Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeyLPG

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Standard facial structure I abide by in most of my concepts. It's the style I drift towards. I'm making first and foremost an in-game asset and not concerned about excessive differentiation in something that will end up being reduced to a small cluster of pixels.

Avian themed helmets, one looking like the iron eagles on the side of the Chrysler building, the other torn off of the front of a hayabusa.
Oh okay! Just wanted some insight on this since its did raise a few flags with me...But I'm a big fan of your work AND Quinn! I'm excited thank you for responding!

Hellioning

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The Champion ideation team had an idea up on the wall which was just titled "Falconer". I decided to have a go at it because.. ya know.. birds.. and did some thumbnails of a rugged, Aragorn looking guy (who incidentally was melee at the time, not ranged). More of traditional fantasy vibe, more leather and cloth, though I actually did have a perch-gauntlet and a falcon pauldron on the concept. We weren't really feeling it. I then switched it around and played with the idea of Falconer as a girl. Everyone latched onto that immediately. It was a traditional male role that felt right to put a contrasting theme into. The idea of avian symbiosis also felt better when Falconer was switched to a woman. It felt more communal rather than commanding, like a bond between the two rather than a hunter/pet relationship.
The concept of a female falconer is a contrast? Because I've seen a bunch of those in fantasy...

Regardless, the idea of 'communal, not commanding' is interesting, because I don't see that with a male falconer, either; see Mordecai from Borderlands.

AntiSkillshot

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
An interesting note: In early concept and lab tests on the champion, a decent number of people thought she was male!
I don't remember if anyone knew or remembers this but, when Riven's Sneak Peek was released, there was a good number of players that thought she, too, was male.
But that was mainly because they didn't read the Sneak Peek well enough.

I also remember that our lovely Kayle is sometimes called "The Samus of the League", mainly because, new players would think she's a he (well, with her older artwork, at least).

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-14-2013
13 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubee View Post
The problem is that Riot announced it inside the thread of ONE person who complained about it. Making it seem like they agreed with that person all of a sudden, even after that particular skin was already in it's final stages.

Please don't get me wrong, cause I don't want to come off as a hater. This game is amazing. Your interaction with your community is AMAZING. You listen to your players and I am really happy about that. I just really, REALLY dislike this (armored women = strong, independent) argument that you seem to be perpetrating.
Recall didn't feel right in accordance of Kat's theme or the skin's theme. It felt tacked on and meaningless.

Armored women do = strong, independent. That's just one solution in a host of solutions to making strong independent women. Miss Fortune is a strong independent woman, too.

YamiBelgarath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

I dunno, it looks like a cross between Iron Solari Leona and Swain to me, with mostly Iron Solari Leona- which is a huge shock I'm sure, since the Great Parrot designed the art for both.

Xion Moonray

02-14-2013

My first thought was "Why does Talon have boobs?"

Jujubee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorstTristNA View Post
well atleast the feminist got what they wanted. Ryze still wanting a friend though. If you know what I'm sayin.
Still waiting for Lilith (Ryze's mentor)

FLZH

02-14-2013

ok,much love for the syndra/diana/zyra artist.

Vacus

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyLPG View Post
Any comment on this similarity?
I still think she looks more like a female version of J4.

Kanikkers

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubee View Post
Exactly. The recall animation already went as far as PBE, and they incidentally remove it and replace it with whatever the **** that new one was, the same time all that hoopla about oversexualization started.
It's not a COINCIDENCE, it's called catering to your target audience.

All this sexism, feminism hooplah boils down to Riot trying to cater to its fans. Riot is an organization that seems to attempt to keep VERY in-touch with its fanbase, even if it's a bit slow to the draw sometimes. Devs participate in the forums, things are changed based on general consensus and comments...

People complained that things were being oversexualized. Somebody (or several somebodies) took issue with Kat's recall animation having NOTHING to do with her theme. It was changed. Damn, the forums ask for something, we're given it, and people hate anyways and call it a conspiracy.

That's not a ****ing coincidence. It's a response.