What is ELO hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

05-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tSoutSou View Post
I'm not one of the best players...I cannot make the difference in my team,but elo hell does exist!yes it exists,but it needs a method and some luck to get out before it's too late...
I know what i can do out there,my elo must be around 1300 idk really...i fell to 900 elo,losing 26 ranked in a row!i read forums and articles which said take a player,master him,and u will climb...i mastered yorick,played around 40 games in a row with him...i found myself zoning so hard the opponent that they had to camp at top lane...with him i climbed back to were i started...1100 elo...now it's ok i'm playing as amumu/skarner and managed to climb to 1220...and i keep going...
the method is to master a solo top,climb in elo that u can trust ur team and then roam it out as a jungler....and keep going...
You 'must' be around 1300? It couldn't be that you're improving and as a result your Elo is going up?

Xeneros

06-10-2012

Elo hell does exist, and it's due to more than what most people bring up. There are the obvious things such as there being trolls, far too many in the game, who obviously wouldn't be able to be in the higher elo just because they troll so often. There's the people who've also just given up so they don't pay as much attention when queing up and as a result you can get a bad team comp from someone autolocking, or random picking. But these things are preventable, not in the current state of the game though, because riot appearantly believes it is fair to give consequences to people who dodge ques, when that might be the only way to dodge an obvious troll. So instead of possibly being able to look for a group that has a 50% chance to win, you are either stuck with an instant loss, or a much slower but still likely loss.

Also elo was built for a 1v1 system and as such has a much larger margin of error in a team based system.

I have lowered myself to 400 elo because I wasn't sure how it worked at the start, and until very recently I didn't realize that dodging a que would lower my elo. After many times dodging because of someone autolocking or someone refusing to play someone else and so ending up with 3 ad carrys in bot lane or something along those lines i ended up there. Now, after having tried despite major frustrations, I have gotten up to 500 elo, but it's attrocious how many people, either never connect or leave at this low. The only really sure way to go up is to duo que because you have that much higher of a chance of not having a troll.

Oh, and yeah, I'm not the best player and I know I need to improve, but I played in a tournament and my team came first, and I carried in a few of the games quite well, so I'm not terrible as my elo would suggest.

0ddzilla

06-19-2012

Elo is nearly meaningless, particularly at low levels, and in random matchups.

You cant pick your team, you cant stop people from leaving and trolling. There is only so much you can do if your team sucks. You could be a god among mortals, but you cannot win a game with a terrible team, if the other team is competent.

I started at 1200, and had a few losses that were completely on me, because I was not prepared for the new style, and general skill of the players. I continued to drop even as I found myself against manageable opponents, I made all the right moves, but a series of feeders, and leavers and trolls kept me going down and down.

I just lost a game today that my team had in our pocket because someone left. I was wrecking them, but not enough people to push, and they eventually pushed through.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ddzilla View Post
Elo is nearly meaningless, particularly at low levels, and in random matchups.

You cant pick your team, you cant stop people from leaving and trolling. There is only so much you can do if your team sucks. You could be a god among mortals, but you cannot win a game with a terrible team, if the other team is competent.

I started at 1200, and had a few losses that were completely on me, because I was not prepared for the new style, and general skill of the players. I continued to drop even as I found myself against manageable opponents, I made all the right moves, but a series of feeders, and leavers and trolls kept me going down and down.

I just lost a game today that my team had in our pocket because someone left. I was wrecking them, but not enough people to push, and they eventually pushed through.
Nobody makes all the right moves, and statistically the enemy is more likely to have a leaver/troll/feeder than your team unless you yourself are one. Sure you might have a few bad games, but if you can't start making progress after 15-20 games, then you're at least close to where you belong; the farther you are from your 'true' Elo, the easier it is for you to carry a game.

granada7

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Nobody makes all the right moves, and statistically the enemy is more likely to have a leaver/troll/feeder than your team unless you yourself are one. Sure you might have a few bad games, but if you can't start making progress after 15-20 games, then you're at least close to where you belong; the farther you are from your 'true' Elo, the easier it is for you to carry a game.
I agree with you more believe, a tactic rather 900-1200 to leave the link called "hell" when playing the ad jungle ranged and is easier to earn more and having a good duo.

beebzu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

ELO hell does exist, but you usually have to be rather bad or unlucky with trolls or leavers to get there. If you truly believe that you should have a higher elo, but are stuck in "hell" you could try to duo q with a friend who has a far higher elo than you and trusts your playing ability. The higher the elo you are in, the less chance you have of getting trolled.

Cathunter

07-07-2012

i'm scared to play rank now. i have 5win 3 lose. those 3 lose- first game twich went afk at lvl5. second game i got shen! still lose garen said we need three ppl top to kill olaf. garen got force of nature as his first item besides boot. Third game that scared me the most our last guy did not pick a support he picked grave and said he wanted top, so i have to go bot as jax. he got 13 cs at 15 min i swear 13 cs got killed 4-5 times. HELL!. Other 5 wins. within 3 there are feeders but i did get through. I decided never play support or jungler in ranked games, because jungler they QQ about you not ganking, even you helped winning their lane. Support ADC TOO DUMB CANT GET THEIR CS. An ashe got 49cs by 15 min 76 by 20 min~~ BS

Brandon12332

07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by You are Myself View Post
i'm scared to play rank now. i have 5win 3 lose. those 3 lose- first game twich went afk at lvl5. second game i got shen! still lose garen said we need three ppl top to kill olaf. garen got force of nature as his first item besides boot. Third game that scared me the most our last guy did not pick a support he picked grave and said he wanted top, so i have to go bot as jax. he got 13 cs at 15 min i swear 13 cs got killed 4-5 times. HELL!. Other 5 wins. within 3 there are feeders but i did get through. I decided never play support or jungler in ranked games, because jungler they QQ about you not ganking, even you helped winning their lane. Support ADC TOO DUMB CANT GET THEIR CS. An ashe got 49cs by 15 min 76 by 20 min~~ BS
You can never rise up if you don't play ranked ever again. I personally wouldn't solo queue too much myself and just play ranked with friends so I can count on them (but then again, I have never played Ranked).

Jyrachi

Recruiter

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocolocyntosis View Post
if you are "stuck in ELO hell" just buy twitch who while not amazing, owns sucky players.
Three things I instantly Hate about this post:
1. You're influencing players to play 1 single champion.
2. If they play ONLY that champion, more people will get matched up with them who "MUST" play him. (*Cough* *Cough* Master Yi *Cough*)
3. If people focus on one champion what happens when others want to play as him?
The Inevitable answer, This was horrible advice. Stick to the champions who suit you and give you the best results whether it is Sona, or Draven. NEVER stick with ONE SINGLE CHAMPION. Also Twitch "Owns sucky players" indeed, but is horrible to solve the ELO Hell Problem, because while he owns sucky players, when you get matched up with non-sucky players your ELO will drop even further. Never take shortcuts like easily countered champion spam.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICryos View Post
Three things I instantly Hate about this post:
1. You're influencing players to play 1 single champion.
2. If they play ONLY that champion, more people will get matched up with them who "MUST" play him. (*Cough* *Cough* Master Yi *Cough*)
3. If people focus on one champion what happens when others want to play as him?
The Inevitable answer, This was horrible advice. Stick to the champions who suit you and give you the best results whether it is Sona, or Draven. NEVER stick with ONE SINGLE CHAMPION. Also Twitch "Owns sucky players" indeed, but is horrible to solve the ELO Hell Problem, because while he owns sucky players, when you get matched up with non-sucky players your ELO will drop even further. Never take shortcuts like easily countered champion spam.
Aaaaaand you're responding to a post from 2010... Classy.