Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

THE way to prevent ALL DODGES.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doghealer

02-11-2013

TL;DR: Suggestion: If a player dodges an ARAM, they will always be assigned the champion they dodged until they don't dodge it.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I finally ended up doing it: I dodged at "champion select" on an ARAM because I didn't like the champion I got. In my defense: It was the same champion as the last ARAM, and I hated his guts. Of course, this still isn't an excuse; please smack me.

However, this led me to an idea. Most dodges are the result of someone getting a champion they dislike, right? So what if we were to FORCE that champion on them, so that dodging would have no effect?

My idea goes as follows:

-First, this idea would be vastly easier to implement if ARAM was a matchmade mode. It's not required, but I see the coding being a lot cleaner. (Though I still do want ARAM as a matchmade mode, so make it happen anyway!)
-Whenever a player dodges an ARAM game at the champion select screen, that player becomes "bound" to that champion for 24 hours.
-If a player joins an ARAM game while he is bound to a champion, he will be assigned that champion. He also cannot trade that champion away during champion select.
-If a player completes an ARAM game, he becomes unbound from that champion. Thus, he will again be assigned a random champion in the next ARAM.

-(This remedies the fact that a particular champion can only appear in a game up to once: ) If two or more players in the same game are bound to the same champion, only one of them will get that champion, but all other players will remain bound to that champion even after the game is completed.
-If the player dodges a game as mentioned above (one in which he entered bound to a champion, but didn't get that champion because someone else was also bound to the same champion), he becomes bound to the new champion he was randomly assigned as well. This can iterate, forming a queue. The oldest champion the player was bound to will always try to be assigned first. (If ARAM becomes matchmade and the player's bound champion queue becomes too long, perhaps consider disciplinary action.)

Buster Hymenn

02-11-2013

I like the idea honestly, but put yourself back into the situation you started off with. You'd have to play whoever it was again and probably not enjoy it.

Bensam123

02-11-2013

A matchmaker would fix all the dodging issues, which is supposedly planned.

Beravin

02-11-2013

As much as I like this idea, I've no doubt at all that it would "force" many players away from ARAMs.

I seriously doubt Riot would do anything (like this) to discourage people from playing.

Brodazzler

02-12-2013

Quote:
Bensam123:
A matchmaker would fix all the dodging issues, which is supposedly planned.

Oh really? Do you know more? Also I'd like to say that the few games I have dodged hasn't been because of the champ I had but rather the champs the other team had.

Zielmann

02-12-2013

I can happily say that I have left an ARAM during champion select only twice in my time playing. And both times were because something else came up and I simply wasn't going to play an ARAM at that time anyhow. Once was when my friends were looking for a 5th for a game on SR. And once was because something IRL pulled me away and I couldn't play at that time. Never bothered to dodge because of champions on either team.

Quote:
Brodazzler:
Oh really? Do you know more? Also I'd like to say that the few games I have dodged hasn't been because of the champ I had but rather the champs the other team had.

There's obviously been nothing officially announced, but several things have hinted at a matchmade queue being on the way. Sure, it has been some time, but it takes time to implement and test features before pushing them out. I'm still optimistic that the feature is on the way.

Warrrrax

02-12-2013

While its an interesting idea, it would be more work to do that than just make a real matchmaker queue which would fix teh problem already.

Youd also wind up with odd stuff like "ARAM DungDropper game" where everyone stuck with **** champs could go play real quick with their junk champs and clear them.

But then what if everyone is stuck with an Udyr? The others would be "unstuck" for that game? What if they dodged that game? Are they now stuck with Udyr, or the new champ?

Its easier just to do the matchmaking.

Doghealer

02-12-2013

Quote:
Warrrrax:
While its an interesting idea, it would be more work to do that than just make a real matchmaker queue which would fix teh problem already.

Youd also wind up with odd stuff like "ARAM DungDropper game" where everyone stuck with **** champs could go play real quick with their junk champs and clear them.

But then what if everyone is stuck with an Udyr? The others would be "unstuck" for that game? What if they dodged that game? Are they now stuck with Udyr, or the new champ?

Its easier just to do the matchmaking.

Yeah, I quickly realized that a lot of complications would arise in instances like this. I tried to answer them, but I'm still not entirely satisfied with what I came up with. Like I said, this would be soooooo much cleaner if ARAM became matchmade, because matchmaking could intentionally avoid matching two players bound to the same champion, thus eliminating the need for a bound champion queue altogether.

I answered you last question in the original post, but I suppose I'll clarify.

If two people (say, you and a guy I'll dub SummonerX) are both bound to Udyr and you both enter the same ARAM, only one of you gets Udyr. Lets say that's SummonerX. You will get a random champion as normal, and you'll be able to trade it as normal (However, you won't be able to trade with SummonerX for Udyr, because SummonerX is bound to Udyr and can't trade.).

From here, there are four possibilities:

1: The game goes through. You play the game, and one team wins. Now, SummonerX is unbound from Udyr. You, however, are still bound to Udyr because you didn't end up playing him. (In essence, you still haven't "served your sentence", so you aren't lifted from it.)

2: The game begins, but doesn't end. This could be because all ten players left the game, or because the servers crashed during the game. Nothing happens to binding states; both you and SummonerX are still bound to Udyr.

3: You dodge. You are now bound to both Udyr AND the champion you got. Later on, if you complete a game as Udyr, you'll become unbound from him, but you're still bound to the second champion, and have to complete a game with him as well. If you keep dodging as different champions, you'll continue to get bound to more and more champions.

4: Someone other than you dodges. Neither you nor SummonerX have their binding states changed; you are both still bound to Udyr. If both of you stay in the same room, it might be you that ends up as Udyr instead of summoner X when the game goes into champion select again.

TL;DR: This system makes a solid point: Don't dodge, and you won't get screwed.

KaXaSA51

02-12-2013

Quote:
Beravin:
As much as I like this idea, I've no doubt at all that it would "force" many players away from ARAMs.

I seriously doubt Riot would do anything (like this) to discourage people from playing.

you mean force many dodgers away from ARAMs which is a good thing, the whole point of ALL RANDOM is to play with w/e champion and team comp you get and make it work if you don't want to accept that and (or) want to play with a few selected champions then play Blind/ Draft mode and gtfo of All Random.

PrincessDerpy

02-12-2013

I smell someone buttmad he isn't getting free wins from stupefyingly terrible team comps.