Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Why Am I Here: A Guide to Roles and Lanes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AtheistGuy1

Senior Member

06-15-2013

I'm just wondering why there's a "Ranged carry" category and no "melee carry." What, are we suddenly disowning people like Tryndamere, Master Yi, and Fiora? Also"Untypical Supports: Fiddlesticks" Fiddlesticks is not a support character, nor is Malphite. Next up is this little gem: "Non Typical AD Carries Master Yi, Teemo"Master Yi is exactly the right kind of carry, not "Non-typical." Teemo, on the other hand, is not a carry in any way, shape, or form; he is a support character. Jarvan IV is a fighter champion, not a tank.

This "guide" has many issues relating to categorization that need fixing immediately.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaxton Hale

Member

06-15-2013

Bump. Very nice guide


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

Senior Member

06-15-2013

Quote:
AtheistGuy1:
I'm just wondering why there's a "Ranged carry" category and no "melee carry." What, are we suddenly disowning people like Tryndamere, Master Yi, and Fiora? Also"Untypical Supports: Fiddlesticks" Fiddlesticks is not a support character, nor is Malphite. Next up is this little gem: "Non Typical AD Carries Master Yi, Teemo"Master Yi is exactly the right kind of carry, not "Non-typical." Teemo, on the other hand, is not a carry in any way, shape, or form; he is a support character. Jarvan IV is a fighter champion, not a tank.

This "guide" has many issues relating to categorization that need fixing immediately.



Thanks for your comments AtheistGuy. As I mentioned, I am no League scholar, nor do I know everything. I have asked for input and discussion from other members and I am glad that you have some additions/corrections. The content was getting stale, so thanks.

The guide was created for people who are new to the game and have not figured out the basics. As such, I am not a great player and I find that as I rise in skill, I see more changes in the meta that argue what I've put here. But for brand new characters, the information I've given is basic (if a bit simplified)

As for your melee carries, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed AD carries went bot. I'm not familiar with a Fiora bot, and I've only seen Trynd bot once. That's why I put Yi in the untypical because he is not the "typical" character you see going bot. His melee quality is what makes me categorize him as an untypical AD carry because others who fill that role are ranged. I don't mean to say that he's not a good carry. You have a point that he's the right kind of carry, but I only call him atypical because he is a different kind of carry compared to the others who may go bot. As far as Teemo goes, I debated about putting him in that list. Honestly, the only reason he made it on there was because I was lacking in other examples. While he can be built as an AD carry, I agree that it's not ideal.

As far as Fiddle being an untypical support, I will stand by that fully. His fear and silence make him a good support. I wouldn't call him a great support, but in the right hands, he's invaluable to the carry. Same goes for Malph, though I haven't seen him as much as I've seen support Fiddle. I would be willing to remove Malph if you had a suggestion for a better untypical support.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AtheistGuy1

Senior Member

06-16-2013

Quote:
Niek:

As for your melee carries, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed AD carries went bot.


My complaint was only that you put a "ranged" category and ignored melee. The "ranged" carries are the ones that are expected to go bot with the supports. Melee tend to be played as really anything but. You see AP Yi far more often than its actually effective ADC counterpart, Bruisermere is fairly common as people buy pure damage and survivability items instead of focusing on attack speed and crit chance, not to mention AD caster fiora.

I can only speak for Tryndamere, but let me tell you it's easy to play him anywhere you want. You could even go mid if the game didn't collapse the moment you did (Bot, top, and the jungle start camping your lane because you can consistently bully the mid lane out of a good farm).

Quote:
Niek:
I'm not familiar with a Fiora bot, and I've only seen Trynd bot once. That's why I put Yi in the untypical because he is not the "typical" character you see going bot. His melee quality is what makes me categorize him as an untypical AD carry because others who fill that role are ranged. I don't mean to say that he's not a good carry. You have a point that he's the right kind of carry, but I only call him atypical because he is a different kind of carry compared to the others who may go bot.


You see, this is sloppy. You may very well know what you mean by this, but any newcomers looking at the list have no choice but to stare and try figuring out what you mean. It doesn't help that, again, you've got no Melee carry section here. He's that one Swordsman in the gun club.


Quote:
Niek:
As far as Teemo goes, I debated about putting him in that list. Honestly, the only reason he made it on there was because I was lacking in other examples. While he can be built as an AD carry, I agree that it's not ideal.


And again only really serves to confuse new people.

Quote:
Niek:
As far as Fiddle being an untypical support, I will stand by that fully. His fear and silence make him a good support. I wouldn't call him a great support, but in the right hands, he's invaluable to the carry. Same goes for Malph, though I haven't seen him as much as I've seen support Fiddle. I would be willing to remove Malph if you had a suggestion for a better untypical support.


Look, if you ask me, you should start by putting these characters in the proper categories (You can look these up on the league wiki), then explaining how their practical use strays from that in-meta. "Carry" encompasses all the carries (Ranged or otherwise), Support covering the supports, etc.

Fiddlesticks is a mage; that you can build him as a pure tank, support, carry is another matter entirely. The same applies to all other champs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

Senior Member

06-17-2013

I just wanted to say that I made some edits to the guide. I added a section titled, " How Do Items Affect How My Champion's Role?". In that, I address how builds can affect how your champion is to be played. I talk about tank/mage/support Fiddle there as an example.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

4Degreez

Senior Member

06-17-2013

Quote:
Niek:
I just wanted to say that I made some edits to the guide. I added a section titled, " How Do Items Affect How My Champion's Role?". In that, I address how builds can affect how your champion is to be played. I talk about tank/mage/support Fiddle there as an example.


just my personal opinion, it should be the other way around.
situation > strategy > tactics > role > build.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

Senior Member

06-17-2013

Well, lucky for you, I say that same exact thing in the section that was added. Just, not so concisely.

Quote:
Any time you buy something, think about why you're buying it. Yes, the game does show recommended items. But before you purchase it, think about what the item will do for you. ... Don't blindly buy things because it's recommended. Buy things because you need them. Buy items because it's the right fit for your current situation. [QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Just keep in mind what kind of champion you are playing, how their abilities work, what lane they are best suited for, and then think about your build.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AtheistGuy1

Senior Member

06-17-2013

Quote:
Niek:
I just wanted to say that I made some edits to the guide. I added a section titled, " How Do Items Affect How My Champion's Role?". In that, I address how builds can affect how your champion is to be played. I talk about tank/mage/support Fiddle there as an example.


It's a bit roundabout in how it discusses the issue, but it gets the basic Idea across as far as I can see: Champions and the roles they can take on are flexible.

That's really one of the most important things newbies need to know. Today's tank can be tomorrow's mage and tomorrow's support can be the next day's ADC (hey, it can happen).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

Senior Member

06-19-2013

Fair enough. I'll add you into the list of people who helped shape this guide so that you can get the credit for the additions.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

Senior Member

06-20-2013

Any other discussions and/or change requests?