Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Replays Alpha Test on PBE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesbro123

02-14-2013

Will the locally saved files be video files so it would be possible to upload them to Youtube or can they only be accessed through the client?

SoloDragoon

02-14-2013

Add the function to watch a replay while in que?

Discpled

02-14-2013

Quote:
Status Kwoh:
No, you didn’t read the title wrong – an official replays feature indeed exists, and we’re about to open it up to some player testing on the PBE.

We’ve been working hard on this much-requested feature for a while now, but there’s still work to be done before it hits live. Rolling out replays to millions of players is no small feat, and there are some pretty big infrastructure and service challenges that we still need to tackle before they’re ready for a live release.

We’re planning on testing this feature for a few months, but here’s a look at the replay features heading to PBE:
  • Replays from your match history: After you complete a game, a replay will be stored on the servers for a limited time. During this window you can view the replay of a recent game through your match history.
  • Browse your replays: You can review any replay you’ve previously watched through the replay browser in your summoner profile.
  • Watching a replay: When you load into a replay, you’ll have the same interface and control scheme you’re used to from spectator mode. The key difference is that the far right of the timeline is now the end of the recorded match rather than the latest point in a live game.
  • Share replays with friends: You can give a replay file to a friend by right clicking on the entry in your replay browser and clicking "Show In Folder." This will pop up the folder containing your replay. Send the file to a friend, and he can view it by dragging the file onto his open PvP.net client.

So why the long testing period? Well, on top of the service challenges, there are some fun complications involved with backwards compatibility. As such, we’d love replays to get the same thorough, extensive testing as Spectator Mode. As you recall, we held numerous beta periods over the course of that launch, and these periods of testing really helped us fine tune that feature.

If you’re a current PBE member, we need your help improving and polishing replays! We hope you’ll take the time to leave us your comments, suggest new functionality and report any problems you run into. Here are a few annotated screenshots to help you get the lay of the land:

You can watch the replay of a recently-played game directly from the match history. Just search for the summoner whose replay you’d like to view, select the game and click the “Watch Replay” button. Once you watch a replay it gets saved into your browser.

In the PBE client, you’ll see that you have a new button in the upper right corner under your RP and IP totals. This button takes you to the replay browser, where you can view any of the replays you’ve previously watched.

You can rename one of the replays in your browser for later reference by double clicking the name.

If you’d like to send a replay to a friend, you can find the file itself by right clicking on the replay and selecting "Show In Folder." Remember that to view your replay, your friend will have to drag the file onto his open PvP.net client.

I would highly suggest studying battleforges replay system. It has always been simple and brilliant. It stores a small file onto my harddrive which I can email or upload on forums or whatever for others to watch and see. It's very simple and the files are quite small.

Snackbar

Recruiter

02-14-2013

- Watching a replay doesn't make you unavailable (on friends list/Public Chat) similar to being in-game or spectating.
- Holding alt/ pressing G and click-holding causes the cursor to disappear but can still be moved to highlight things (like champion skills etc..) This also occurs while spectating.

Status Kwoh

Producer

02-14-2013

Quote:
Reaper:
rofl no way

Totally my idea.

Huedits

02-14-2013

Well, here's my requests: Comments on timeline and team chats enabled.
Please Riot =)

Steven Segal

02-14-2013

there is no replay function for co-op or ai games, this should be specified as alot of ppl only play ai or co op games.

Basil van Yhun

02-14-2013

When jumping through a replay by clicking on the progress bar it is occasionally possible to see skill effects even when the skill was used several seconds before.

I'd attach the replay but it the file type isn't accepted. :/

We Are As One

02-14-2013

Quote:
Huedits:
Well, here's my requests: Comments on timeline and team chats enabled.
Please Riot =)

Personally if they enable team chat then I really think there should be some privacy, so that you can only see your team's team chat and only members of your team can access the file. Obviously you could still opt to share it with others. -- even if they don't enable such, I still really hate the idea of this whole system being public

So am I the only person who cares at all about some level of mystery / privacy? Maybe, oh well -- I'll just go back to playing by myself -- takes Syndra's balls.

Akitu

02-14-2013

Quote:
rjcombo:
Replays file are in a proprietary format with a .ROFL file extension. (Replay OF LoL)

What a funny extension tag...

On a somewhat related note. Will our ROFLs be lost if we have to reinstall the LoL client? Or will the addition of the replay feature call for a change to the installation script and allow for an option to keep all cached data such as a replay file when uninstalling?