Runes for casters and runes for physical?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyle700

12-03-2009

I've just unlocked my last champ that I currently want for the moment (Veigar) and now, I'm gunna try and get 2 working T3 pages of runes. I want a page for nuking casters and more support casters in general (Soraka, Veigar, Fiddlesticks and Annie mainly) and then a page for playing tanks and physical dps (Tristana, any tank that I play, ect ect)

But I don't know which runes, and I don't want to spend 800 IP and a PoS rune. Thanks.

wildfire393

12-03-2009

For each of these character types, you're probably going to need a different page of runes.

Nukers:
Get 6% Cooldown reduction (with 9% from a 9-0-21 spec, you get 15% and thus 40% with golem)
A bit of MP/5
The rest Magic Penetration

Soraka:
You could give her a standard tank page or some combination of that and Cooldown reduction.
The way I play her, I get 40% -CD from my items, so I stack HP/5 and MP/5

Tanks:
Armor, HP, MR, HP/5, MP/5, -CD never hurt

Physical DPS:
Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Attack Speed, or Armor Pen

Drakantus

12-03-2009

I just finished my second rune book, so I have a reasonable set for casters and for physical/tanks.

Marks (red): all +crit chance for physical, all magic penetration for caster
Seals (yellow): all +dodge % for physical, all +hp/level for casters
Glyphs (blue): all - cooldown for both (I haven't finished my AP set, but I find -cooldown arguably better for many casters anyway)
Quintessence (purple): all +39hp (118 extra hp early game is pretty nice for everyone as a placeholder, I'll go for some alternate quints later as I build IP)

Kyle700

12-03-2009

I know that Annie and Soraka don't quite mix together with runes, but I'm lazy about them, so either will do.
Is armor pen or Crit dmg/chance better to get as a general physical charictar? I play Tristana mainly, and I buy a Phantom Dancer ASAP, so I'm thinking Crit chance or crit dmg.
Is ap per level no good for casters then, or is Magic pen just better in general for casters?

Drakantus

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle700 View Post
Is ap per level no good for casters then, or is Magic pen just better in general for casters?
magic pen is a primary rune for red, ap is not. ap is primary for blue, but i prefer -cooldown in blue. So that is why I don't take ap. Although magic pen is kinda useless for a healer, not really sure what I would take from red for a healer based non-physical dps.

as far as your other question, armor pen is very random in it's value. It's great for a physical dps that does almost all auto-attack damage, but if you switch to one that uses a lot of abilities 50-95% of your damage might be "magic", which armor pen doesn't benefit. I like +crit chance as it's generally seems to be useful for most physical dps... then again, the same thing applies in that most abilities can't crit, with the exception of parrlay, so my logic might be flawed. Crit damage is better than crit chance if you tend to hit over 100% crit chance typically.

wildfire393

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle700 View Post
I know that Annie and Soraka don't quite mix together with runes, but I'm lazy about them, so either will do.
Is armor pen or Crit dmg/chance better to get as a general physical charictar? I play Tristana mainly, and I buy a Phantom Dancer ASAP, so I'm thinking Crit chance or crit dmg.
The choice between Crit Damage and Crit chance depends on the character. On Ashe, Tryndamere, and Gangplank, Crit damage is generally superior as they already get a ton of crits. On someone like Tristiana, crit chance is probably better.

AP per level is no good on damaging casters, Magic Pen is straight-up better. Someone elsewhere did the calc when they changed Sorc Shoes.

"Let's say you're using Annie's incinerate. At level 5 (rank 3), it's 170 damage with .6 scaling. If they have 30 magic resistance, and you had the OLD sorc boots, it would be (170+(33*.6))*.77 to get your damage, or 146.15 damage on your disintegrate. With new sorc boots, it would be 170 * .909, or 154.5 damage. You gain 8 damage. And that's early game.

Then, once you get your very first ability power item, you start gaining better benefits. The moment you pick up amplifying tome, this happens: taking rank 4 of disintegrate, it's (215+((33+20)*.6))*.77 or 190 damage vs (215+(20*.6))*.909 or 206.3 damage.

They are now 100% better than old Sorc boots."

So even a slightly lower amount of MPen is better than AP. This is for the same reason that Crit Chance/Damage are better than straight damage on Physicals: you're increasing the percentage of your damage, making it very powerful for the whole game. AP will only ever give you flat damage per point, and depending on your ratio it's not even a whole point of damage per point of AP. Every point of MPen reduces the amount of damage you need to do to a character to kill them, so the higher their HP gets, the more effective it is.