Runes speculation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Charmicarmicarmicat

12-03-2009

I'm just wondering what people think about this:

For a caster like anivia, karthus, kassadin, annie, CM, ryze, which runeset would generally yield the highest damage?

The choice is between 20 magic pen at lvl 1, vs 75 AP at lvl 18.

With the buffed boots, and the new guise, 40 magic pen is easy to get, which negates a chalice.

AP on the otherhand is probably better lategame, but i dunno.

Thoughts?

SwampZero

12-03-2009

Magic penetration runes became obsolete with this patch. New caster pen+ item with great stats/buildup, plus nerfing of aegis means you won't ever need more penetration that what you can get from talent+exhaust+newitem+boots

Charmicarmicarmicat

12-03-2009

Maybe you are right - except for marks, magic pen is a clear winner here.

I bought AP in seals, quints and glyphs and magic pen in marks. So far so good.

Landa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2009

The best would be a combination of both. Since magic pen is primary in marks and ap on glyphs.

SwampZero

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landa View Post
The best would be a combination of both. Since magic pen is primary in marks and ap on glyphs.
9th Talent+boots+Guise = 15% +20 +20 magic penetration. For 2.3k total money, on items that are core for you even without the penetration.

15% pen reduction on top of a -40 ABSOLUTE reduction, when most heroes start with 30 base

And that's not even including the odd Specced Exhaust that kills another 25 ABSOLUTE.

OR any other good items like Void staff (still 40% , still awesome) or Lich staff (-20 reduction AOE)

You don't need magic pen runes duder, sorry. Hell, you probably don't even need the talent anymore.

Landa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2009

You dont need magic pen boots. Mercury treads ftw. Neither do you need Guise. Not enough item slots to get mid tier items when you want to maximize your damage. I use 9th talent + runes + abyssal (for negative MR on people with less than 50 MR). I dont get guise or void or magic pen boots.

SwampZero

12-03-2009

Quote:
You dont need magic pen boots. Mercury treads ftw. Neither do you need Guise. Not enough item slots to get mid tier items when you want to maximize your damage. I use 9th talent + runes + abyssal (for negative MR on people with less than 50 MR). I dont get guise or void or magic pen boots.
Guise is not a mid tier item

It's your very first god damn item.

You can leave the base with the mini-mana regen item AND the mini-hp regen item AND A POTION OF YOUR CHOICE HOLY ****

Then turn em into a 8 per 5 mana +decent hp regen +10% cooldown + PENETRATION item on your first fountain trip?

This item pretty much completely destroy any reason to get Codex (which is a bad item, agreed) but this simply outclasses it ON EVERY SINGLE ASPECT

Are you crazy, this item is pretty much core first item on p. much all nukers in the game.

Charmicarmicarmicat

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampZero View Post
Guise is not a mid tier item

It's your very first god damn item.

You can leave the base with the mini-mana regen item AND the mini-hp regen item AND A POTION OF YOUR CHOICE HOLY ****

Then turn em into a 8 per 5 mana +decent hp regen +10% cooldown + PENETRATION item on your first fountain trip?

This item pretty much completely destroy any reason to get Codex (which is a bad item, agreed) but this simply outclasses it ON EVERY SINGLE ASPECT

Are you crazy, this item is pretty much core first item on p. much all nukers in the game.
I agree, guise is nasty. I guess there is no need to stack magic pen runes. I still suggest that you go for marks though, they have high magic pen but low AP and casters don't really need any physical dmg attributes (though armor pen helps for lasthits and laning phase and such)

Charmicarmicarmicat

12-03-2009

Quote:
You can always sell it lategame. In LoL you get like 75% of the items original cost (minus gold items i think, those you get 50% for)

Landa

12-03-2009

Thats exactly what I mean. You dont have many options on marks and Magic Pen is now primary on marks so it is still better to go Magic Pen on marks and AP on glyphs that AP on both... Simply because you will get something like 10AP or less from the marks. And by doing this you can skip on the magic pen boots and get the mercury treads which are way better (40 magic resist vs 20 magic pen not mentioning the OMG reduce stuns by 40%).