Can Ubuntu (Linux) run LoL?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BowAndQuiver

10-30-2010

I'm not very knowledgeable with Ubuntu, but I'm finding out that it seems to be better than Windows, but one thing it's lacking is that it's not gamer friendly, or so I've read online. Can Ubuntu run League of Legends? Sorry if this is a silly question. :P

Dryesias

10-30-2010

Never tried it myself, that's why you dual boot.

Try Wine though, you might have some success. I had no problems running WoW and other games under Wine.

Slicx

10-30-2010

If LoL can be run on a Mac, can it (be made to) run natively in Linux?

Do Macs use video technology like DirectX, is that how it's possible?

Yes, Linux is awesome, and you're right in saying that it isn't game-friendly. Not really its problem, as the games are written for Windows. Linux's problem is being supported by the 'big names' in software. As the world's fastest growing OS though, it is being supported more and more with alternative Linux versions of popular softwares.

For the moment, I recommend dual-booting, as will most people.

Delirium Tremens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2010

You should just grab vmplayer, compile a windows vm image and run lol through that. Should work fine. http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ Networking should just ad-hoc off your linux connection, it's pretty simple to set up.

KrevBlood

10-30-2010

I run League of Legends in Debian (another Linux dev) but its pretty close to Ubuntu
If you are a hardcore gamer i dont recomend you to go for Linux
Running games is a pain

My 2 cs

tldr: Its possible, just a lil complicated

otakuboy

10-30-2010

100% percent better than windows :P , hope it works