[Solo Q Secrets #008] Kills, Kills, Kills… Using Smart Aggression Secrets

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ryzeonline

02-18-2013

NOTE 0: Part of this post features a guest poster, my 1860+ ELO friend, ZenTroll (http://twitch.tv/z3ntroll). He’s a much better fit to write about this topic than me, but I keep learning from people like him.

NOTE 1: I don't have ELO to back me up. My rank sucks, but I still have wisdom to share, and I do play with many high-ELO friends. I've written a book about League, and I run my own business as a life-coach.

I share what I've learned here aimed to help others. I offer people Fresh, Creative Ideas they may not have heard. I offer a chance to EXPERIMENT and potentially IMPROVE your game EXPERIENCE.

I know you can appreciate the time it took to write, and I trust you'll be gentle and kind.

But, hey... if you gotta hate, or take sides, or pick fights -- best of luck to ya, I'm sure it'll
take you far in life

NOTE 2: Like my other Solo Q “Secrets”, these are just my own experiences, and conclusions I’ve discovered. I’m a human being, I’m sharing things I feel will help others. They are SUGGESTED EXPERIMENTS.

---

Quote:
The Story:

“WTF? Why didn’t you iceball him?”

It was the first words my AD Carry had said to me this game.

I’d been warding better than other supports my level, delaying placement to maximize jungler-reveals, as well as throwing them down in lane bushes to prevent escape and loss of targeting.

I’d not taken a point in consume, nor taken any CS.

I’d simply given Vayne a constant phantom dancer.

Nothing wrong with that, eh?

“WTF? Why didn’t you iceball him?”

I felt my jaw tense up and a tightness build in my chest.

It was just a single sentence from a teammate in chat, but it stung like I’d been slapped in the face.

We’d been getting heavily pressured and owned by Miss Fortune for the first 3 levels. They’d been poking us down all lane. We had no heals.

Now we were level 4, and a 70% hp Vayne seemed to think it’d be good if we tower dived a “Miss Fortune + Sona DPS lane”, with full-hp/full-mp/full-summoner spells, complete with doran’s blade, etc.

Oh, and our river ward was about to die, and this wasn`t for “first blood.”

Even if we did dive, there’s no way we were making it back to our turret alive, and the chances were high we wouldn’t even close the kill.

MF + Sona were a basically hard counter to Vayne/Nunu.

But that didn’t matter.

It didn’t matter whether I’d made the right call to hang back, it didn’t matter whether Vayne was right and we coulda closed the kill.

What matter’d is that we were two strangers laning together in solo queue, and the first words out of my lane-mate’s mouth were negative, and worse than that, everything he’d shown to me so far is that he’s a hyper-aggressive kill-chaser.

He’s demonstrated that he’s a score-watcher who doesn’t make smart decisions.

He isn’t playing the game to lead his teammates to victory, he’s an immature school-kid with an axe-to-grind and something to prove.

Hopefully I’d shown him that I was a well-spoken, mature, open-minded support, who’s not stupid enough to get us both killed, instead of just him.

I aimed to, but I don`t think he really got it, because the next thing he said was.

“F***, I hate this ELO, I’m always stuck with noob supports.”

Did he know that I’ve written pages on game strategy?

Did he know that I know Nunu inside and out?

Did he know that most of my 750+ normal wins were played with one of 5 platinum players I’m friends with, and that I’d learned support playing along side them?

No.

And even more importantly, did he know what SMART AGGRESSION was?
And a better question…

….do you know what smart aggression is?

‘Cause in my experience – in League Of Legends, SMART AGGRESSION is absolutely vital.

And I want you to at least have the option of using it in your games, so I’m gonna turn this article over to a guest-poster, a platinum friend of mine, ZenTroll, who’s one of the top Smart-Aggressive players I know.

He’s gonna explain a few of the key ideas behind Smart Aggression:

NOTE: I'm big on everyone being an individual and bringing their own creative style to the table. This advice is basically just "stuff to try". It's really wise, really smart, and really helpful for me personally, and I feel it's gonna help you. ZenTroll is an absolutely fantastic duelist (he's currently 0 + 4 in a 1v1 tourney), and he knows what he's talking about, but if you disagree or it's not for you, that's cool -- there's tons of other guides out there to satisfy you

DAMAGE MANAGEMENT

ESPECIALLY MINION SKILLS

Well, you really can’t go aggressive unless you have a large minion advantage with you. ‘Cause if you look in the death recap after dying in a close duel... you’ll usually find that enemy minions dealt about 250ish damage.

That’s 250 you didn’t need to lose.

That’s 250 you coulda walked away with... as the winner.

So if you can find a way to clear minions (using minimal abilities) in a quick way so that the enemy has no time to retreat -- then engage and win the trade.

That’s good

MAP AWARENESS

ESPECIALLY JUNGLER PRESENCE.

Be aware. First, check if you haven’t seen the enemy jungler in a while, check if any mias were called, and check if the other team has any global presence such as Soraka, Karthus, or Shen ults. If they do, next check if anyone knows how long ago they were used.

If the globals are UP -- don’t go in, just keep farming. That’s smart play.

If the globals are DOWN -- make sure you know everybody isn’t very close to you, then go on in.

The thing is... during a fight it’s VERY EASY to LOSE CONCENTRATION on the rest of the map, ‘cause you’re focusing on maximizing your damage and kiting and such, and it’s easy to miss a MIA or an incoming jungler.

Basically broham... you really have to stay aware or you’ll end up getting constantly ganked by a vigilant enemy jungler or mid player.EXAMPLE

(IE: This includes Summoner Spells, Ultimates Available, Spell Cooldowns, MIAs, Jungler Awareness, Teammates Abilities/Playstyles, etc.)

So there you have it.

There’s some more magical s*** they don’t teach you about LOL from me and ZenTroll… to you.

Personally, I don’t know another LOL place where you can learn powerful concepts like minion skills, and jungler/globals awareness.

This stuff matters.

Any fool can tell you what item is good to build against a tank, or against AP or whatever.

That’s not what’s going to elevate your gameplay.

But mastering Smart Aggression?

Hopefully you can tell, that winning trades the smart way will put you ahead of many.

As usual, I want you to rock. So next time you’re playin’, show off what you`ve learned and secure some sweet kills -- the smart way.

Thanks so much for reading, and I’d love to hear results if you try it!

---

Like this? Read more of the series:

[Solo Q Secrets #001] Surrendering Wins Games
[Solo Q Secrets #002] Boring S*** Gets You Kills
[Solo Q Secrets #003] The Skills Of Strangers (Or... Not)
[Solo Q Secrets #004] ELOs Like Money - Use It Wisely
[Solo Q Secrets #005] P-P-P-P-P-Pokerface.
[Solo Q Secrets #006] Breathe In (The Soul-Crushing Defeat)
[Solo Q Secrets #007] Clash Of The Titans … Personalities
[Solo Q Secrets #009] Make Sense Of The Chaos

Think this series should be seen by more people?

Reply and BUMP IT or...

...CLICK THIS LINK TO TWEET THIS POST TO YOUR FOLLOWERS

Thanks so much, guys!

Keep ryzin'!

ryzeonline

02-18-2013

Bump cuz everyone loves the series Rock on and ryze up!

ZenTroll

02-18-2013

Hey Guys, for anyone whos looked me up and is wondering why I am not actually plat on Zen... On my other account Vaeeguar I was 1860 LAST season. thats all. thanks . and Be sure to note that I'm not perfect, nor is this advice completely fool proof-- it's just my experience of what works best, simply to give you an advantage in lane and winning exchanges. The game play is something you have to come up with on your own, and your own unique play style could work better or worse with this, but this is just a frame, you have to add the picture.

FatherOfNations

02-18-2013

Interesting name "Smart Aggression", unfortunately alot of summoners driven by greed think they could close a kill by rushing into an unknown territory (FoW) only by seeing theres a lone prey while set aside the posibily of being ambushed by enemy champs from the rear (jungle). Or being a rambo pushing the lane alone with the majority of enemies presence unknown often result in bad positioning and death.

Anyway, nice guide to encourage us to think before anything.

one last thing, i don't remember the name who said this but pretty much you can take his wisdom:
"See everything in terms of Risk-Reward, almost like a trade. Determine your entry, exit, & stop loss. Know when to get out"

ryzeonline

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherOfNations View Post
Interesting name "Smart Aggression", unfortunately alot of summoners driven by greed think they could close a kill by rushing into an unknown territory (FoW) only by seeing theres a lone prey while set aside the posibily of being ambushed by enemy champs from the rear (jungle). Or being a rambo pushing the lane alone with the majority of enemies presence unknown often result in bad positioning and death.
Awesome addition, FatherOfNations!

I didn't really cover this too much in the article, and I'm glad you did.

Unnecessary, wasteful chasing is VERY common in the LOL player-base, or at least it is in the ELO I'm in, lol.

There's a huge difference between productive, smart, useful chasing, and being baited like a boss.

Quote:
Anyway, nice guide to encourage us to think before anything.
Yes, thats a key concept, glad you picked up on it

Quote:
one last thing, i don't remember the name who said this but pretty much you can take his wisdom:
"See everything in terms of Risk-Reward, almost like a trade. Determine your entry, exit, & stop loss. Know when to get out"
Hehehe... nice quote, sounds like an investor like Warren Buffet, Benjamin Graham, or Donald Trump

If you're still feelin' it, please bump/tweet the post, or check out the rest of the series -- I feel it's really valuable for the LOL community!

ryzeonline

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenTroll View Post
Hey Guys, for anyone whos looked me up and is wondering why I am not actually plat on Zen... On my other account Vaeeguar I was 1860 LAST season. thats all. thanks . and Be sure to note that I'm not perfect, nor is this advice completely fool proof-- it's just my experience of what works best, simply to give you an advantage in lane and winning exchanges. The game play is something you have to come up with on your own, and your own unique play style could work better or worse with this, but this is just a frame, you have to add the picture.
Oh yeah, respect bro I prolly shoulda mentioned your old acc is Vaeeguar

Love the "this is frame, you add picture" line

ZenTroll

02-18-2013

[QUOTE=ryzeonline;34811501
Love the "this is frame, you add picture" line [/QUOTE]
Deep ****, right?

BlGFISH

02-18-2013

Where is this book you have written? I wouldn't mind taking a look.

I am in Gold IV and would really like to get to plat. I think anyone can get there, but only some who are willing to learn. Which is what I am, I want to learn everything I can and be in the top tier of players.
I know my biggest problem is laning, when I lane I can't seem to win, it will either I lose to an early gank or it is just a farm fest where they get just as much as me. My farming isn't bad especially if it's free, but when taking harrass and trying to bully my opponent, I can't seem to get ahead.

My map awareness is pretty good, I keep my stuff warded and always look at the map every couple seconds while waiting to last hit.

I would just like to know what I can do to get better, even though I realize my mistakes it isn't always easy to learn from them rather than shouldn't have done that.
I also never rage at my team.

ryzeonline

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlGFISH View Post
Where is this book you have written? I wouldn't mind taking a look.
It's called League Of Legends: The $1.00 Guide.
100 tips, 100 pics, 100 pages, 100 cents.

It's from season two but tons of the tips in it still apply.

I'm getting ready to re-release it, stay tuned

Quote:
I am in Gold IV and would really like to get to plat.
Good for you, man! That's fantastic!

Quote:
I think anyone can get there, but only some who are willing to learn. Which is what I am, I want to learn everything I can and be in the top tier of players.
I love this

Quote:
I know my biggest problem is laning, when I lane I can't seem to win, it will either I lose to an early gank or it is just a farm fest where they get just as much as me. My farming isn't bad especially if it's free, but when taking harrass and trying to bully my opponent, I can't seem to get ahead.
Sounds like you know your weaknesses

I'd say a change of attitude is absolutely essential, but most people wont tell you what attitude to change, or how to change it

Quote:
My map awareness is pretty good, I keep my stuff warded and always look at the map every couple seconds while waiting to last hit.
A great start...

Quote:
I would just like to know what I can do to get better, even though I realize my mistakes it isn't always easy to learn from them rather than shouldn't have done that.
I also never rage at my team.
Okay, well I can offer help, because I'm a success-coach, and that's what I do. It's my life. I live and breathe helping people succeed.

At the same time, my rank in LoL is weak, and I haven't put much focus on improving it. So if that bothers you, ignore what I say.

But I'd say this:

1. Attitude change:
Instead of "laning is hard", "I can't seem to do it", switch to:

"I've had trouble in the past, but going forward will be easier."
"The same way I've improved and gone from Bronze to Gold, I'll continue to improve from Gold to Plat"
"I have an open mind, and I know I'm getting closer with every little thing I learn."
etc.

2. Environment change:
I don't know who you play with, but there is a giant list of platinum players, and a giant list of PRO LOLers.

Connect with them.
Figure out how.

When people get stuck, hit a plateau, or can't improve, it's key to change the environment and get involved in something "higher level" -- My T-shirt design is currently winning Voyboy's T-Shirt design contest, if I win it is very likely I'll develop a stronger relationship with Voyboy, and then suddenly I'm connected with a pro-level LOLer and I have access to all kinds of circles, resources, tips, and practice I may not have had before.

3. Create your own practice.

Instead of trying to win games, start laning with the weakest, squishiest, most delicate champs you can find with no escapes -- make it a real challenge, and then when you play games, measure your success based on How Long You Can Live without a gank, or measure it based on How Much Damage You Mitigate -- you may still die, but you'll get to see improvement and if you're getting better.

You may find that you like a cloth armor start, a small change, but one that many pros use, and that has huge results.

You may find that you like more "mobile" blinky champs.

You may find you like a rune page w extra AD/AS to last hit super well, combined with a dorans blade.

There are so many ways to break plateaus, those are just 3.

The most powerful one to me, is to make a personal decision like this:

Quote:
"I have everything I need inside me to be plat. I have all the skills, talent, instincts, knowledge, etc. -- and right here, right now, I totally f***ing decide to do whatever it takes to show it all to myself."
This is the type of decision athletes like Lebron James make when things are rough. This is a life-changing decision, and only a few human beings will make it.

The rest will just b***ch and moan about "n00b teams" and "bad luck."

If you can make a decision like that -- with passion -- plat is yours.

Gydeinn

02-19-2013

Your story reminded me of a game that I had a while ago, I was playing Nunu (whom I have had a lot of success with, and know like the back of my hand) with either Vayne or Ashe adc (I think it was Ashe). Everything was running smoothly, I kept her blood boiled, I always had wards on me, and was constantly placing them down, both in the river and lane bushes when I felt their support was going to be a threat, I pinged any enemy I saw, pinged back whomever I felt the need to, and, most importantly, zoned the heck out of the enemy adc, especially when their support left the lane.

Now, as much as I try to be on top of things, sometimes I'll forget to ward the river, especially if I'm trying to harrass in lane. Queue Ashe's "this Nunu never wards, and doesn't do anything. He's so useless". This was while I was actively zoning, and harrassing.

A needed note to a lot of adc's (well, bot lane in general): If you want your lane to run smoothly, treat your support with respect (and supports, do the same). If they're experienced support players, they're more than likely doing more than what they let on. If you're rude to your lane partner, you can bet that the lane is going to fall apart and it would just end in frustration for both of you. If your support isn't warding, ask them to ward it. If the lane is lost, and the adc is playing too aggressively, remind them that they're weaker than the enemy, and playing like that isn't a good idea. If your laning partner won't listen, unfortunately, there isn't much you can do but make the best of a bad situation.

On that note, if your support did exceptionally well, don't forget to thank them, or give them recognition. I can guarantee you or any one else on your team will get more congratulations than they will, even if they did a lot of the work as well.