Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Replays Alpha Test on PBE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Status Kwoh

Producer

02-14-2013

No, you didn’t read the title wrong – an official replays feature indeed exists, and we’re about to open it up to some player testing on the PBE.

We’ve been working hard on this much-requested feature for a while now, but there’s still work to be done before it hits live. Rolling out replays to millions of players is no small feat, and there are some pretty big infrastructure and service challenges that we still need to tackle before they’re ready for a live release.

We’re planning on testing this feature for a few months, but here’s a look at the replay features heading to PBE:

• Replays from your match history: After you complete a game, a replay will be stored on the servers for a limited time. During this window you can view the replay of a recent game through your match history.
  • Browse your replays: You can review any replay you’ve previously watched through the replay browser in your summoner profile.
  • Watching a replay: When you load into a replay, you’ll have the same interface and control scheme you’re used to from spectator mode. The key difference is that the far right of the timeline is now the end of the recorded match rather than the latest point in a live game.
  • Share replays with friends: You can give a replay file to a friend by right clicking on the entry in your replay browser and clicking "Show In Folder." This will pop up the folder containing your replay. Send the file to a friend, and he can view it by dragging the file onto his open PvP.net client.

So why the long testing period? Well, on top of the service challenges, there are some fun complications involved with backwards compatibility. As such, we’d love replays to get the same thorough, extensive testing as Spectator Mode. As you recall, we held numerous beta periods over the course of that launch, and these periods of testing really helped us fine tune that feature.

If you’re a current PBE member, we need your help improving and polishing replays! We hope you’ll take the time to leave us your comments, suggest new functionality and report any problems you run into. Here are a few annotated screenshots to help you get the lay of the land:

You can watch the replay of a recently-played game directly from the match history. Just search for the summoner whose replay you’d like to view, select the game and click the “Watch Replay” button. Once you watch a replay it gets saved into your browser.

In the PBE client, you’ll see that you have a new button in the upper right corner under your RP and IP totals. This button takes you to the replay browser, where you can view any of the replays you’ve previously watched.

You can rename one of the replays in your browser for later reference by double clicking the name.

If you’d like to send a replay to a friend, you can find the file itself by right clicking on the replay and selecting "Show In Folder." Remember that to view your replay, your friend will have to drag the file onto his open PvP.net client.

ploki122

02-14-2013

**** YEAH! plz bear my child rjCombo (the last guy I heard worked on this)...

EDIT : Just to be sure, I guess there is no already known bugs with it and anything found must be reported?

Oot

Recruiter

02-14-2013

Gasp!

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

02-14-2013

Outstanding - I'm reserving this slot, for feedback.

EDIT 1:
FEEDBACK LIST:

1) My camera was stuck for the first minute or so, haven't tried to repro yet, could've easily been user error

2) Ping icon is there, but doesn't do anything

3) Chat is disabled, probably intended

4) Sometimes when you use the replay last 15 seconds, graphical effects from previous effects (prior to those 15 seconds) spring up all over, causing momentary lag

5) Uhhh.. I just had my replay up, joined a game, tried to start the game, and the replay is still up but it says my game is in progress now. After leaving the replay, it asked me to reconnect to my game like normal, but it was a little odd haha. Wait, now it seems I can't connect or something, and my game vanishes sometimes with no opportunity to reconnect. EDIT: Got in, had to restart client!

6) When I watch a replay, it requires me to restart the client before it appears in my Replay Browser.

EDIT 2: There is a thread to consolidate our Replay Feedback/Bug lists.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3125970

FINAL EDIT:
Please do not forget that there is a thread to post bugs stickied to the front page, as well!

Wagons

Huntsman

02-14-2013

Soon™ is actually soon.

CharIatan

Recruiter

02-14-2013

I can finally prove my penta kills... I LOVE YOU RIOT.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

02-14-2013

Quote:
ploki122:
**** YEAH! plz bear my child rjCombo (the last guy I heard worked on this)...

There's an entire team of people who've been working on this for some time.

ploki122

02-14-2013

Quote:
rjcombo:

yeah, but none discussed about it lengthily, unlike you.

Zerglinator

02-14-2013

Is this the real life?

Status Kwoh

Producer

02-14-2013

Quote:
rjcombo:

Though we all play galio....