Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why Am I Here: A Guide to Roles and Lanes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

03-15-2013

I also have a new guide up! A Beginner's Guide to Buying and Playing Champions (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=35626982#post35626982)

Niek

03-17-2013

Would anyone like to make some additions or changes?

Mynx The Origin

03-18-2013

As far as I see, this guide is pretty good and simple. Helps even skilled players.

Atomic Paperclip

03-18-2013

Awesome Guide! Can we get this stickied?

Two questions:
1) I've read somewhere that jungling is not viable pre-20 due to lack of runes. How does that change the meta? Replace the jungler with another support for Top or Mid?

2) Does the meta change for Coop vs Bots? If so, how?

Niek

03-18-2013

Thanks Mynx!

Also, hello Atomic Paperclip! I wish we could get this stickied. That would just make my life! As for your questions, I'm not an expert and I am not 100% sure on the answers here, but I will do my best to answer it properly.

1. I've read somewhere that jungling is not viable pre-20 due to lack of runes. How does that change the meta? Replace the jungler with another support for Top or Mid?

Well, the first thing about the rune situation is that you are still able to purchase runes before level 20. They will not be the best tier runes, and is not usually recommended due to the IP costs as they will be replaced later on. But if you're dead set on having runes, that's a possibility. Not only that, but it is possible to jungle without the necessary runes. It might be a little harder to do so, but it's possible. Another reason that you may not see many junglers pre-20 is that jungling has a higher learning curve and requires a knowledge of a lot of champions and their mechanics in order to successfully gank. With that being said, on to the actual question and not my random commentary. How does that change the meta? Without a jungler, a second champion will go top. Double bruiser top is pretty popular, but it's also nice to have a bruiser paired with a high harass champion. Unless your team is highly coordinated and you have a plan and a reason, you should never have two people go mid.

2. Does the meta change for Coop vs Bots? If so, how?

Well.... It depends on your level. By looking at your Summoner profile, I see that you are at level 11 and I can honestly say that many people haven't even realized that there is a meta yet. A big thing in bot games, especially beginner bot games, is to just do whatever. In beginner bot games, there are no runes or masteries on the bots and they are extremely predictable. If you notice, though, they follow the meta. Anyway, overall, bot games have no need to follow the meta. In intermediate bots, the difficult is amped up and it's sometimes nice to follow the meta, but again, it's sometimes just "whatever floats your boat". When you get higher up in level, there will be more experimental things like, "I know a bruiser is supposed to go top but we're going to take Lulu top and see what happens." So does the meta change in bots? Yes. It becomes a vague suggestion and sometimes disappears altogether. However, some games the meta stays intact. But because the bots are easily predicted and easily thwarted, the meta isn't as important.

Niek

03-18-2013

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has commented and upvoted. I appreciate the support.

Jehosophat

03-18-2013

The meta in CoOp vs Bots is play the champ you want. I don't care if the whole team plays AP, ADCs, or whatever, you can faceroll bots unless all 5 of you have never played your champ or anything remotely similar. That's the nature of bots.

Delingar

03-20-2013

I finally got around to reading this thread and am glad I did. I'm still mid 20s but found this useful even at my level.

One bit of advice for really new players: nothing is cut in stone. The suggestions about champs in specific lanes are just suggestions and probably a good place to START while you learn. Eventually, as you learn more about champs and your skills with champs, you can play around with where they go or how you build them. I started LoL thinking X champion could only play in Y lane, but the more you play, the more you see that isn't the case. Just use these as "starter ways to play."

Thanks to the OP for this thread

Synfidie

03-27-2013

bumping this as its really helpful and it fell to the fourth page

Niek

04-07-2013

Just going to do a bump of this. I hadn't checked it in a while. So bump bump bump.