Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A tankplank's guide to critplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vegas Baby

11-10-2010

I love GP as well, he was my first choice and remains my favorite to this day.

I've had limited success with straight crit builds and more with attack speed builds, this looks like a nice solid build that compounds various factors I never considered.

I'll be trying this out and reporting back my thoughts and results.

Vegas Baby

11-10-2010

I was a Failplank going 2 - 8 -10 or something.

Buuuut I took the wrong skill and we kinda got raped by Heimerdinger/Ashe in laning. I definitely need to improve my farming because the build went pretty slow.

Vegas Baby

11-10-2010

Quote:
Vegas Baby:

Buuuut I took the wrong skill .

To begin I mean, took Parrrley by habit before Raise Morale.

Zathera

11-10-2010

I've been trying this build out as well and am having alot of sucess with it. I recently discovered Gangplank and enjoy playing him alot. I think his biggest fault is that after you hit someone with parrrly you have to run into melee to finish them off. Building him tanky really helps that. Anyway, kudos for the great guide

xahhfink6

11-10-2010

Quote:
Vegas Baby:
I was a Failplank going 2 - 8 -10 or something.

Buuuut I took the wrong skill and we kinda got raped by Heimerdinger/Ashe in laning. I definitely need to improve my farming because the build went pretty slow.

Hm, that could be a tricky one... if you are in a tough lane, especially a 2v1 you can turret hug and just come out to last hit with parrley (not having to get in harass range)

You shouldn't have to worry about getting pushed out if you can keep raising moral

Vegas Baby

11-11-2010

Quote:
xahhfink6:
Hm, that could be a tricky one... if you are in a tough lane, especially a 2v1 you can turret hug and just come out to last hit with parrley (not having to get in harass range)

You shouldn't have to worry about getting pushed out if you can keep raising moral

Yeah I'll be giving it a few more tries today. I was laning with a WW most of the time he was a bit over aggressive so we didn't tower hug as much as we should have. Also the other team had a really annoying Twitch who punished me everytime I stayed in lane with less than 40% health early on.

Team communication was definitely lacking.

saixx

Recruiter

11-11-2010

Something I keep seeing people say thats wrong is selling a gold per item takes 25 minutes to not lose gold...no it sells for half value. It takes 12.5 minutes to make your money back, from there its merely profit. Now lets see, did you get use out of that item? The crit from avarice, the armor n HP from HoG, the AP from pick. All of those you got value out of from stats AND you made profit off holding the item after 12.5 minutes. I use teleport on my GP at 3-4 minutes I have my Avarice and am back farming. At 16 minutes I'm making profit off holding that avarice.

I will say I like that you get avarice and HoG since they both build into things, but dont state incorrect info as fact. People keep saying that gold/per are wastes due to time it takes to pay off, but thats because they think it takes much longer due to the several guides ive seen now saying this. A 765 gold Avarice, which is quite cheap is 12% crit, and 5gold/10 I do buy two, but thats because I have them so early thanks to teleport they're making me profit at 16 minutes and 20 minute marks. Even an early ending game I am not losing money, I make gold on a game beyond 18 minutes(averaging the two because the first makes profit at 16 making the 2 minutes more worth 4 since two at once making me profiting a gold a second after 18 minutes.

I will start probably building a HoG in place of 2nd avarice for some survivability in games with phys dps. They need a MR version so people can build against mages and get gold/per.

Sorry for grammar I'm typing at work and kinda type between stuff. Just wanted to try to fix a sterotype view based on false information.

xahhfink6

11-11-2010

Quote:
saixx:
Something I keep seeing people say thats wrong is selling a gold per item takes 25 minutes to not lose gold...no it sells for half value. It takes 12.5 minutes to make your money back, from there its merely profit. Now lets see, did you get use out of that item? The crit from avarice, the armor n HP from HoG, the AP from pick. All of those you got value out of from stats AND you made profit off holding the item after 12.5 minutes. I use teleport on my GP at 3-4 minutes I have my Avarice and am back farming. At 16 minutes I'm making profit off holding that avarice.

I will say I like that you get avarice and HoG since they both build into things, but dont state incorrect info as fact. People keep saying that gold/per are wastes due to time it takes to pay off, but thats because they think it takes much longer due to the several guides ive seen now saying this. A 765 gold Avarice, which is quite cheap is 12% crit, and 5gold/10 I do buy two, but thats because I have them so early thanks to teleport they're making me profit at 16 minutes and 20 minute marks. Even an early ending game I am not losing money, I make gold on a game beyond 18 minutes(averaging the two because the first makes profit at 16 making the 2 minutes more worth 4 since two at once making me profiting a gold a second after 18 minutes.

I will start probably building a HoG in place of 2nd avarice for some survivability in games with phys dps. They need a MR version so people can build against mages and get gold/per.

Sorry for grammar I'm typing at work and kinda type between stuff. Just wanted to try to fix a sterotype view based on false information.

See, this is a common mistake...

If you teleport back and grab your first avarice blade at 4 minutes, and then you get your second one at 10 minutes... and then you sell your first one at 18 minutes (two minutes after it should be profitable) then the money you made is: 410 gold (first av blade) +180 (second av blade) - 750 (original cost 1) + 350 (1st selling price) = 190 Gold.

You would have made 190 gold and have 1 avarice blade left.

Now, consider if you had never bought the second avarice blade, and never sold the first one. At that 18 minute mark you would instead have made 410 profit and have 1 avarice blade left.

Having the single avarice blade is going to be more profitable than buying a second (or third etc) until the time has reached 12 minutes after the time when you bought the LAST avarice blade, always.

But even if you do wait that long... in this example you will not be making profit (above a single AvBlade) until 22 minutes, at which point you will be making 60 gold a minute... which would take 13 minutes to get enough gold for the the crit chance of the avarice blades... or 31 minutes to buy a BF sword with.

It is simply not cost effective to buy multiple gold/5 items with the intent to sell them

saixx

Recruiter

11-11-2010

for those wanting actual stats read bottom of my wall of text. Sorry for wall but working a road service job can make you a bit ranty at times. The math should be the major points in this.

why would i sell it at 18 minutes? I never said i did that Also you are missing so many aspects. While these generate gold I generate gold farming and from champ kills/assists. By 10 minutes I have both blades, shoes, and have denied exp from the enemy to the point I'm 1-2 levels higher as is my lane mate. I have by the 15-16 minute mark bought my BF sword, have both avarice blades still and if have gotten kills a crit cloak. I now am higher leveled than the enemy, have more gold income than the enemy, have more creep kills than the enemy, have because of these better stats and items than my enemy. I dont sell my avarice blades unless I have no room left. One becomes a ghostblade LATE game, the other sits unless I run out of slots. Even then I only sell it when I know that by selling it I will at that second have enough for the item to replace it(otherwise its a waste to sell since it couldve gotten you the item earlier instead of having a sitting component.)

The whole time I'm farming early game I'm getting a gold a second, plus creep kill, plus bonus gold from Parrrley. I can easily afford the 2 gold/10 items that boost my income throught the entire game and give me crit as well.

As I also already stated I do like the idea of HoG replacing the second avarice ONLY on a phys heavy enemy team. I dont buy randuins for that single phys AD when theres 3 mages and a tank and single AD.

Your last note it is not effective to buy multiple with intent to sell. 1 has intent to sell IF game goes that long. It will by that time have paid for itself and have made a few hundred gold profit.

Lets do some math yaaaaay! 18 minute mark both mine are making profit. thats 60 gold a minute profit. 25 minute mark hits. I have 420 gold profit, I still get 24% crit from them too for quite cheap. Game is going both sides are fairly good and we hit 40 minute mark. I made 1320 profit off them. Now most people say pffft 1320 I farm that way faster that 22 minutes...I was farming too. I was parrley killing too for more gold than you got for your kills. So lets say in 22 minutes you got 4k gold I got 5320 I then sold the 2nd avarice for 382 now in that time I made 1702 gold more than you in that time, before counting in parrrley kills for an extra 17 gold a piece, but say youre a GP too. I still got 1702 more gold than you. just basing off the avarice blades PROFIT. I still got 12% crit for them. Which leads into...
MORE MATH!!
880 is the price of a cloak which is 18% crit! That translates to 48.88888 gold per crit%.
In this sense that 12% crit from avarice is worth 586.66 gold so thats 179 gold for 5 gold/10 seconds. In reality the item starts profiting you at 6 minute mark. For arguements sake though I do usually state the value is at 12.5 minute mark as most people just look at when can I sell it and make my money back plus some.

Again apologies for the grammar/spelling. I am working and cant just sit around extensive periods of time to type.

saixx

Recruiter

11-11-2010

Quote:
xahhfink6:

But even if you do wait that long... in this example you will not be making profit (above a single AvBlade) until 22 minutes, at which point you will be making 60 gold a minute... which would take 13 minutes to get enough gold for the the crit chance of the avarice blades... or 31 minutes to buy a BF sword with.

It is simply not cost effective to buy multiple gold/5 items with the intent to sell them

This is your incorrect point It takes 6 minutes to make the gold back from the 5g/10 items to pay for the gold/10 trait. The crit comparing to cheapest crit/gold item is valuing crit% at 49 per %. 588 gold for 12% crit. 765 gold for the item that gives that and generates 5 gold/10. HoG I would like to try mixing into my build, but thats what 975 instead of 765. I dont have the stats in front of me or I'd find the armor and hp values for the item to gifure in its gold/10 cost. Look at the grand scheme not just the single aspect of gold/10.