A Question about MMR

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ilvlslo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2013

So how many wins do you need in a row for MMR to realize you aren't just on a winstreak, and that you actually belong higher than you currently are?

Because my MMR seems to be moving like a snail. I was gold last season, and went 6/4 on my placement matches. Of course, same old story, AFKs, DC, etc. I was placed in Silver 1 (barely I presume) based on that, and i lost two games immediately after placing, for similar reasons. out of those 12 losses, I "Deserved," only 2 of them, essentially. There was abo****ely nothing I could do in champ select or in game once it was started (and I couldnt dodge the obvious trolls due to losing league points). I've lost a bit here and there, but so far I'm on a 6 win streak in the other direction. And it's not luck in the other direction, it's me carrying every game in whatever role I'm in with 16/2/8 AD carry games, Jungler games where I get two lanes utterly fed to the point that we take late game, etc.

I want to believe the assertion that even if I did have a bad luck string, that my "True ELO," will bear itself out in time. With this new MMR system, I don't feel like that's happening. I'm just losing more and more LP per win (only won 8 LP with 48 league points: I understand it slows down near promotion series, but I'm literally not even halfway there at this rate).

I was a solid gold player last season, and that's borne out in my games. I'm not claiming to be some bro plat/diamond ADC that should be in LCS: I just want to know my MMR is paying attention to my wins instead of assuming I'm merely on a win streak, when so far, my "Win streak," is almost double the size of my losing streak that happened when points mattered more.

There needs to be some kind of system to compensate for the fact those first few games mean so much: because it's MMR system really put me below where I should be. At least with the ELO systems at about 20 games played and same w/l ratio as right now I was still gaining/losing 25 ELO a game. This feels like the equivalent of gaining/losing 10, and I've only played 20 ranked games this season. So, what do? Can someone explain the deeper mechanics behind the MMR system? Do I need to hit a 20 win streak before it realizes "oh hai, he did get unlucky those first few!"? I just want the system to be more fair, and God forbid, somehow be a bit more like season 1/most of season 2 ELO system in that regard. I didn't think I'd see the day I thought that system was a milestone for rating balance...

TL; DR: How exactly does MMR work, how long does it take for it to recalibrate your MMR, and more SoloQ luck QQ. (Essentially)

cheeser01

02-18-2013

Like the devs say "play lots of games, and keep winning"

Ilvlslo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser01 View Post
Like the devs say "play lots of games, and keep winning"
I bought this better when they had a ranking system that didn't punish so harshly. This new system punishes far easier than it rewards, but I'd like to know the specifics of the MMR system, which is what my post was asking. Your response was pretty useless, therefore :P Since I obviously plan to keep doing that anyway, I just want to know when the MMR system finally wakes up and sees that my "Winning streak," isn't mere a streak and indicative of something. When it's 2x my losing streak? 3x bigger? =/

Azim196

03-23-2013

Ugh... Me and my duo partner got placed in Bronze I, and Silver V or something for whatever reason. Then we played ranked duo and won 12 in a row I believe and I noticed that our duo team started being placed with Gold I teamates (there were no lower ranks to balance this.) and the enemy team had a Platinum V. This happened a bunch of matches in a row... So the new system is "If you are silver ranked, to mover up you must beat Gold I and Plat V players?" We were Silver III and Silver I by this time. Seems like the system sucks to me. Anyone wanna point me to some topics that'd explain this?