How to build Akali Support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mattnewman420

Recruiter

02-12-2013

How would you build Akali as a support? Any ideas would be nice. I do not need someone to tell me to pick another champion.

Cenerae

02-12-2013

...Build a gunblade and AP damage items, while taking a solo lane. Support your team by killing the enemy carries.

TheFriendlyUncle

02-12-2013

Get leona instead

Armageddal

02-12-2013

While I do support the use of odd builds, Support Akali is not one that I have had any inclination to try. None of her abilities are helpful to an AD carry except her shroud, which has a long cooldown, and doesn't offer stealth or durability to allies. The slow isn't exceptional either. If you're adamant about playing her in a duo lane, then go for a kill lane and build AP, try to get kills, and hope to snowball... but with no farm, that's not likely to happen.

SeCKS Egai

02-12-2013

She's not a support and offers nothing to support an adc - picking her for the support role is basically admitting you don't want to run support.

AsphodelNext

02-12-2013

I don't know much about Akali specifically, but generally, as an AP carry who's trying to act as a support, you want to go one of two ways. You can split the CS with your ADC, allowing you both to reach something probably subpar for both of you, and hope that having the extra damage from a second AP carry will make up for the difference. This only really works if you are already carrying hard(e.g. you have scored first blood on the opposing bot lane with no deaths, and gotten one or two more kills after that.)

Alternatively, you can attempt to play a true support role, allowing your ADC all the CS. Since AP carries normally have at least one cc ability, you can sometimes use this as a kill lane. I did it with Karthus once; it ended up that I died a lot, but with the consolation of taking out one or both of the opposing bot laners, normally the ADC. (Apparently, someone took mid lane with Karma, and I thought she was support)

As an AP carry, your abilities deal lots of damage. You should probably try for a lot of harass with your Q, possibly following with a W and ult to trigger the mark. Ward heavy(bot lane bushes and the dragon, and maybe even tri), as always, and don't let your ADC get caught out, since you have no real cc and can't protect the ADC.

Late game, you want to go back to being that dominant clean the field assassin that Akali is usually, even if you are low on CS. Don't be afraid to steal CS from top, mid, or even your ADC. Build for sheer damage output, and hope that you get lucky. Akali isn't a normal support just because she can be that good naturally as a mid lane, without the extra work.

Qsario

02-12-2013

She doesn't have the kit for it and doesn't do well with little gold. Please don't. Even support Shaco is better than this. And I've killed one (admittedly, a very bad one) 1v1 with Janna. I assume he was trying to kite me into his boxes. It didn't work.

HoneyRose

02-13-2013

Akali is built on AP. She's good at dealing a ton of damage with her burst and reaching enemies that other champions can't. Her twilight's shroud can slow down enemies but other than that, you honestly can't play assist while using her. I recommend getting another champion if assist is what you want.

doomed2death

02-13-2013

Other AP Champs playing support do better since they have utility and their pre-6 game is good but Akali has neither of those functions.

If you're adamant on the idea however...

Poke hard with your Q and peel enemies off your ad carry. Ward a ton. Let him have all the cs and preferably all the kills. Use your W to intimidate and peel and slow. When you hit 6, burst off short, quick combos with 1-2 Shadow Dances per go and try to make them b often. Sadly, your real power doesn't hit till 6. After that, in the least, you peel hard, poke hard, and send them b often but... She won't be able to do all that much pre6.

Of course, Philosopher's Stone is a pretty good idea (Ohmwrecker's is the natural buildup) and Kage's Pick (Morellowhatever is a good idea if not twin shadows).

Follow up with more AP items (Lich Bane, etc.) and focus on the extra burst your team gains by having Akali on the team but don't give up on warding since you took the support role. Your team can gain some important and powerful plays given your bot lane doesn't do too badly. Since Akali is such a powerful assassin, she can help quite a bit post-6 but the lack of sustain for your carry will hurt hard (as will the weak pre-6). If you see Leona or Blitz or Nunu though, their lane's aggression will far outdo yours! Be careful.

ChiefClive

02-13-2013

Play Leona instead.