Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

MMORPGs are dead

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unban Auspexa

02-15-2013

I played like 40 MMORPG so far. They all were ****. EVE Online is the only decent mmorpg atm. Waiting for WoD.

0xiDIzE

02-15-2013

How is GW2 complete ****? It's the only MMO with decent storylines for individual characters, and combat is more skill-based than any other MMO. It's one of the few games in the genre that's ever been worth playing.

Arizel

02-15-2013

There is still hope for the MMORPG Genre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvK8fua6O64

This bro within this link is funny and quite intelligent about the subject.

Riot Frosthaven

02-15-2013

You know, this actually made me remember something. Back when I was only playing WoW for my worldwide friends, I remember all of the rumors on Blizzard's project titan. Did they ever figure out if it was an fps mmo or what?

Larias

Adjudicator

02-15-2013

Quote:
Larias:
Would you play this MMORPG? If so, hit me up. BCRLarias(at)gmail(dot)com - that's my skype, primary email, and gtalk.

I would? ;0

Coast2Coast

02-15-2013

When wow started making its insane amount of money they started designing based on profit and threw everything else out the window. Tbc was the only step forward, and to be honest it started going downhill near the end. Everything afterward was just making the game more and more mindless and repetitive.

Normalish Oddish

02-15-2013

because grinding is boring, when fighting games, shooters, mobas exist... much more fun to be upbeat and actually doing something all of the time.

Unfie the Donut

02-15-2013

Quote:
Larias:
A bunch of cool stuff

I love actual roleplaying games. The fact of the matter is, though, most people don't bother roleplaying when an MMORPG has such a vast playerbase. It comes to the point where grinding is important, questing is important, and roleplaying becomes a waste of time.

I will say this though. Right now I play on a specific roleplay server on Neverwinter Nights, an old game based off the D&D 3.5 ruleset. It has, on average, 30 players online at any given time. But it's absolutely spectacular how fun the roleplaying can be. It's been going strong for ten years now, and there are currently at least five active DMs, but I can guess it's probably more than that.

tl;dr

Roleplaying works in small communities. It fails in large ones. But since this idea you have pushes the concept of smaller world communities, I can vouch from personal experience in these kinds of games that it DOES work.

Larias

Adjudicator

02-15-2013

Quote:
Unfie the Donut:
I love actual roleplaying games. The fact of the matter is, though, most people don't bother roleplaying when an MMORPG has such a vast playerbase. It comes to the point where grinding is important, questing is important, and roleplaying becomes a waste of time.

I will say this though. Right now I play on a specific roleplay server on Neverwinter Nights, an old game based off the D&D 3.5 ruleset. It has, on average, 30 players online at any given time. But it's absolutely spectacular how fun the roleplaying can be. It's been going strong for ten years now, and there are currently at least five active DMs, but I can guess it's probably more than that.

tl;dr

Roleplaying works in small communities. It fails in large ones. But since this idea you have pushes the concept of smaller world communities, I can vouch from personal experience in these kinds of games that it DOES work.

This game is meant as a replacement for the shackled system that is NWN. Removing the awful camera angle, the aged UI, the confusing control system and, you know, 3rd edition rules in an online video game - and moving it closer to a WoW style while still maintaining the spirit of NWN is the idea.

I'm afraid the 2d sprites will scare people away, though.

Silver Flask

02-15-2013

Back in the day, I did Runescape, LOTRO, and all dat stuff. But honestly, it just gets boring after a while; all the grinding for levels, endless "go here, get that" quests...I dunno, I just wanted some action one day. But then a good friend showed me League, so I won't be bored for a long time...xD