GAREN COMBO ( what to buy )

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2 Quick 4 U

10-28-2010

what are good things to buy when you are playing as garen ?

where is the sunfire cape?

i hear it is good

how so ?

xpsychedelico

10-28-2010

For Garen you want to build tanky, so look for items under Defense > Armor/Magic Resist. Sunfire Capes are under Armor. Armor is good against DPS champions who buy Attack Damage (AD) items like BF swords/Infinity Edge/Bloodthirster etc. Magic Resist is good against casters who buy Ability Power (AP) items like Rod of Ages, Void Staff, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, etc. Buying the right defense against the right enemies is what you need to do as a tank.

SlackWareWolf

10-28-2010

Sunfire Cape is good because it gives your Armor (Which works well on Garen obviously) but I think the reason most people like it, is that you can stack damage on it. Basically, when you have Sunfire Cape, the other team is NOT going to have a good time because you'll be doing damage to them every second. And since it stacks, you can get more than one, and do more.

If you ever look on Mobafire, a lot of builds for Mordekaiser seem to really like it too. Basically that's the reason people like it.

For "Other" Items, it really depends on how you play. Some people like to play Garen as a Tank. Some people don't. My cousin is the only person I know who really plays him a lot, so I'll use him as an example:

Basically, he builds him two ways; I'll try and help but I don't personally don't play him much so I can't go into as much detail as I'm sure others here can. Here are two of the ways my Cousin plays with Garen:

#1. Tank. Basically, you get a lot of Armor and or Magic Resist (Depending on what kind of team you're playing) and you can basically take a lot of damage, and, of course, because of the little spinning Sword Figure Skating Move, yo can run in, Silence the other team, and take the damage they DO manage to deal, while you're team blasts the **** out of them.

You should always play situationally though. If you're up against a team... OK, basically, if you're playing against a team full of Champs such as Master Yi, Warwick, Tristana, and so on, basically Champs who use their Basic Attack as a means of doing damage, you'll want Armor for this since it blocks Damage from Basic Attacks.

If you're up again a team like Malzahar, Ryze, Karthus, and so on, you're going to want Magic Resist, since Magic Resist works EXACTLY like Armor, but it works for Abilities that do damage, instead of the Basic Attack.

This is one way you can pick your Items situationally, so that you're ready for whatever the other team is going to throw at you.

Just as a quickie example, last night, I was playing a game with my Cousin, and one random person in a 3v3. On the other team, there was a person using Lux, and, I might add, VERY well. The ultimate does so much damage, and I was playing a squishy Caster, so I was getting my ass kicked by her for a while. I ended up getting killed 10 times early on. I couldn't even run a way. She would stun me, blast my ass with her ult, and run off.

I decided after buying Arch Angel's Staff, that I needed to do something so I could stop dying so often. I ended up buying Force of Nature. This adds Magic Resist, and not just that, but it also have good Health Regeneration. So, after I did this, not only did I start lasting longer in my lane, but, I stopped dying. Her ultimate wasn't basically one shotting me anymore.

#2. Critical / Damage. My cousin does this once in a while, but I personally don't like when he does. For some reason we don't seem to do as well. I would like to point out that these are NOT the only ways you can play Garen, but two that I've personally had experience with. Basically, you get Items that do the following:

The next time you're in a game, or, starting up a practice game, load up the store, and look in the Items. Go to Attack, then Damage, and look around. Garen has a very good ability to be built in multiple ways, and he can REALLY do some damage output. If you get Infinity Edge for example, no Champ on the other side is going to want to be near you.

You can also look at "Critical Strike" and see what there is to buy there.

Another thing to think about; When you first open the Store's Window, go to defense, and then, as I said before, look at the other team! Do they have casters? Damage dealers? Act accordingly and get the Magic Resist for Casters, or, get straight Armor.

I personally would recommend this:

When you go to play a game next time, try a practice instead. If you don't want to worry about other people annoying you while you're trying to test out your ideas, just do a game with all bots, and this way, not only will you have some time to decide what you like best, but you don't have to worry about other people complaining if an idea isn't working.

Sorry about the long post, but even though I'm not a total newbie anymore, I do still sit down and do practice games when I want to try something out.

I don't ever try things like this out, like new ideas, new builds, or new Items, in a normal game. If my idea sucks, or doesn't work, I don't want my team to suffer because of it.

Anyway, good luck!

Hipstercat1000

01-23-2014

i have a stupid build that i use quite a bit and it works. it is a build that makes you a power house late game.i start out getting 3 berserkers boots and then i move on to getting 2 black cleavers and the last slot is health pots and wards. the black cleavers give you a good amount of health and damage and the boots give you a very fast attack speed compared to your base attack speed and very good movement speed. for abilities i focus on the spin and the charge ability so you can get to your enemy and then spin all over him.

Any feedback or comments on how this works out for you would be great.

drewba

01-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipstercat1000 View Post
i have a stupid build that i use quite a bit and it works. it is a build that makes you a power house late game.i start out getting 3 berserkers boots and then i move on to getting 2 black cleavers and the last slot is health pots and wards. the black cleavers give you a good amount of health and damage and the boots give you a very fast attack speed compared to your base attack speed and very good movement speed. for abilities i focus on the spin and the charge ability so you can get to your enemy and then spin all over him.

Any feedback or comments on how this works out for you would be great.
2QUICK4U - do NOT take this guys advice.

Look at the passive on Garen's W - it gives Garen an additional 20% Armor & Magic Resist as long as you put a point into that skill. That's a ton of free stats. So Sunfire Cape provides 45 Armor, you're immediately up to 54 armor thanks to his W passive. Sunfire cape also does magic damage to nearby units which helps you trade with your opponent and push your lane really hard (something Garen already does pretty well), plus an additional 450 HP. Buy a Spirit Visage if they have a fair amount of AP on their team or Randuins Omen for more Armor. Thornmail can work if their team is mostly AD.

As far as damage, Black Cleaver, Maw of Malmortius or Infinity Edge/Last Whisper are good buys, but you generally will only have enough money to get one because you want to build full tank, right? Black Cleaver is best for your team, Maw is to get some damage and stack more magic resist, Infinity Edge/Last Whisper is if you're super fed.

Junarii

01-23-2014

You don't always build the same things. Garen has a basic item build, and since he's a tank he'll mostly buy tanky items, but that doesn't mean there's a single definitive build for him.

In general: build more damage the further ahead you are, prioritize armor versus AD-heavy teams, and MR versus AP-heavy teams.

Good early items are Sunfire Cape, tier 1 boots (Boots of Speed), and Brutalizer.

There are a ton of places to go from here, though. Thornmail/Randuins for AD tankiness, Spirit Visage for AP tankiness, Maw for a mix of AP tankiness and damage, Black Cleaver/Hydra/BotRK/Last Whisper for damage, and so on.