Idea: Champion Loyalty

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2 Swainz

02-12-2013

This is an idea I pieced together from some old threads I remember reading and from some other games.

Basically, you could become "loyal" to a champion after meeting a set of requirements that champion, i.e. a certain number of wins, win rate, games played, etc.

Upon meeting these criteria, you gain a gold/plat/diamond tier (depending on the level of loyalty obtained) border around your champion icon in champ select. As with the portrait borders, they would only be shown to your team (to prevent the enemy team from getting scared). This is just to show people that you are experienced and knowledgeable in that champion. This would help out especially with people who main less common champs that are sometimes frowned upon. As an extra bonus, it could unlock something like a summoner icon. I believe Riot mentioned the possibility of letting us use summoner icons as avatars on the forums, so this would be even more rewarding.

One potential downside to this is some people would only play one champ. If you have any potential solutions to this, I'd love to hear them. I'd suggest having a minimum win rate requirement so people don't just spam tons of games. Also, playing consecutive games with that champ could grant progressively less loyalty.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylnaz View Post
good idea but this will happen

"GG, JUNGLER NO GOLD WITH NOCTURNE /REPORT"
One concern people seem to have is people will look down upon people without borders. It was originally thought this would happen to ranked borders too, but it's really not a common problem. Strict requirements will be in place to ensure that the vast majority of the playerbase does not have a border, and therefore won't look down upon players who don't have one. It would be somewhat rare to see someone with a border instead of relatively common. It wouldn't be something that just everyone has, it would have to show true dedication to a champ.

Also, normal games could count, but ranked games would be weighted much more heavily towards obtaining loyalty. Consecutive games would give less loyalty to prevent spamming games with that champion in ranked.

Feedback/criticism appreciated.

100 upvotes in 20 hours
250 upvotes in 2 days
300 upvotes in 3 days
600 upvotes in 5 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjerry1 View Post
Every time you upvote without bumping somebody plays Teemo.

Kroa

02-12-2013

I was kind of skeptical about this at first, but i read it, thought about it, and id say its a pretty good idea. I mean, EVERYONE wonders how well a player will do with said character they chose, seeing a different color around the character border when u select the champion would be really beneficial and take alot of stress off your shoulders especially solo qing.

Maybe not degrees of colors, but just a special border around the portrait showing you have experience with that champion. Something along the lines of having a certain amount of wins over losses with that champion.

Anyways, +1. would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this though.

dumponursoul

02-12-2013

Sounds cool

Oxye

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

I like my top Thresh...and Nautilus...and Blitzcrank...I like being different. I usually do well, too. It'd be cool to show that I knew what I was doing with that champ.

Tenshyo

02-12-2013

I like this idea a lot!

jaxe40

02-12-2013

I like the idea.

Hextech Kyubey

02-12-2013

+1
I would really like to hear riot's opinion on this

Xaedo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Bump! However I have two problems/concerns

1) Will the game requirements for the champion loyalty border be exclusive to ranked? What I mean is, is it only possible to receive a border through games played in ranked?

If so then that would be a problem. It would make people, as you have said, only grind with one champion. While this isn't necessarily always a bad thing, it does limit a team if many different people want to grind with their own champion. Also if a person were to join a game and pick a popular champ like Darius, someone he would like to get a loyalty border for, he would almost always be pushed out for another who already has one, making it very difficult for him to ever grind his way towards his border.

If the requirements were not restricted to any style of match, or map, it would be much easier for a person to play the champion they wanted and therefore be able to get the border they desperately want.

2) Will there be tiers?

If not, it could be just like Honorable Opponent when it came out. Lots of people have it, making it lose its meaning. If there were tiers it would make it much more apparent just how knowledgeable they are with that champion, which is really what the whole system is about.

Kaylnaz

02-12-2013

good idea but this will happen

"GG, JUNGLER NO GOLD WITH NOCTURNE /REPORT"

MigeruX

02-12-2013

agree