What is ELO hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ephringael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

But there is also that good chance that the placeholder player in this situation is no where near as good as they think they are.

Your numbers are assuming that the player claiming to be in elo hell is good. When statistically they are either average. 75% of League plaeyrs fall into this category.

Assuming the player claiming to be in elo hell is bad. The enemy team has the advantage. It all depends on which side you are looking at.

TwistWrist

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephringael View Post
But there is also that good chance that the placeholder player in this situation is no where near as good as they think they are.

Your numbers are assuming that the player claiming to be in elo hell is good. When statistically they are either average. 75% of League plaeyrs fall into this category.

Assuming the player claiming to be in elo hell is bad. The enemy team has the advantage. It all depends on which side you are looking at.
No, I'm not assuming they are good. I'm assuming they are as good as you.

How you interpret that is up to you.

And quite frankly, whether the player is good or not is irrelevant. Don't obfuscate with unnecessary details.

Because the principles applies the same regardless of the actual Elo.

It comes down to bit of probability. If your match chances are in your favor, then your Elo is too low and it'll go up a bit. If your match chances are against your favor, then your Elo is too high and it'll go down. If it is even, then Elo matchmaking has found your level.

You team has an advantage when it comes to getting players at your level and not getting players worse than you as well. Players better than you might be an issue but they are going to be pushed up by Elo matchmaking. So they shouldn't be a major spoiler to the Elo system.

TehomCD

08-13-2012

Players with artificially low Elo were a major problem at low Elo values when dodging allowed you to lower yourself. Right now, the only real way you can expect to run into players who are far, far better than their Elo value represents is either someone who did that and hasn't played in ages so they haven't climbed out yet, someone with a high Elo player on their account to climb them out (clearly against the rules but also impossible to enforce), or a smurf account that just started ranked and somehow didn't hit gold in their placement matches due to extremely poor luck.

All these situations, while possible, are pretty rare. In general, they shouldn't produce enough noise in the system to hold you in low Elo for any extended period of time, no moreso than an unlucky streak of leavers on your team would.

theycallmePWNBOT

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssraeshza View Post
There is no such thing as ELO hell. It's just something people say when they lose a lot.
what a dip****

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmePWNBOT View Post
what a dip****
Look, you can make yourself look like a jerk all you want, but it's really not healthy and doesn't belong here (nor does the necro).

Fs Son0fSilas

08-31-2012

For any one that doesn't know, "necroing" is bumping old threads that are no longer relavent.

CrazyMuffin32

09-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn3rgyz View Post
doesn't account for the amount of jungle shen, AP ashe and "I'm last pick but i'm solo top and if i'm not i'll just feed" that I encounter
jungle shen is actually viable and i love him as a jungler, AP ashe and the third is truly troll.

dieselPVC

12-27-2012

The amount of last picks that say "top or feed" or "mid or feed" and actually feed is way too damn high.

seem's like every game at low elo you get at least 1 troll, thus, elo hell is real.

Jebsauce

12-27-2012

I started playing a couple months ago and let me tell you, elo hell is real. I did play probably 100+ 5v5 normals before I decided to play ranked for obvious reasons, to be decent.

Almost every game I get someone saying "surrender at 20, I'm feeding". Or they don't get their spot and then play the wrong position or purposely feed (many just run straight at turrets all game). I also get HORRIBLE junglers/supports almost every game. The supports don't ward and like to chase the adc around and die repeatedly. The junglers like to either not gank at all, gank only one lane, or gank 2v1 at enemy turret and die.

Then you have the people who think they are amazing and if they die they blame you (normally I'm jungle) and continually harass you all game with "your ****ty bla bla bla" comments and then ask the other team to report you every 5 minutes or so. (note to crappy people who think they are amazing, It's not my fault you died at your lane because I'm at the other side of the map...it's called map awareness). Of course you also have the people who just AFK 2 minutes into the game or go afk if we are losing by a few kills.

Another hugely annoying fact is that once champion selection is done, and someone is feeling butthurt, they talk trash to everyone and it starts up a who can trash talk the most contest.

Really wish I had someone good to DUO with but all my friends/relatives who play this game are 1500-2000k elo and won't help. I know this is an old thread but I need a rant -_-

edit: Also, I'm pretty patient and if someone is new I don't mind helping them or giving them advice if they ask for it. Heck, we all make stupid plays including me. It's the people who are intentionally trolling, feeding, and talking **** that make it impossible to get out of this 900 elo range that I'm currently stuck in.

edit2: If you are new play with a friend who is fairly familiar with League, so you have a better chance of making an elo where people actually want to play and not leave/ragequit or something else along the lines

nothing like you

02-04-2013

elo hell does exist, there are people in the bronze division that are seriously so bad at the game that they make it a point to ruin it for others, a player named Rainoke was playing garen just now and I said "This is the last game of my series and I get to move up a division" and he said "Oh im going to purposely throw the game because of that" and he proceeded to die 4 times before 20 mins and then he ksed the carries for the remainder of the game until we lost.