Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vanra

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEpistle View Post
Can we please.. stop bashing on everything for the love of god this is getting stupid.

A) She appeals to a different type. Just because you don't like her, suck it up. Zyra, Ahri, and Fiora didn't appeal to me. I don't care for the pornstar body, many of last years characters had this body type, with the exception of Vi, and diana, both of which had skins that flaunted these body types with small differences, so even though they were closer to what I found attractive, the people who got that body type, got it literally every female character, besides Lulu.

B) Just because she isn't masculine, or feminine enough to you doesn't mean she's flawed. I find myself looking forward to IronStylus's characters since they usually are the closest to what I enjoy about a character.

C) This is a style. It might not have a completely different figure, but the way it portrays and carries itself, the facial expression, hair style, and figure itself, all point to another preference that might not fit "your" preferences. Beating down on Ironstylus because his character isn't your ideal character isn't appropriate since it is for other people. Quinn is very much the type of character I would like to see, Vi was close, Quinn, based on this art, is exactly what I wanted.

D) Stop crying about how practical her outfit it. Does anyone realize how stupid this arguement is? Riven runs around in cloth armor with a giant broken sword. Lee sin has no shirt or armor at all. You have a runt on a plane hovering 2 feet off the ground using standard airplane engines. And you are going to start nit picking about the type of helm she is wearing... now? Honestly?

E) She will probably have a skin that makes her look more feminine like Diana and Vi, so quit whining, honestly.
Actually I kind of like her design, even if "evil-hunting chick with a crossbow" has been done before.

My problem is people saying she looks androgynous because she don't have any skin showing. She's not. Neither is Diana. Diana had form-fitting armor that accentuated her curves. Quinn's armor might be bulkier, but you can see she's got the classic hour-glass figure every other (adult human) female champ in this game has.

Angrogynous is what Kayle was before they stuck boob sockets on her armor. Quinn is not less feminine or androgynous. She's just got a bit more clothing on than most female champs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mistful

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labcown View Post
Thank you. This is what I wanted to see for the longest time. A female champion who doesn't necessarily broadcast her gender to everyone within sight without doubt.
Kayle. Most beginners assume she's male.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1ebe60507d910496d5f37

Senior Member

02-13-2013

I like her character design, but I know for a fact that her kit is going to be boring as ****. How do I know this? She is a LoL champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SplendidSorrow

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly5 View Post
Garen and J4 do indeed have needless character overlap. I think this is bad. Not saying it should be changed and I'll start a riot or something, but it's something that should be avoided. Because the two characters are old as far as this game goes...they kind-of develop their own distinctness from each other.
Darius I think you can agree that even on visual queues he is different than the other two.

MF and Ahri are both seductress tropes...but they do not only look extremely different, but also their "character" is extremely different. For instance...even their laughs, MF's laugh is a little "manical/crazy" whereas Ahri is more "quiet/smooth." They are different characters, and the overlap is not as harsh.

From what I read of the previews, Quinn's character isnt exactly popping out of them, and I have little to say about them.
From what I read about Ironstylus defending Quinn's design...it sounds like Leona. I am actually confused if he is describing Leona or not sometimes.
I mean come on...Justice heroine...with get-the-job-done full armor, keeping the peace and protecting the innocent. Sure its not "plate armor" but I mean come on...

I'm seriously not sure how you get classic paladin sounding the same as justice by any means. How do the notes about Jarvan and Garen make any sort of sense if you had leona saying it? The only thing thats vaguely similar is somewhat the style of the amour (same artist so to be expected) and that justice can kinda play in there....beyond that...how they go about things? Completely different.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shunzyou

Junior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Really love your straw man there, if they don't like masculine women they must be lonely teenagers right?
Very mature of you.
Stop pulling my sentences out of context. I was clearly referring to the people hating on Quinn because she's not feminine enough.

Sure, I exaggerated a bit. But that's what it comes down to.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SinTheory

Junior Member

02-13-2013

I don't know why so many people are complaining. I mean first off, these people work hard in order to bring us awesome looking champions. And also, making champions is like an art. You want each piece you make to have its own identity, even if it strays from the norm. Thats what makes it interesting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ottershark

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Don't use her if you don't like her.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shunzyou

Junior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly5 View Post
This is a game. It is not real life.
The characters that become champions in this game are specifically created by a design team.
This design team is invested in creating a product that is sharp, memorable, and unique.

Sure maybe people from Demacia should "have a uniform."
But...in the context of creating this game...there should be a voice saying "but we don't want to bore people with the same designs over and over again."
This is why Fiora, Galio, Xin Zhao, Poppy, and Sona...all the best Demacia has to offer...don't look the same...like at all.
I don't feel like this Quinn design is not unique. There are similarities, and that's it. Which is fine. Which I like. It makes the champions feel connected in a way. What's wrong with that?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prkl8r

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly5 View Post
Each champion in League of Legends should convey a full character trope. Darius for instance, great character design (gameplay design is debated), he's clearly your bad-ass no-nonsense-dunkmaster type of guy. He fully conveys this, and there is VERY little overlap between his trope and that of another champion. Lulu is your cute/small mischievous witch-type-with-fairy. When you think of an archetype, you should have no confusion directly linking a character to it.
This is exactly the kind of attitude that they are trying to avoid and I for one want them to avoid. Tropes are boring and overdone and unimaginative.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

turkeyBACON

Senior Member

02-13-2013

I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't read all of the thread, but come back and edit this post if need be after i do so.

Okay my problem with Quinn's design is not that she's not feminine enough nor that what she's wearing isn't practical. It's that it doesn't quite fit her role/lore. she's wearing what I would expect Jarven or Garen to wear to war. They wear functional but extremely flashy armour. Which is understandable for them since they are high ranking officers at the front lines of a battle. But Quinn is suppose to be a ranger and hunter that should be attacking from cover and with the element of suprise most likely. Yes give her baggy pants and functional falconers glove/gauntlet, but you probably need to tone down all the moving parts and excessive decoration. I would expect all of that to get caught and be in the way when fighting or tracking.

But really I don't have any problem with all of the above when compared to how garish her weapon is. I mean really? The weapon has all the issues that her armour has but turned up to eleven. Well maybe not eleven, but its visuals are still really discordant with the function it's suppose to have. Admittedly I don't know her abilities but barring that her gun has the actual ability to fly, it shouldn't have wings sticking out its sides. Her weapon should be super practical. I was expecting something much more tamed than the love child of Graves' revolver/shot gun and hextech Anivia. It's just too muddled of a design. The only thing I like about it is the idea of it being a magazine loaded weapon. Everything else just irks me as being wrong.