How to counter Vayne?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ericxz

02-22-2013

Hey guys im quite new to the forums and this is my first thread. I wanted to ask you experienced players on how to counter Vayne. Recently i had no problems with playing against Vaynes because i think the Vaynes i play against were bad. But then i saw my friend play Vayne he was a really good Vayne player and he dominated with her. I was then afraid of Vayne. How do i counter a good vayne in lane and in teamfights. I usually play Ezreal so how do i counter Vayne as Ez? Please dont say something useless like there are no counters to Vayne. If you dont have something usefull to say plz dont say it. Please reply any counter information you got plz. How to counter vayne as ezreal or any carry?

Phagguette

02-22-2013

Vayne has an extremely weak early game, unless she has a very pokey support (like Sona). However, she doesn't have the range or the kit to be poking, meaning that she has to farm to do good later. Don't underestimate her; make a wrong move and next thing you know you will be pinned to a wall and take a lot of unnecessary, if not fatal, damage. Poke her in the early game, as she cannot poke you back without taking some aggro. Shut her down early game, and don't be next to a wall. She is extremely fragile early and she needs some kind of sustain champ or someone who can save her from a gank/initiation. Ez does a really good job with poke with his q. Land those and she will be forced to back soon.

Once late-game comes, make your team prioritize her no matter what. She is her scariest when she is at late-game, as she can melt just about anybody with her silver bolts. She can escape, stun, and when you try to run, she can gain up to 90 extra movement speed. Deny her farm in lanes when the laning phase is over, because you will have less of a chance to win the longer the game goes.

Fanaticmogg

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughwssery View Post
don't be next to a wall.
Important! I've played Vayne, and I love it when people hug the walls. It makes for easy stuns.

Anyway, in terms of beating her, she's already got a difficult early game, so make it more difficult. Late-game, try to focus her and shut her down before anyone else - she's a hypercarry, which means that she's gonna be the biggest threat on their team. Don't make it easy for her to get 3 shots on you, since that'll trigger true damage - percentile-of-max-HP true damage, no less, so she can kill tanks surprisingly easily. And be careful when she ults, since it makes her very strong and quite fast.

Cycloned

02-22-2013

Like the person above me said, most carries (if not all) have a very weak early game. The trick is to shut them down by means of preventing them from getting minion kills, harassing them as much as possible, and preventing them from getting any kills.

I have personally started playing Vayne lately, and I have done very well with her. The thing I have noticed is that it only takes a couple of kills and decent cs to set Vayne on a snowballing path. So my advice is simply prevent that, and in teamfights ask your team to focus the vayne.

Good luck.

KazaLyn Shao

02-22-2013

You hit it with a rock

ImTuyet

02-22-2013

People say she's very weak at early game, but if the player is a good one, she's actually very decent. One of her combos is using her Q to get in range for a decent poke, and if you stay to trade with her, you will be out-traded because of her W (Q bonus damage for the 1st hit, then bonus true damage from her W), this tactic can be countered by bursty champions such as Graves or MF. Another dangerous combo she can do is Q-E-auto attack, you will be knocked back and hit by her W. She's safe and you are damaged, but this combo is very mana heavy, Vayne's mana pool is very low, she can't do it frequently (well, if there's a Soraka, I'm not sure). You can try to poke and deny her farm by playing god-tier ADCs at early game such as Caitlyn, Graves, MF...
When she hits lv 6, respect her presence in lane, tell your support to get a Vision Ward if you think you can deal with her (most people can't deal with her ulti because her stealth makes them unable to attack her for 1 second, which is about 1 or 2 auto-attacks while she gets about 50% bonus damage for her Q).
And the most important thing, never go in the bush to farm or poke, especially if your support is a squishy one (Sona, Soraka, etc.), when I played Vayne, I saw a lot of support went in the bush and try to poke me (Sona for example), all I did is E her and she's dead, remember, she can position herself because of Q and Flash, so make sure you don't fight her in the jungle or near walls.
(Sorry for my bad English).

Ericxz

02-22-2013

Ok i think i get how to counter or play against Vayne now. Dont stay next to walls focus her in teamfight and shut down her early game. Thanks for all your replies guys you been very helpful.

fletche00

02-23-2013

Being a main Vayne player since her release, here is my 2 cents about her.

Deny her farm.
Get in her face early as long as you have a kill lane
Avoid her 3 AA for W proc, even though you dont have a lot of hp early, the bonus damage applied w/ the %proc is deadly, and can do 33 - 60% of your hp early.
Dont try to run from her unless you have an escape/flash, she will catch up to you, especially if she ults.
Stay away from walls, she will stun you most likely.
Her insane damage comes after she gets BT and PD, followed by a last whisper = her 3 shotting squishies.
Dont be afraid to put an exhaust on her to slow her AS, the true damage will still go through, but she most likely wont get 3 shots off while exhausted.
Frozen Heart & Randuins are your best friend against her, shut her speed down, shut her down.
Save all hard CC for her, she has no natural escapes, and her stealth is short enough that you shouldnt have a problem finding her after she uses it.

I hope this helps.

Cookie Pizza

08-27-2013

Another way to counter her is to use a lot of crowd control (stuns, snares, etc.) a lot.

Frightning

08-27-2013

^ Nice Thread Necromancy....