Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Master Yi (Runes)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vladou

12-02-2009

This was probably brought to your attention too many times, but i couldn't find a prior thread with this subject.

I'd like to know what runes would best fit Master Yi, i was thinking of crit% rune only page but crit dmg% looks interesting aswell, and so does Armor pen. If you could explain why you chose a certain type of rune and help with this matter, i'd appreciated it.

Thank you.

Ksielvin

12-02-2009

Redoing my own runes soon, and the physical page will be used to play Yi among others. Had a look at the links in the guides sticky:

Quote:
Aregionius:

Master Yi
Master Yi, Master Of LoL (http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=12758) by ianderson
Master Yi:Late Game Gankathon (http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=16447) by Darkening
[Discussion] - Master Yi DPS Builds (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=26746)

Summary: First guide recommends crit damage runes with infinity edge, and armor penetration to make squishy targets squishier. Second guide stacks a Yi specific page with ALL runes crit chance so that after Phantom Dancer you got a ton of it. Though Infinity Edge would work very well with that he only mentions it late in the build. The discussion thread didn't result in anything useful with a quick word search for "rune".

The crit is certainly nice, I've been using it. I'd recommend chance over increased crit damage but it may depend on items and some people like the higher (luck-based) max burst damage. Do you want to enhance Yi's role as building destroyer? If yes, go for damage or armor penetration. You can't crit against buildings, or so I've seen commonly said on this forum. Attack speed isn't attractive because the runes appear weak and most builds get enough from items. After only ~75% from items Yi starts hitting the attack speed cap (2.5 attacks per sec) when using maxed Highlander. To me that's usually Phantom Dancer with a late item picked based on opponent items - Last Whisper, Bloodrazor etc. Also consider other things if you play with the same people often, like if you're maxed with items and Highlander on, then you can't really benefit from Sivir's ult.

The choice of defensive stats vs. secondary offensive stats in yellows is one everybody needs to make for themselves. Flat health is popular overall. I think magic resistance (which I've used) is now optimized for another color, check the tooltip changes in this patch. (Actual changes were made earlier but tooltips bugged.)

Before selecting blues, consider cooldown reduction. There's a cap of 40% reduction. How much do you want and how are you gonna get it? A mix of masteries, runes, items and golem buff is appropriate. You could also consider regen for better early farming. Or secondary offensive stats ofc.

EDIT: Remember that after seeing a good player in a game, you can always search for their name in friend list UI and check their profile (masteries and runes) without needing to befriend them.

Vladou

12-02-2009

Well, in closed beta, i had a full page of crit chance% which gave me 20%, never tried crit dmg% and Armor Pen. What i tried to do was an attack speed% page, which became pretty useless because Highlander has a short cd and the cap is 2.5. My original plan was to hit fast without using Highlander, when it was on cd. As for the item build, i usually go with these: Chalice, Berserker's Greaves, Phantom Dancer, 3x Ifinity Edge. I know IE has a UNIQUE passive, but it provides good dmg and good crit%, at then end i would come to 101% crit chance% and was rippins through "ANY" champions. What i did lately was to replace an IE for a Bloodthirster, which is pretty good, but i stil think i need my 100% crit.

So now, i'm thinking of making a crit% only page, which will give me a high crit% early game, and benefit me more from crti dmg%/Armor Pen. I was only looking for other point of views, before wasting all my IP.

Thanks again for answering.

Rockyhead

02-11-2011

Well, i got for Mark(+1.66 armor pen) seal(+1.41 armor) Glyph(+1.49 magic resist) Quintessence(+4.46% crit damage) and it seems very good for me and sometimes i change the armor pen of mark to crit damage.

RoflTroll

02-11-2011

I once did a simple calculation long ago, but basically

really low AD(like lv 1):
Flat AD > ArPen > Crit chance.

decent AD, soft target
ArPen > Crit

decent AD, target with 1 high armor item(something around 120 or 140 armor I think)
Crit > ArPen

high AD, armor doesn't matter
Crit > ArPen

Personally, I just like building all melee champs to be tanky.
So with Yi, it's something like
Runes: pure Crit chance, I use this page for any champ that heavily reliant on auto-attack for AD build(like Yi, Tryn, Sion)

Appropriate boot(mainly for armor or MR, I run cleanse so 1-2 stun won't stop me)
Wriggle(makes you able to grab buffs quickly, gives armor/damage/lifesteal to recover between fights when you don't have high level Meditate, or saving mana since my build have 0 MP regen outside of masteries)
Zeal, either finish it into PD later if I want more speed, or Triforce if I want more stability
Banshee
Last Whisper(melts both tank and squishy alike, if you have no flat ArPen this thing is at least 24 ArP against 60 armor target, and more on anything above that)

This gives me a decent amount of stats and can take some hits without fleeing after the enemy just burst me.
It won't make people explode like pure AD(IE, BT), but it's also less likely to get exploded by burst that pure AD will die to.