Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Player Behavior Experiments and Restricted Chat Mode on PBE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS186afbf367d955

02-22-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Custom games won't count; however, Co-op vs AI games will count because they are considered a matchmade game.

If players want to play a large number of games in Co-op vs AI and not talk at all, we're OK with that. That's still a small improvement over being toxic and banned.

Hey thanks Lyte and Riot for working on one of the most important aspect of lol.

I always said bans aren't the best idea because people tend to ignore short time-ban and harm the most fragile players ,the new ones when making new accounts. However I still think permabans are effective, as the ultimate hammer, because once you have unlocked X champions and X skins, losing something valuable makes you think twice.

I've another idea, what if when you get muted by multiple players you get a gentle warning. This would work only in ranked mode to avoid premade > 2 persons and you would need to be muted by 3 people at least. The message could end by "You can ignore this message if you behaved appropriately" so it wouldn't scare some people. The only problem I can see is that I'm not sure many people are using the mute feature right now. I'm just trying to find ways to bring more immediate feedback to toxic players. This is something that is lacking at the moment.

Im Contributing

02-22-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Custom games won't count; however, Co-op vs AI games will count because they are considered a matchmade game.

If players want to play a large number of games in Co-op vs AI and not talk at all, we're OK with that. That's still a small improvement over being toxic and banned.

If this goes through to live, could I be put in this system first? I consider myself toxic from being over competitive and rage when teammates do dumb things. Also asking if this could be put on my PBE account as well, would like to test it.

Could we also lower the amount of pings from one player?

Shinrasaa

02-22-2013

I'm not so sure about this to be honest...

I mean, it's a good start, but I sure hope it won't replace bans completely, because to be honest, it's not a very harsh punishment (as you said, it's more like a chance for players to improve). I mean, can't toxic players still abuse their team, even with a chat limit? And the option to get to keep your account with all your champions, runes, skins, limited or legacy skins and just have a small restriction on chat doesn't sound scary at all, won't that encourage more abuse since the worst that can happen is "oh I won't be able to chat for a week who cares"?

I mean, I like the general idea, but I think it should be part of the punishment progress. Like, first thing is a warning, then, if verbal abuse was the reason the player gets banned a second time, the chat restriction. If the player still doesn't learn, then a ban...etc etc...

And have you ever thought of restricting game modes for toxic players or players who intentionally ruin games by feeding/trolling? Like, locking them out of ranked mode/normals and having them play custom games (or custom games and normals)?

And another question, if someone knows they are likely to rage but regret it later, can they request to have a chat restriction placed on them to prevent their raging? A lot of people seem to acknowledge that they sometimes go overboard but can't really stop themselves in the heat of a game, so maybe it could be a preventive tool too?

IS186afbf367d955

02-22-2013

Just had another idea. Toxic players can't use their skins again until they play X games flawlessly.

Litose

02-22-2013

in a hypothetical scenario where i got and email to test this (^^)... should i try to harass / ****talk?

if yes....ll the reports counts towards a ban? if i got banned ll you remove the ban after the test?

like...if I chat like i do in a regular match (which is like some mias and nothing more...and not some 302930193213 lines "teaching" others to play) it ll not be a proprer representation on how the toxic players do it....

also...ll it change anything in the "team chat" or does it only affect "all chat"!?

Exacerberus

02-22-2013

A welcome change.
I'm sorry to say that but permabans were both useless and kinda unfair to those who spent money to support this game.

TheLarrBear

02-22-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
However, we're already brainstorming and planning experiments between Tribunal and this feature and how it might work; we're also thinking about how Tribunal cases may have to change a bit to reflect players who were in restricted chat mode and still reported enough to enter the Tribunal.

I think the biggest improvement that can be made to the tribunal right now would be adding pre-game and post-game chat logs to each case. i've seen a few cases where 4+ players reported someone for "offensive language" or "negative attitude" with no comments in the report, and then the in-game chat shows that the reported player didnt say anything the entire game. so my only guess is they were doing something wrong in the pre-game or post-game chats.

Quote:
zomgmynamewontfi:
Lyte, marry me. Seriously. This is exactly what I've been thinking for a long time. I get banned for "dude wtf are you doing?" and people who feed like 0/20 dont get banned.

For me it's the opposite, i recently saw a case i voted punish because the person was spamming swears at his team repeatedly, then i checked the case review today find out that he was pardoned... then there was another one where i voted pardon because this person had a positive attitude throughout all his games and was probably unskilled but still trying this best to win even though his team mates had bad attitudes, yet he got permabanned..... wtf? sometimes i feel like im the only one who actually read the summoner's code. =(

Pentakill

Senior Recruiter

02-22-2013

If I were to release a program that would enforce limitations for players now, would any of you use it?
If you're a player who has some raging problems, for example, you could limit your communication ability now in order to help train yourself.

edit: open source, of course

Chussu

02-22-2013

I have a friend whos account was permabanned cause he trash talked a lot is their anyway people who were permabanned for this behavior would ever be aloud to rejoin on their accounts but with chat parameters

FixEU FU Riot

02-22-2013

I know you arent payed for thinking at riot but here is a little idea for your undeveloped brains:

DID YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE FACT THAT MOST OF YOUR ****TY REPORTS ARE MADE BECAUSE PEOPLE RAGE AT PEOPLE FOR LOSING THEM GAMES?

Those total retarded and false reports will now shut down the chat for people who never said anything wrong or insulted people in chat? Are you really that dumb that you think the mayority of your reports are justified? People nowadays report others for losing a game because of ONE mistake in lategame which made them lose. Everytime one player doesnt agree with the ideas of another player he is threatened with a report when it turns out that the outcome of this argument led to a lost teamfight.

You cant be that blinded to ignore the amount of toxic players who themselves report others for whatever reason.

This idea is **** and it hurts knowing that people got paid for it