Competitive eSports. Drug Testing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xRAWKAx

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk Lord View Post
I don't think either of those have a ban on ADHD medicaitons though...

It's not like you can get a legitimate prescription for Steriods, so it's not really the same thing.
That's not true. Richard Sherman from the Seattle Seahawks recently got suspended (though he won his appeal on what seems to be a technicality) by the NFL for using Adderall, which is an amphetamine commonly used as an ADHD medication. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-urine-testing

Logios

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statiqhock View Post
My question was more : how effective are those? Is it the same as a nap and a hot milk before going in? Or more like a ubermench trance that makes you play perfectly?

the first, I'd think is perfectly fine. Like a physical athlete stretching and eating well before a competition. Second is over the top, I'll admit. In other words, is it really an unfair steroid-level advantage?
Somewhere in between. Drugs won't make you more skilled, but they can help you use what skill you have more effectively.

Drugs like adderal or meth (stimulants) will increase a "normal" person's focus, for people with ADHD, these drugs actually have a paradoxical effect and calm them down, this is why people that are prescribed medication for ADHD don't understand why it would help someone else.

Even marijuana can help someone play better. As someone who's been a part of the fighting game community, I've seen how much it can help a certain minority of people play better. A lot of people's minds run 100 mph before a match and a small amount of pot can help filter out the excess "noise" and focus better. People who are addicted to pot will also have the added advantage of increased dopamine levels.

So yes, drugs can give you a decent boost. The problem I see is where the line will be drawn. Many people (especially gamers) are legally prescribed these drugs, so would they not be allowed to take their medication? Drug tests can't determine how much of a drug you have in your system, so they wouldn't be able to tell if a player is popping 4 of them before a match or merely taking the prescribed dosage.

xRAWKAx

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da3daalus View Post
In the MLB, players have to obtain permission from a 3 person expert panel in order to use those medications. Otherwise, those drugs are banned.
Fascinating. I didn't know that.