League Judgment - Kayle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LeonHetheWriter

10-27-2010

Candidate: Kayle
Date: 13 March, 19 CLE

OBSERVATION

Kayle stands on the ground. Her wings are folded upon her back, feathers preened and in perfect arrangement. Her golden armor shines in the light, immaculately polished. She holds her sword in both hands, pointed to the floor, and bows her head. Her face is hidden beneath her helmet as she whispers a prayer in her native tongue.

Her movement exudes divine grace, not wasting a motion as she glides towards the stone doors. She holds her sword in a single hand, though it is so large it would require a lesser being twice as many. Beneath the visor, the endless skies of her pupils study the plaque. It reads, “The truest opponent lies within.” Kayle removes her helmet, revealing golden hair and a face that can only be described as angelic. She issues but two words, her voice decided and unforgiving.

“I accept.”

JUDGMENT

Kayle sat on a cloud, basking in the light of the gods, dressed in a simple robe for children. Her wings were going through their first molting, and she could not fly just then. Instead, she watched her sister tumble and frolic through the skies, her honeyed voice laughing as her snowy hair fluttered through in the air. She wasn't flying because she had anywhere to go. She was just doing it because they were new, not even old enough for their first shedding, and because she wanted to.

“Morgana, you can't fly like that. It's not allowed,” Kayle said. She could hear her voice as a child, lacking any of the sternness she should have commanded.

“But sister, it's so fun. Why do the gods say we're not allowed to do anything that's fun?” Kayle saw her sister hovering in front of her. She could feel the breeze from Morgana's wings rustling her hair. Kayle put on the best look of anger her young face could muster and scolded her sister.

“The gods have good reason for everything they tell us, so we have to listen. Now stop that before you get into trouble.” Kayle could see Morgana's face fall as she landed on the cloud. Kayle felt the sunlight dim, when she turned to her sulking sister.”Let me braid your hair, Morgana." Her voice was much softer. "I'll make it look pretty this time, I promise.”

“I want to braid your hair!” Morgana pouted as she stretched her wings and pounded them through the air them in frustration. “You should let your hair grow long so we can do it together!” Kayle tugged on one of her sunny locks and smiled. She nearly promised to let her hair grow out when the sun flared, blinding her.

When the angel regained sight, her arms were swinging a wooden sword down at Morgana. Her sister was shrieking in fright, huddling behind a sword of her own, too scared to grip it properly. The training weapons clacked on each other, and the shock rattled Morgana's stick out of her hands. Kayle struck again, catching Morgana on the wrist. It was a cursory blow, only enough to leave a sharp pain and a bruise, but Kayle could see her sister fall to the floor, clutch her wrist, and sob.

“I'm sorry, Morgana,” Kayle said. She felt her stomach wrench. She remembered how she pleaded with the gods to wait for another two years before Morgana begun her training. Her sister was brilliant, but simply too young, she said. The gods were deaf to her voice and commanded Kayle to teach her the sword, and to be as strict as she would with any student. She had to obey, but the gods had to understand showing mercy just this once. “Let me help, I can use magic to take the pain away.” Kayle reached out to her baby sister, but Morgana swatted her hand away.

“Shut up! Shut up, Kayle! I hate you!” Morgana spat the words while nursing her injury. Kayle wanted to say something, about how she had almost convinced the gods to let Morgana skip sparring and start magic lessons early, but words failed her. Her lips were sealed as she gathered the swords from the training hall and returned them to the armory. Morgana laid on the floor, tears running down her face the entire time. Light overtook Kayle's sense again.

She was in her silver armor trimmed with green. Through the narrow slit in her helmet, she could see Morgana, almost fully grown, standing between Kayle and her mark. The man was a necromancer, one who manipulated the force of death for his own power. The gods had judged him guilty of mortal sin and had sent Kayle to execute him. But he was also Morgana's lover.

“Stand aside,” Kayle commanded. The helmet caused her voice to resonate, giving it a commanding aura that would have forced lesser beings to obey. Morgana stood still. “The gods have deemed this man a necromancer, and he must die.”

“He is a healer, sister!” Morgana's voice begged Kayle for mercy, but it would not penetrate her armor. “His command over life and death is no different from ours. He cures the sick and saves the lives of the dying. Why is it forbidden for him to share our talents?”

“Morgana, you are the Light of Truth. Do not be blind. A mortal does not understand or judge as we do. Thus, it is forbidden.” When Kayle raised her sword, Morgana screamed and dove on top of the man, shielding his body with her own. Kayle flew at the pair and ran her blade through Morgana, into the necromancer. Her sister's body went limp, and Kayle threw her aside to get a better shot at the man. Her sword came down again, removing his head from his body. Once more she struck, plunging the tip of her weapon into his heart. There was no mercy for heretics.

“Kayle, why?” She could her Morgana's voice, weak and fading, but dripping with sorrow. Kayle flew to her side and cradled her sister's body in her arms. She gathered a healing light. Her magic was not as potent as Morgana's, but it would save her sister's life. Kayle applied it, as she saw the color drain from Morgana's body. Her sister was unconscious, but she would live. Unfortunately, Kayle knew she would not learn.

Without warning, Morgana's body snapped to life, wings beating in the air. She looked down at Kayle, gaze piercing the visor. “Why do you want to join the League, Kayle?”

“You threaten to end the existence of my people with Runeterra's magic,” she responded, her voice automatic and unwavering. “It was agreed that when I join, that magic will be forbidden to you.” The image of young Morgana floated down to Kayle, and stared at her, eye to eye. Kayle felt her sister lifting away her helmet, and for the first time in ages she saw Morgana's face clearly. Morgana asked her again.

“Why do you want to join the League, Kayle?” The angel stood silent for a moment. She looked to the necromancer's body, and then to the scar on Morgana's stomach.

“Because I failed you." Kayle fell to her knees and hung her head, her sword clattering to the ground. "I failed to protect you, baby sister, and if I must suffer in this cold, forsaken hell as my punishment, then I accept.”

Why do you want to join the League, Kayle?” The question came a third time. Kayle clenched her eyes shut attempting to hold back a tear. When they opened, she saw a wooden sword where hers should have been. She was wearing a child's robes again, and her voice was young as it had been in her first memory. She could feel Morgana's hands braiding her hair.

“Because,” her voice quaked, “I would turn away from the gods themselves if I knew it meant you would forgive me.” The words were heresy, but Morgana would know that they were true.

All the visions dissolved, and the angel was back in the chamber. She was an adult again, in her full golden armor, and sword laid at her feet. “How does it feel, exposing your mind?” a resonating voice asked.

Kayle regained her composure and tugged at her golden hair, only recently sheared to fit inside her helmet. She looked at her sword. “Personal matters have never inhibited me in the past. They will not start now.” The angel retrieved her weapon from the floor and tucked her helmet beneath an arm. She flew through the doors where she entered, hearing a voice send her off.

“Welcome to the League, Kayle.”

Ramdonperson

10-27-2010

Amazing, thanks!

multis

10-27-2010

Would read aga- I did.

Petrichor1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2010

Amazingly written. +1
would have +10 but its not possible :/

Shashakiro

10-27-2010

Is this official?

If not, Riot, hire this man. Now.

Yuchiel

10-27-2010

Wow impressive! I must say that's a whole new insight on the cold Judicator we thought we knew!

LeonHetheWriter

10-28-2010

Thanks for all the positive comments! I'm glad people like this one.

I went through about ten versions of the answer to "Why do you want to join the League" before I settled on this one. I think I made the right choice.

Daweis1

10-28-2010

Hey man this is really good

Dracorya

10-28-2010

This is really good, you planning to write more?

Vuther

10-28-2010

This would be a very good way to deepen Kayle. This Judgement should totally be canon.