Fastest way to get AP w/ items.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrToasty

10-26-2010

What is the fastest, most cost effective way to gain maximum AP? This does not include snowballing items as that cannot be consistent game to game.

I'm looking to use a standard AP rush build for just about any AP character like Heimer, Swain, Karth, etc. The goal of the build should be fast AP, not a ****ton of AP late game. Meaning I would be fine with small cost effective increments that allow me to farm faster to gain more AP. Any thoughts? I have yet to find a good build.

paij

10-26-2010

Arch Angels staff into sorc boots into zhonyas

If you did not know early game magic pen can cause more damage than more ap.......

DualLancer

10-26-2010

ap runes and play veigar?

Seinfire

10-26-2010

If you really want fast AP grab 2 or 3 blasting wands and build them up next time you head back.

Although I wouldn't recommend it as most AP users would benefit more from mpen and mana/survivability early game.

Also AP/lvl glyphs+flat AP quints.

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2010

If you're looking at trying to do more damage really early game, it might be best to invest in a Haunting Guise and Sorcerer's Shoes as your first two items for that nice amount of MPen, especially with MPen Marks, then moving on to get multiple blasting wands, or rushing something like RoA or AAS.
Oh, and my preference for early game going for most AP would be MP/5 yellow, AP blue and AP quints as that should give you enough AP to start. Oh, and you may also want to start with a Doran's Ring. They're all about those early game advantages, as they all give stats for very cheap.

Xtchizobr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2010

spells tend to have good base damage so that you don't have to have much AP early game. it allows you buy some health and boots first, and this is a good thing.

if you want to suddenly have a lot of AP as soon as possible, get a Needlessly Large Rod asap while charging a Tear of the Goddess. then complete your Archangel Staff before finishing Z-ring. after that, more AAs will give you more raw AP than any other item, but you will still likely benefit more from other items... like RoA or Rylai and eventually a Void Staff when they start noticing how much AP you've stacked and build their Bveil and FoN.

there is a certain "gotcha" though. if you're making a lot of kills, then Mejai would get you very good AP as long as you don't die, and it's extremely cheap (for that reason). Mejai is a huge gamble on a squishy "mage" though, and i couldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't a pubstomping smurf.

Medullaris

10-26-2010

Mejai's is cost effective at 5 stacks. If your team is winning that's incredibly easy to keep up, even if you have a few deaths.

Warrrax

10-27-2010

The problem is that you are asking the wrong question. The right one is: How do I become more effective overall?

Most AP items have very little AP to be honest. A Rod of Ages has 1600 gold worth of AP for 3100. Rylais has 1600 gold worth for 3200. Archangel is good for 100 AP for 3100 once you get a 2k mana pool. All are half as good as the next item:

Best source of AP is Needlessly Large Rods at 1600 gold per +80.

So buy 3 NLRs and then upgrade the last one to a Zhonya's RIng.

This gives you 350AP for 1600+1600+3600 = 6800 = 19.4 AP per gold.

However as stated, you need to be able to have Mana Regen or a big pool to be able to cast your spells. You need cooldown reduction to spam em faster. Magic Pierce lets you do a lot more damage. HPs keep you alive to actually cast those spells. Speed gets you into and out of battle quickly. You get the idea.

So, the 3 standard approaches are:

a) Sapphire Crystal -> rush to Catalyst and get HP/MP every level up.
Upgrade to Rod of Ages for HP, MP, AP.

b) Meki -> Tear. Get lots of extra mana pool. good for spammers.
Upgrade to Archangel. Get mad mad MP regen, huge mana pool, and 100ish AP.

c) Meki -> Chalice. Get tons of mana regen. Spam like crazy. Then go with a HP/AP approach such as Rylais Rod or NLR->Zhonya.

Those seem to be the standard openers to allow for mana control which is vital to any spellcaster. Then you branch out from there as needed.

DrDragun

10-27-2010

Best AP @ 10 minutes: stack amplifying tomes
Best AP @ 20 minutes: A couple kage picks then Zhonya
Best AP @ 30+ minutes: Stack AA and Zhonya

Others have already made the point that this is a stunt build and getting some penetration/CDR will help your effectiveness better.

Unr3alAnGeR

10-27-2010

Generic Caster build:

- Catalyst
- Sorc Boots
- Rod of Ages (from catalyst)
- Archangels
- Zhonyas
- Void Staff

Rylais, Lich Bane or DFG work on certain champs too. Generally you will need a balance of MPen, AP and survivability. Rod of Ages first is great because catalyst is an amazing laning item, it works best if built early, and offers significant survivability in addition to a handy AP boost. Archangels gives great regen and AP as your mana pool grows. Zhonya's is generally the best AP item. Very handy active, great passive, huge flat AP boost.

Void staff gives MPen and AP and is a fair bit cheaper than some of the other AP items. Rylais is good on certain champs who want the slow. Better choice than RoA on manaless champions. Lich Bane is amazing for hybridy champions like Sion and Nidalee. A DFG synergises well with certain champions too (Poppy, Veigar).