How to build Akali Support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRose View Post
Akali is built on AP. She's good at dealing a ton of damage with her burst and reaching enemies that other champions can't. Her twilight's shroud can slow down enemies but other than that, you honestly can't play assist while using her. I recommend getting another champion if assist is what you want.
I didn't ask for advice on why I should play her as a support. You people obviously didn't read what I said.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed2death View Post
Other AP Champs playing support do better since they have utility and their pre-6 game is good but Akali has neither of those functions.

If you're adamant on the idea however...

Poke hard with your Q and peel enemies off your ad carry. Ward a ton. Let him have all the cs and preferably all the kills. Use your W to intimidate and peel and slow. When you hit 6, burst off short, quick combos with 1-2 Shadow Dances per go and try to make them b often. Sadly, your real power doesn't hit till 6. After that, in the least, you peel hard, poke hard, and send them b often but... She won't be able to do all that much pre6.

Of course, Philosopher's Stone is a pretty good idea (Ohmwrecker's is the natural buildup) and Kage's Pick (Morellowhatever is a good idea if not twin shadows).

Follow up with more AP items (Lich Bane, etc.) and focus on the extra burst your team gains by having Akali on the team but don't give up on warding since you took the support role. Your team can gain some important and powerful plays given your bot lane doesn't do too badly. Since Akali is such a powerful assassin, she can help quite a bit post-6 but the lack of sustain for your carry will hurt hard (as will the weak pre-6). If you see Leona or Blitz or Nunu though, their lane's aggression will far outdo yours! Be careful.
I see you only named a couple of items. Can you give me a whole list of the 6 items and what order to buy them?

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHighwindx View Post
Play Leona instead.
I don't own Leona. You too obviously didn't read what I said.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop111 View Post
Don't try Akali. If you do, I suggest you to become the tank. Akali will be throwing the game because she has no damage late game. The only protection she gets is her w.
I'd be forced to try it if there was a troll. I need to know what to build with her if the situation comes. How would you suggest becoming the tank? What items would you get? You have to be more specific.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP Clel View Post
Welp you're in luck. I happen to play Akali only in the jungle (have never laned with her before), there was a time when I would build support for her so I could support lanes rather than gank (since I was hella bad at ganking).

Before I get into it, I want to stress that most people don't treat you well for doing this. Jungle Akali has what seems to be a 1/3 chance of getting negative reactions from your teammates, 1/6 of getting REALLY negative reactions (like people leaving queue to dodge or trying to get everyone to report you for trolling). I tend to be on edge when running this just cause I know if we lose for any reason I'ma get 99.9% of the blame. It's not for the faint of heart but since you're just running support hopefully you'll have things easier.

And here's the build:

Aegis of Legion-
Bulks you out, and gives the team a defensive bonus. In season 3 it goes into Runic Bulwark, I dunno if it's worth it or not but you should check that out and see. With this item though, your goal is to just live and peck at enemies. As long as you're alive, your team gets the bonus.

Boots of Mobility-
This is personal preference, I want to be where-ever the drama is stirring up, boots of mobility allows me to get there. My friend often tells me it's not worth it cause in battle the boots are just tier 2 boots with no bonus, but I prefer to get to the scene as quickly as possible. I guess more orthodox options would be Mercury Threads or Ninja Tabi since they'd allow you to live longer.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter-
GREAT item. Adds a bit more bulk, gives you AP so you can hit a bit harder, and it makes it so your Q slows. This makes it so hanging around your buddies is awesome, if an alone enemy is in range of your ultimate, jump in, slow them, all your friends can catch up and do their stuff. If you don't like the price, other options in season 3 would be like Shard of True Ice or Twin Shadows. I have no experience with these though.

I don't remember the rest of the build because there was a time where I'd build these three and then went into Rabadons and Deathfire Grasp cause killing was more worth it. I can guess the last three items were Warmog's Armor, Banshee's Veil/Thornmail, and Will of the Ancients/Zeke's Herald.

With teamfights, it's best to let them start on their own. Hang in the back of the teamfight (jumping in with ult+Q+E every now and then). You can start teamfights by jumping in with your ulti, takes hits and then shroud to save yourself, but it's worth it to keep your health for later. When the teamfight is near over you should be alive to pick up the pieces if any enemies are still around. Harrass them with ult+Q to keep on them till they die, very rare should they escape once you get on em. Now two reasons to save your shroud are:
1 - If you team starts losing the teamfight and wants to retreat, put your shroud out to slow the enemy and help people retreat.
2 - If you're winning and someone (like the ADC) tries to run, rush past everyone and ult em. If the enemy tries to focus you that's bad for them, cause you're hard to kill + have a shroud. Your team should take advantage.

I do remember when I first started the support build running Locket of Solari with the Heal Summoner Spell. That can help you save people. Just for lols, I found this guide by trying to find a Support Ezreal build, so I'd have an option should my support take my farm and kills.
Good items but can you give me a list of just 6 items with the order someone could build them?

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobbes View Post
Hmm... I'd probably start tome into Kage's then rush rylai's. The slow is gonna help you act more like a support which is good. I'd probably turn Kage's into WotA for spellvamp, the aura won't be that useful, but the stats are right for akali. I would probably avoid going bulwark. Akali isn't going to be in the middle of her team during a fight, she's gonna be diving the carry behind the enemy team meaning bulwark won't be as useful. I'd probably try straight AP after getting a sightstone. Just deathcap or zhonya's or something like that. Abyssal could be useful? That's all I can think of for now. Good luck.
Thanks. That helped a lot.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayabang View Post
I wouldn't really suggest using Akali as a support, if you really want to support with Akali support your team by just simply ganking lanes, or if your teammates are trying to run away just use Twilight Shroud so your teammate's could get away, but the chances of being able to get there on time would be very little, and the cool down on Shroud is quite slow. But don't let my negative comments affect your decision, i'm just simply giving you my advice. Good luck.
I didn't ask for advice though. I asked for a build.

420 LOL 69

03-05-2013

thornmail

Cenerae

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattnewman420 View Post
I said support as in going bot lane with an ADC. You obviously didn't read the question correctly.
No, I read the question. You support your team by killing the enemy carries. That's how Akali supports. Unless you want to waddle around with aura items and generally contribute nothing, anyway.

But I'm sure you already knew this before you made the thread.

ChiefClive

03-05-2013

Play Alistar instead.