@@@@@@@ League of Legends - The Movie @@@@@@@

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

johnnybegoode77

02-12-2013

I am going to shoot a League of Legends trailer and use it to pitch to movie studios in Hollywood. I am going to turn LOL into a feature film.

This is not an animation. I would be using real actors. There will be FX, CGI etc.

Please email premieringsoon@gmail.com and let me know who are the champions you would like to see in this trailer and why.

This is my Kickstarter preview link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...token=7e27416d

It is not live yet because I would like to see if is any interest in the League of Legends Movie before I start raising fund.

Let me know what you guys think?

--
Kind Regards,
Jon Chua
https://vimeo.com/53708171
https://twitter.com/premieringsoon
http://www.youtube.com/user/premieringsoon
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Premie...41795445929229

Cerubois

02-12-2013

... Do you have the rights to do such a thing?

I mean, it's a damn cool idea, but when it comes to fan-made stuff, I think Riot might draw the line somewhere before Hollywood. >.>

johnnybegoode77

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
... Do you have the rights to do such a thing?

I mean, it's a damn cool idea, but when it comes to fan-made stuff, I think Riot might draw the line somewhere before Hollywood. >.>
I emailed them but the reply is very generic.

Quote:
Summoner,

Thanks for contacting us about your creation. We’re stoked that you’re as passionate about League of Legends as we are.

We love hearing about your community contributions, but, sadly, aren’t able to respond to every message individually. A lot of you have similar concerns, so we’ve created a brief FAQ to help you get fast answers to your most burning questions. If you don’t find the answer you need here, we’ll do our best to respond quickly.

Q: Can I make money off of League of Legends videos I upload to my YouTube channel?

A: The short answer’s “Yes”. You can generate ad revenue without the Riot police banging down your door.

For a detailed description of what you can and can’t do with our copyrighted material, check out the legal jibber jabber: http://www.riotgames.com/company/legal-jibber-jabber.

Q: Can I use your art /logo/champion skins on my website?

A: As long as you aren’t charging people for access to your website, you may use any copyrighted assets we freely distribute in the game client. This includes all champion skin splash images.

The exception: you can’t use the Riot Games logo or other trademarks under any circumstances.

Q: I’ve created XYZ, can you feature it on Facebook/Twitter?

A: Riot frequently features extraordinary, high-quality community creations. Sending it here, posting on the forums, or sharing on social media will all raise visibility, improving your chances of being noticed and getting featured. There’s a wealth of exceptional community-created content on the forums, fansites, YouTube and elsewhere, so we can’t feature everything. There’s no magic bullet solution to get your stuff featured. Create and promote awesome content, and it’ll probably be seen by a Rioter!

Q: I (or my website) am running an event/contest/tournament/etc. Can Riot support me with Swag/RP/IP/Skins to give away?

A: We’re always looking for opportunities to surprise players and support your events, but with such a large, active community, we can only participate in some of them. This is the right place to send your info, so if your event’s awesome and the timing’s right, we’ll be in touch!

If you’re running a more formal tournament, this FAQ may also be helpful: http://competitive.na.leagueoflegend...ized-event-faq

Thanks again for all your hard work. We know it takes a community to create a great game and your contributions impact the player experience every day.

See you on the Fields!

-Riot Games

fansites@riotgames.com
If there are enough support in the LOL community, it will happen.
So far, I do not see many interests.

Dregen

02-12-2013

Since it's a fan made video, it sounds feasible. I'd love to see it happen!

The only iffy part is the kickstarter. You're basically requiring users to fund $50k just to produce a trailer. While I'm impressed by the $0 budget sample you posted up, it doesn't prove you can actually make a high quality hollywood-style trailer, so I'm doubtful whether people will actually spend $$ for this.

As for the trailer, imo it's cheesy, which I guess is expected for something w/ no budget, but it's still pretty cool, and I can tell you're pretty serious about this. There were cut-edits literally every 3 seconds though - how many takes did you have to do? o,o

Honestly I'd put up like, $1-5 to help out, just to see it happen, but that's about it since I'm just a poor college student w/ a mediocre job.

johnnybegoode77

02-12-2013

Thanks! I was still thinking...
I was also posting on General Discussion and Off Topic. People there are nasty and discouraging...
I wished everybody would just tell me the champions they want to see in the trailer.

Dregen

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybegoode77 View Post
Thanks! I was still thinking...
I was also posting on General Discussion and Off Topic. People there are nasty and discouraging...
I wished everybody would just tell me the champions they want to see in the trailer.

I think where you went wrong is claiming that the trailer will be pitched to hollywood for a serious proposal, then loading up a sample work that, while pretty impressive for a $0 budget trailer, isn't even close to "Hollywood" standards. Almost everyone will laugh at that idea, because it's ridiculous. If it was a fan-made nonprofit movie that would be distributed on youtube, then people would be more receptive.

It really gives people the impression that you're a bit delusional, but the truth of it is, making good movies is extremely hard and only you can decide for yourself whether you're willing to put in the dedication and craft to become truly good at what you want to do (I'm talking about years to decades).

The sample trailer you posted is good if you're talking about free, "hobby'ish" stuff, but if you charged for it, then people will suddenly think it's horrible. It's basically analogous to charging for fanfics, or asking for a fanfic to be published in bookstores.

johnnybegoode77

02-13-2013

To do something like LOL, it is no longer hobb-ish fan based. To do it right I will need FX makeup, costume designers, CGI etc. I know what it takes to make a good movie. Story, budget equipment and people.

Frost Archer

02-15-2013

Ok. Cool. Are you like one of the other "lets start a LoL movie" dudes? I'm gunna have to ask what you've got. Degrees, diplomas, the like. Because your role in the directing of that trailer would not be comparable to anything made by Hollywood. And you can't expect to say that without a budget thing as an excuse. If you were serious, you would have at least spent some money, from 100 to 1000 to give us a preview. Look, that trailer, kudo's to you. But that's not a trailer. A trailer is supposed to spark some one's attention. I got bored after the two guys walked out of the car.

The lighting in that? It'll pass in my book. The fact that you were not using a tripod at least? Not so much. Also, you made the cuts between the scenes too long in between, and at shoddy places. Not how a trailer looks. I've seen people make better trailers with toys, rather than actual "actors".

I'm gonna say that you don't know a thing about making movies, because what you request is not nearly enough. Don't bore me with details about hiring other people, what are you gunna pay 'em?

You've gotta consider, people with the capability to pay you, will be much smarter than the average 10 year old that gets impressed by everything. And those ten year olds don't have the money to pay.

Uncle Fawb

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostArcher024 View Post
Ok. Cool. Are you like one of the other "lets start a LoL movie" dudes? I'm gunna have to ask what you've got. Degrees, diplomas, the like. Because your role in the directing of that trailer would not be comparable to anything made by Hollywood. And you can't expect to say that without a budget thing as an excuse. If you were serious, you would have at least spent some money, from 100 to 1000 to give us a preview. Look, that trailer, kudo's to you. But that's not a trailer. A trailer is supposed to spark some one's attention. I got bored after the two guys walked out of the car.

The lighting in that? It'll pass in my book. The fact that you were not using a tripod at least? Not so much. Also, you made the cuts between the scenes too long in between, and at shoddy places. Not how a trailer looks. I've seen people make better trailers with toys, rather than actual "actors".

I'm gonna say that you don't know a thing about making movies, because what you request is not nearly enough. Don't bore me with details about hiring other people, what are you gunna pay 'em?

You've gotta consider, people with the capability to pay you, will be much smarter than the average 10 year old that gets impressed by everything. And those ten year olds don't have the money to pay.
I agree with everything stated above.
I also believe that $50,000 for a trailer is insane. There have been feature length films that have been made with far less of a budge. Paranormal Activity had a $15,000 budget. I do not know how much experience you have had in the film industry but I honestly do not feel like you have had any. You probably could find film students who want to make something for their portfolios and recruit them to make a trailer which would cost little to nothing.

Yasako

05-06-2013

oh god that cutting/cinematography in that trailer thing is absolutely abysmal please do not sign up as a director you can be whatever you want but not a director okay