Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sabrestrike

02-14-2013

Something about her concept art is just odd. The coloring on Valor and her armor (the obtuse pointiness of it along with coloring) just screams royal fighter. I just don't get a vibe of ranger. This isn't challenging archetype design it's missing the mark on the archetype.

I have basically no say in the "sexualization" conversation. I just want to see the archtype pulled off successfully, male or female.

Whyumai

02-14-2013

1. Swap the crossbow for a sword and it's a Leona Skin

2. It's a fantasy ranger in heavy armor.

3. It's a falconer who doesn't look tough.

It's a departure from the generic archtype for this style of champion. Normally a ranger tends to be lightly armored to allow for more freedom of movement and because they tend towards being scouts who roam. Normally falconers tend towards being depicted as battle hardened warriors (often scarred). Quinn doesn't look like she's ever been in a fight. She looks like a prissy little girl playing at being a warrior.

This is a change for Riot. Normally they seem to comply with archtype(s) fairly diligently. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a change though.

What is confusing is .... why does Quinn's armor seems to have an Iron Solari motif?

PrO of Summon

02-14-2013

I just expect she isnt a fail adc like varus and draven or too op like diana or rengar.........

ArmySquirrel

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
That is like exactly what Leona is to me. She is a pretty lady who kicks asses and takes names (and calls down mighty sun flares).
THIS. SO MUCH THIS. I don't know what the guy before you was thinking. Leona is a classy woman and a badass all at the same time.

Heck even Diana is rather feminine, though perhaps to a lesser degree. Regardless you can't look at Diana and say that's a guy.

Quinn is perfectly fine the way she is. There's nothing wrong with a tomboy.

No Mid No Life

02-14-2013

C'mon Riot.. we already had a manly woman in Diana.. now Quinn?

GG, trannies are fed!

Tamachii

02-14-2013

She kinda resembles Kayle new skin with a different head.

Sethusk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

I don't know why people are freaking out, I think she looks awesome so far. Plus, no one has even seen her in game yet, sheesh.

sylverfyre

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Some quick context: [LOTS OF TEXT]
My only complaint is the armor she does wear makes her look a little too Jarvan/Leona-esque. I would think you could accomplish this design goal (which I totally agree with, btw) without doing the sharp pointy bits on her armor (wouldn't that get in the way?) or shinyness. Instead, maybe move a little more towards earthy tones / leather armor (I LOVE the breastplate) maybe with some spikes to preserve what you are calling "the demacian notes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Colors are off because it's technically on an overlay layer in the Photoshop file. It blew out the color but allowed it to show some of the paper grain and saturation. Her colors are more muted on the model.
Maybe the bright armor will bug me less, then. It definitely bugs me right now. It doesn't feel like it fits the ranger theme at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
I imagine her garb before she was promoted to the more elite ranks was different. Likewise, when she is out on a mission that merits it, she'd probably change. If you look at the rest of the Demacian champions, there's a distinct lack of subtlety about what they do any how they do it. Anyone expected to stand next to Garen and j4 in a lineup has some reason to be cohesive.

Is it at much of a stretch that she would wear what represents her new role best to the fields of justice when representing Demacia? I don't think so. Ultimately, it's good for an artist to have some justification for the decisions they make. They don't always have to make perfect sense, but if it lends some 'truth' to that champion, then it's a good thing. At the end of the day champions present themselves in certain combat situations with who knows what magic backing them up- much of the how and why they do so is left vague.

That's not me looking for a cop out, but instead my personal take on things. I like a bit of flair and unusualness to characters- if that means I get crossbows with bird heads on them and it looks cool, I'm on board.
Now you're putting a hope in my heart that there will be a much more nature-y skin with very little in the way of Demacian frills.

ChromeFalcon

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrO of Summon View Post
I just expect she isnt a fail adc like varus and draven or too op like diana or rengar.........
Varus and Draven fail ADC's? You're an idiot.

Whyumai

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by draydurmil View Post
would u rather have a male adr named oliver ?
You just wait for the famous Zuan archer: The Green Marrow. He shoots his own bones at his enemies and is constantly shirtless!