How to build Akali Support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hentai Bagel

02-14-2013

Don't try Akali. If you do, I suggest you to become the tank. Akali will be throwing the game because she has no damage late game. The only protection she gets is her w.

CLEL

02-14-2013

Welp you're in luck. I happen to play Akali only in the jungle (have never laned with her before), there was a time when I would build support for her so I could support lanes rather than gank (since I was hella bad at ganking).

Before I get into it, I want to stress that most people don't treat you well for doing this. Jungle Akali has what seems to be a 1/3 chance of getting negative reactions from your teammates, 1/6 of getting REALLY negative reactions (like people leaving queue to dodge or trying to get everyone to report you for trolling). I tend to be on edge when running this just cause I know if we lose for any reason I'ma get 99.9% of the blame. It's not for the faint of heart but since you're just running support hopefully you'll have things easier.

And here's the build:

Aegis of Legion-
Bulks you out, and gives the team a defensive bonus. In season 3 it goes into Runic Bulwark, I dunno if it's worth it or not but you should check that out and see. With this item though, your goal is to just live and peck at enemies. As long as you're alive, your team gets the bonus.

Boots of Mobility-
This is personal preference, I want to be where-ever the drama is stirring up, boots of mobility allows me to get there. My friend often tells me it's not worth it cause in battle the boots are just tier 2 boots with no bonus, but I prefer to get to the scene as quickly as possible. I guess more orthodox options would be Mercury Threads or Ninja Tabi since they'd allow you to live longer.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter-
GREAT item. Adds a bit more bulk, gives you AP so you can hit a bit harder, and it makes it so your Q slows. This makes it so hanging around your buddies is awesome, if an alone enemy is in range of your ultimate, jump in, slow them, all your friends can catch up and do their stuff. If you don't like the price, other options in season 3 would be like Shard of True Ice or Twin Shadows. I have no experience with these though.

I don't remember the rest of the build because there was a time where I'd build these three and then went into Rabadons and Deathfire Grasp cause killing was more worth it. I can guess the last three items were Warmog's Armor, Banshee's Veil/Thornmail, and Will of the Ancients/Zeke's Herald.

With teamfights, it's best to let them start on their own. Hang in the back of the teamfight (jumping in with ult+Q+E every now and then). You can start teamfights by jumping in with your ulti, takes hits and then shroud to save yourself, but it's worth it to keep your health for later. When the teamfight is near over you should be alive to pick up the pieces if any enemies are still around. Harrass them with ult+Q to keep on them till they die, very rare should they escape once you get on em. Now two reasons to save your shroud are:
1 - If you team starts losing the teamfight and wants to retreat, put your shroud out to slow the enemy and help people retreat.
2 - If you're winning and someone (like the ADC) tries to run, rush past everyone and ult em. If the enemy tries to focus you that's bad for them, cause you're hard to kill + have a shroud. Your team should take advantage.

I do remember when I first started the support build running Locket of Solari with the Heal Summoner Spell. That can help you save people. Just for lols, I found this guide by trying to find a Support Ezreal build, so I'd have an option should my support take my farm and kills.

Pobbes

02-15-2013

Hmm... I'd probably start tome into Kage's then rush rylai's. The slow is gonna help you act more like a support which is good. I'd probably turn Kage's into WotA for spellvamp, the aura won't be that useful, but the stats are right for akali. I would probably avoid going bulwark. Akali isn't going to be in the middle of her team during a fight, she's gonna be diving the carry behind the enemy team meaning bulwark won't be as useful. I'd probably try straight AP after getting a sightstone. Just deathcap or zhonya's or something like that. Abyssal could be useful? That's all I can think of for now. Good luck.

SquirtIe

02-15-2013

I wouldn't really suggest using Akali as a support, if you really want to support with Akali support your team by just simply ganking lanes, or if your teammates are trying to run away just use Twilight Shroud so your teammate's could get away, but the chances of being able to get there on time would be very little, and the cool down on Shroud is quite slow. But don't let my negative comments affect your decision, i'm just simply giving you my advice. Good luck.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
...Build a gunblade and AP damage items, while taking a solo lane. Support your team by killing the enemy carries.
I said support as in going bot lane with an ADC. You obviously didn't read the question correctly.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyUncle View Post
Get leona instead
I didn't ask why champion to get instead of Akali. You're not helping.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddal View Post
While I do support the use of odd builds, Support Akali is not one that I have had any inclination to try. None of her abilities are helpful to an AD carry except her shroud, which has a long cooldown, and doesn't offer stealth or durability to allies. The slow isn't exceptional either. If you're adamant about playing her in a duo lane, then go for a kill lane and build AP, try to get kills, and hope to snowball... but with no farm, that's not likely to happen.
You're giving me very little info on what items to build. I'm asking what items would YOU build as support Akali. I didn't ask for a synopsis of why she isn't well as a support.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
She's not a support and offers nothing to support an adc - picking her for the support role is basically admitting you don't want to run support.
You're a terribly wrong. Any champion can go support. Picking her as a support would mean you're either doing a kill lane or you were forced to go there because of a troll.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphodelNext View Post
I don't know much about Akali specifically, but generally, as an AP carry who's trying to act as a support, you want to go one of two ways. You can split the CS with your ADC, allowing you both to reach something probably subpar for both of you, and hope that having the extra damage from a second AP carry will make up for the difference. This only really works if you are already carrying hard(e.g. you have scored first blood on the opposing bot lane with no deaths, and gotten one or two more kills after that.)

Alternatively, you can attempt to play a true support role, allowing your ADC all the CS. Since AP carries normally have at least one cc ability, you can sometimes use this as a kill lane. I did it with Karthus once; it ended up that I died a lot, but with the consolation of taking out one or both of the opposing bot laners, normally the ADC. (Apparently, someone took mid lane with Karma, and I thought she was support)

As an AP carry, your abilities deal lots of damage. You should probably try for a lot of harass with your Q, possibly following with a W and ult to trigger the mark. Ward heavy(bot lane bushes and the dragon, and maybe even tri), as always, and don't let your ADC get caught out, since you have no real cc and can't protect the ADC.

Late game, you want to go back to being that dominant clean the field assassin that Akali is usually, even if you are low on CS. Don't be afraid to steal CS from top, mid, or even your ADC. Build for sheer damage output, and hope that you get lucky. Akali isn't a normal support just because she can be that good naturally as a mid lane, without the extra work.
Yet another person giving me a synopsis instead of a build of their own.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
She doesn't have the kit for it and doesn't do well with little gold. Please don't. Even support Shaco is better than this. And I've killed one (admittedly, a very bad one) 1v1 with Janna. I assume he was trying to kite me into his boxes. It didn't work.
You can get Kage's Lucky Pick which will give her gold. There are situations where you are forced to go bot because of a troll so it's not like I was wanting to go there on purpose. I really don't care about support Shaco and how well he does.