from this the most, other active ability items are normally used in situations that the player clearly knows what's going on around them, a speed boost for fleeing, a team shield for the start of a team fight, or a single target nuke that you use after all your other toolls have been exhausted. It's hard to know when to use the Sword of the Divines active.

2. The penalty for using the active: If you though that the Sword of the Divine has it's place in team fights, it doesn't. After getting those 3 crits onto the target your attack speed is crippled and your effectiveness is severely reduced for the next 60sec, not to mention that a misuse of this item will also cause it to be useless for the next 60sec making many players scared to use the active. and killing champions still doesn't allow it to get back into action in time.

3. Limitations on builds: Once you build Sword of the Divine getting more crit chance or attack speed only works to make the active more and more obsolete as the stats that you get from the active are closer and closer to what you normally have.

4. Better alternatives: Phantom Dancer, Runaan's Hurricane, and Statikk Shiv are all better ways to spend your money. at only 300-600 more gold you can have all the passive attack speed and more and the stats don't vanish like its does.

TDLR: Sword of the Divine is outclassed in almost every way, it either needs a buff or is doomed to remain a useless item for the history of the league.

If I have misjudged The Sword of the Divine and it is clearly an OP item please tell me how I'm misusing it because I've not seen it used to good effect in the once in a blue moon I see it built. And perhaps I'm chasing a buff to an item that really shouldn't be there.

Please comment to show riot this, because OP items will always be found, but those that are under powered pass by unnoticed.

The Lord Impaler

02-25-2013

I'm inclined to agree with you because I've never even HEARD of this sword before.

TealNinje

02-25-2013

Core item on Malphite.

Because 3 autocrits on the entire enemy team is pretty darn good.

Onioncart

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealNinje View Post
Core item on Malphite.

Because 3 autocrits on the entire enemy team is pretty darn good.
that is a good combo! never though about that. Do you know any other champions it's good on?

67chrome

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioncart View Post
that is a good combo! never though about that. Do you know any other champions it's good on?
Generally It's good on champions that scale predominantly with AD but don't really itemize for crits or attack speed. Basically, the champions that don't come to mind when you look at what it offers.

On someone like Talon, Zed, or Pantheon it's a nice way to insure you're killing somone once you finish your burst rotation with those super-AD auto-attacks, so when you drop someone to 1/3 health you can turn into a end-game melee carry and generally obliterate things. On Riven you should have plenty of AD for dat shield, and her ultimate multiplies her auto-attack damage rather significantly, which is further multiplied by critical strikes.

On champions like Rengar with powerful modifyed attack effects, 3 critical strikes when he QQs things hurts quite a lot as well.

Unfortunately for most of those champions, Sword of the Divine is something you get for your 6th item, similar to the position Atma's Impaler is. With the current flow of games it's really, really, really rare to actually reach a 6 end-tier item build when a game is over. But when you do, Sword of the Divine is there.

RockJockey

02-25-2013

Poppy with a SoTD and an IE = OP, especially after using her Ultimate.

awkwardbowman

02-25-2013

I've only built it on a few people, but it's funny to use on draven. if you get it in lane, you win :P

Slash7

02-26-2013

the items would be great but this is what bothers me

Passive: This item does not grant any attack speed while on cooldown.

kavinh the third

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

i've tried building it a few times and it's surprisingly not that awful. with the rises in attack speed it's actually a decent item for adcs with high damage since It's alot more reliable and cheaper then a phantom dancer. It might actually be useful now that melee assassins or mobile bruisers like vi and jarvan are getting played since that 3 crit is usually enough for an adc to 1v1 them.

rootsoflust

02-27-2013

I've been playing adc with crit chance and crit damage runes/mastery with some success. Not OP but it works.
I'll start boots the straight into infinity edge for the extra crit damage then Sword of the Divine, I've used the active at the start of a team fight managed a triple kill slowly and got the active up at the end.
More math is needed but i did alright with : Berserker boots, IE, SotD, BT, BC, then i won before i could build last item.