Why is Ryze always <50%?

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ofart

02-21-2013

So I've been looking at the stats for champions in various patches on LoLMatches (filtered to ranked 5vs5) and Ryze seems to be perpetually <50% everywhere I check. I even went to LoLking and filtered only for Platinum players and the same result occurs although he's almost there lately.

I like to play Ryze and he seems fairly good so what's causing these mediocre results? Is it just that he can't push a wave without his ultimate or his short-range single target focus? Could it be that he's misplayed even at high levels (he's only played ~11%) or does the early game hurt him too much so that he rarely gets to his full potential kind of like Nasus?

I'm curious what much better players than I think about this. Thanks!

The Lakers

02-21-2013

I play Ryze in mostly normals cause I hate ranked but sometimes when i get a full team I play ranked. Not a lot of people play Ryze cause they think he's boring, and the people who do play him most arent good with him.
Take it from a Ryze main, although my ranked stats aren't good with him (which aren't reflective of my skill with him), you can win any lane with him if youre good enough. I've been Cassiopeia's, Xerath's, and many other hard Ryze counters with good play. Simply put, a lot of people aren't that good at Ryze in low elo.
In tournaments he is often banned or one of the first picked. He is, in my opinion, one of the top 3 ap carries in league.

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-21-2013

There are alot of reasons for that. He has trouble pushing on a whim, he has some trouble earlyon and has to choose between mana, defense, and power (im aware of how his ratios work he still has to choose).

But the most important factor of all is that none of the sites available to us are particularily accurate.

Technician Tim

02-21-2013

i think he just isnt played too often, and might not fit in well with the current massive chains of stuns and aoe meta, plus his range is somewhat short, idk i dont play him often but when i do he seems fine to me, strong een

he def isnt OP, as no matter how hes reworked ryze always ends up being able to melt through even tanky champs while being relatively tanky himself
idk taric has a stupid high winrate but thats really due more to high synergy with like every champ, not really being OP

Fluffy1

02-21-2013

most of ryzes issues are range which me makes up for in speed of casting but most other mages will kite him around unless he blows flash

Summerfest

02-21-2013

Because his most important stats were invalidated in season 3. He's a mana/resistance tank.

The only kind of tanky is stacking mostly health with just enough resistances to null their flat pen without encouraging them to build a Last Whisper or Void Staff

bob000

02-21-2013

Being strongest in a stage of the game that often doesnt exist is a handicap.

Arcticfury

02-21-2013

He is also 450 IP, so a lot of new people play him and lose. A lot of the 450 champs are a lot better than their lolking ratings.

Gimpyloser

02-21-2013

Bad players often choose Ryze. Ryze is very strong when played well, but it is also easy to default to him if you are a weak player because like Sona, many people THINK they are winning by button smashing almost mindlessly. He is also a very cheap champion so many players who just hit 30 may only have a few mids and he is almost garunteed to be one of them.

Shockforce

02-21-2013

Ryze is probably the strongest mage after he gets itemization. But, he does not get to that point except in late game or if he is fed early.

12345 ... 8