PBE: Restricted Chat For Toxic Players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gnfnrf

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDi View Post
Anivia walls and Janna ults for example will not be something that restricted chat will detect or assist. I think that this would actually make detecting that harder as the chat limits result in everybody who would comment on it suddenly finding no reason to waste a line of text on.

That's the reason why I don't think it would help.
But normal people (the ones who would comment on a trollwall) won't be restricted in chat.

YueienGato

03-02-2013

Getting the impression that, so far, this idea is gaining traction from some folks I know on the PBE. I do wonder how long this thing will last before Lyte goes one way or another on bringing it to live.

EDIT THough I do wonder that if this becomes the norm, will that mean that sign ups for PBE will continue to be closed? If they aren't getting rid of toxic players and / or people not doing what PBE was meant for (Bugs) I then wonder what it will look like.

YueienGato

03-18-2013

So not sure if anyone has seen this, but latest patch has pushed the restricted chat from PBE to live:

Quote:
Restricted Chat Mode
In an effort to encourage active reform and shield players from toxicity, we’ve implemented a new account restriction that limits in-game chat for toxic players.

Certain players (identified by Tribunal and by Player Support) will have a limited number of in-game messages available and limited access to [All] Chat.
Restricted players that successfully complete matchmade games will earn their chat privileges back.
This along with Lyte's recent chat about shifting the focus on reforming players instead of just punishing is interesting, to say the least.

EDIT: Thought I linked the chat link : / my bad, here we go.

http://www.surrenderat20.net/2013/03...cusing-on.html

RayneAU

03-18-2013

this is a fantastic implamentation in my opinion in the new patch

YueienGato

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayneAU View Post
this is a fantastic implamentation in my opinion in the new patch
I'd be more excited if they did Prisoner's Island instead, tbh. Then again, if people supposedly can abuse the ribbon system then I am sure some sort of system will be set up to paddle away from said island.

Hypothetical theory-crafting abounds . . . I want to see if there is a hue-and-cry though from people about how draconian the restricted chat will be.

RayneAU

03-18-2013

yeah I would like to see how far the system will be going
and how thourough it will be

prisoners island wouldn't work people would just make a new account

AFK in lol ftw

03-18-2013

So not only do they get banned... when they come back, they have chat restrictions as well?

YueienGato

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayneAU View Post
yeah I would like to see how far the system will be going
and how thourough it will be

prisoners island wouldn't work people would just make a new account
Yeah but compared to the current situation? Starting a new account is fairly . . . interesting right now. While I won't say it is populated purely by trolls and toxic folks it is, from a recent experiment done with research participants, still very difficult to have a game where you aren't getting verbally shoved.

I think Riot is understanding that this may be a problem, and so are opting for other options. While it isn't necessarily focus on newbies, I do still feel an immense amount of sympathy for newbies trying to get some play time without harassment.

And yeah, any system is prone to a certain amount of abuse (one way or another, in terms of arguments from pro and anti tribunal parties, that is). I am sure in a few weeks there will be some angle to be found where people can creatively communicate their frustration, cause human imagination and the need to express it has been one of the driving forces of humanity >.>

I do hope it works but, at the same time, I ain't blind to think that this is a solve-all solution. Another tool in the box is just that: another tool for a specific issue.

Trashcanx

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK in lol ftw View Post
So not only do they get banned... when they come back, they have chat restrictions as well?
'the chat restriction replaces the ban in some cases, the truely toxic will still get suspended though

YueienGato

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK in lol ftw View Post
From what I gather it looks that way, but then again only been 3 hours since it got pushed to live. From what I gather, you still get periodic time bamps if you get out of restrict and get back in. Not sure about permas but, I suspect, if one does it too often then a perma might still be an option.