@Riot, can we actually talk about Janna?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

parnellyx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We're going to be giving Janna a little love, likely undoing one of the nerfs. Statikk will have details when it's done
Please redo the ratio nerf on her W? i want to play AP Janna again!

allorstrol

03-07-2013

i played janna on my 2nd or 3rd match and i did very good ever since. idk since im a noob (not as much as i was a month or two ago) but does janna not pull through in higher level matches? i pulled off to get 2 kills alone in bottom lane last match and i dont really see too much of an disadvantage, albiet that i had to use ignite to help push other champions off. or was she just a lot better before the change.

Qsario

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by allorstrol View Post
i played janna on my 2nd or 3rd match and i did very good ever since. idk since im a noob (not as much as i was a month or two ago) but does janna not pull through in higher level matches? i pulled off to get 2 kills alone in bottom lane last match and i dont really see too much of an disadvantage, albiet that i had to use ignite to help push other champions off. or was she just a lot better before the change.
Your main problem will be doing 0 damage (AP Janna can, but you can't afford meaningful AP on a support's budget and you will disadvantage yourself if you try... just ask the last Janna who tried to rush Rod of Ages vs. my Janna). So you can't poke and your only sustain comes from that shield, which you essentially have to be able to drop on your ADC the second you hear Caitlyn activate Q, or the like. Oh, and the ult is very hard to properly position for. You can easily save enemies or accidentally push them towards a weakened teammate. Granted, you can also do fun things like trapping them below your turret or pushing them into the laser (as many times as I've done it, that never gets old; they never see it coming).

If you have ignite, I can only assume you're playing AP Janna? AP Janna suffers from high CDs and the fact that only two of her spells do direct damage. Yes, you can shield and autoattack, but her range is rather short. Support Janna has no reason to take ignite. Take some combination of flash/heal/exhaust and maybe CV if you learn to use it effectively. Teleport might also be a possibility, but probably only if you were coordinating that with friends.

She was a lot stronger in the past. Her AP ratios were higher, the damage buff from her shield outlasted the shield itself, her ult was larger and slowed anyone going into it and her Q had a longer knockup, among other things. Once upon a time, she was the "Queen of Supports", but that was quite a few nerfs ago.

She's still fun to play, though. Some unknown, but very large percentage of my games played are Janna games. I wouldn't be surprised if there were stretches where I played over 100 Janna games in a row. I even had something like a 15-game win streak with her some time ago.

allorstrol

03-07-2013

aw, i wish i could have played janna before the nerfs. and her ulti used to slow enimies too!??!?

yea i only tried ignite once and that went somewhat well. i had Clairvoyance and Heal for the longest time while i had no real use with Clarity other than anivia

oh well its sad that my only good character was so nerfed and could have been a lot more stronger and effective

Zuphlas

03-07-2013

Bug fixes are cool and all, but needing a normalized AA range is still a pretty big deal.

You guys haven't even bothered to come back to this thread to talk about your plans or discuss the ideas people have been giving, it's beyond irritating. That's the worst part.

Aeolian Melodies

03-07-2013

Agreed, a lot of people are following this thread, if Riot could come here to discuss/explain their plan for Janna here, rather than just saying "we're looking into her" and then giving us a buff that doesn't solve anything and a bug fix, that would be lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Rook View Post
So much everything you said. :< I used to looooove Janna. I had the most clutch of clutch tornados, when my friends laned with me thy used to tell me that they were even surprised to see my tornados when they showed up, it was my favorite skill in League to belt out, and I did so much good with it back then. But still, I figured I could live with the nerf to it. It was still good for an interrupt.
But the day they destroyed her E was the day I realized I wasn't going to be playing her for a very long time. It's just too ridiculous. If they thought it was op they could have just nerfed the bonus ad a little, I would have been totally ok with that! But instead they decided to destroy their most beloved support champion.

I'd like to think Riot is listening to this thread because of her recent mana-cost buff on her ultimate, but sadly just that isn't enough to draw me back to her quite yet. Hopefully they do some more stuff with Janna...
I'm still playing her. I'm still winning more than I lose with Janna. But (not trying to brag) that's mostly due to me being a good Janna player and a good support player overall. Every game that I win with Janna I could've won it with another support (and probably with an easier laning phase to boot).

Aeolian Melodies

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by allorstrol View Post
aw, i wish i could have played janna before the nerfs. and her ulti used to slow enimies too!??!?

yea i only tried ignite once and that went somewhat well. i had Clairvoyance and Heal for the longest time while i had no real use with Clarity other than anivia

oh well its sad that my only good character was so nerfed and could have been a lot more stronger and effective
Go Flash/Exhaust (safest bet) or Heal/Exhaust (for more direct impact in lane fights, but only if you can manage well without Flash) on her. Exhaust is a very powerful and potent spell. Ignite secures the kill on the support, and CV isn't what it once was.

Yes, over 2 years ago Janna could channel Monsoon and she'd get an AoE slow ontop of the HoT (30%, nerfed down from 40%).

God Karthus NA

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We're going to be giving Janna a little love, likely undoing one of the nerfs. Statikk will have details when it's done
A little? That's fine. But do not overbuff her just because this dumb bat**** community thinks she's UP because she became unpopular due to the nerfs.
She always had and still has an incredibly high win rate in solo queue. Giving her more than a tweak or two would be stupid.

Aeolian Melodies

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloMidKarthus View Post
A little? That's fine. But do not overbuff her just because this dumb bat**** community thinks she's UP because she became unpopular due to the nerfs.
She always had and still has an incredibly high win rate in solo queue. Giving her more than a tweak or two would be stupid.
If you think pro players are dumb bat****, then sure. Please tell me more about the pro teams being too noob to play Janna, or too sheep to find her a place in their team comps. Hell, the teams are more AD heavy than ever, and there are tons of "hur dur rush carry!!" team comp, if Janna was still good she'd get picked much more because she fits and counter those comps. But the truth is, she ISN'T picked.

She became unpopular because her nerfs + new champions being introduced made her unable to do her job (protect the carry like a boss), thus Janna is UP.

Janna's win rate is a biased stat. She is played only by ACTUAL Janna players, even in her free weeks I don't see her anymore (and I used to dread free weeks because they'd be full of noob Jannas), of course a champion who is only played by dedicated players is going to get more success than a FOTM champion like Taric or J4, or a champion who is seen as "easy" like Sona, because those champions get played by everybody and their mothers. It's common sense.

Her pick rate would be a better indication, and seeing as I never see her in competitions or in my games (excluding myself), I'm guessing it must be pretty low. Everybody gets picked to support over Janna.

numbsy

03-07-2013

if they undo the shield nerf, because you drew their attention with this great detailed post, i'm gonna find you and kiss you really hard ! ^^
also, bump :3