Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A tankplank's guide to critplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xahhfink6

10-26-2010

Intro
Xahhfink6 here, a few of you may know me from my guides such as my popular corki one, or the regular posts I make on this board... but I'm here today to talk about one of my favorite champs in the game, Gangplank.

When I was still pretty new to the game (aka level 20-30 but bad), I took to gangplank as a tank option (i was a fan of non-traditional builds) and was the original one to bring the idea to the community... it is now recognized as a viable build and my guide to it is still widely recognized.

Anyways, I had never really tried critplank much during that time, but I eventually came to try him out and fell in love with gangplank all over again... I still play tankplank occasionally, but for the most part he has fallen out of being competetive, and a lot of his items were hit hard by nerfs/changes.

Besides learning about the character, things I learned from playing tankplank are that plank has amazing lane presense, he can do powerful damage early without much item investment (this is why those terrible avarice-stacking planks seems successful), and most importantly, that if gangplank does not die that he puts out insane amounts of damage.

So - I transfered what I learned over to critplank, and have come up with a build that finds room for a little bit of survivability, and in doing so can put out greater damage output than ever imaginable.

Why Gangplank?

Personally, I believe gangplank to be an extremelly powerful character. That said, much of the community disagree's with me, and they have a number of viable complaints, such as his dependence on RNG, and his inability to be a true ranged champion... but the fact of the matter is that the metagame is widely affected by tierlists, and as the metagame and tierlists stand, gangplank is one of the best counterpicks available.

Something to keep in mind is that means that this guide will be more viable for high elo gameplay than in low-mid elo.

So, what makes gangplank a good counterpick? Gangplank adds to the team in five unique characteristics. The first way is his ult, the second is his remove scurvy, the third is his passive, the fourth is his burst damage poking, and the final is his ability to deny.

1. AoE is still big in the current metagame, and the ability to turn around teamfights is an unbelievable skill that few other dps characters have, even the few who do (mf/twitch) depend heavily on a team's setup to pull them off... Cannon Barrage helps apply this setup. Cannon barrage is also an easy way to punish enemy attempts to use these tactics, as a twitch/MF/kog tries to position himself, you can relocate the teamfight to winning terms.

2. Remove Scurvy is OP. That said, it is better against certain types of CC than others... a constant CC user such as udyr, sion, or kennen may be more trouble to gangplank than someone with powerful CC on a very long cooldown. Gangplank is very good against that kind of champ. Also keep in mind that remove scurvy ignores suppression, so he can cleanse out of WW, Malzahar and Urgot

3. If remove scurvy is op, Grog Soaked Blade is Jesse Perring... critplank may not be able to abuse this overpowered ability as much as tankplank can for damage, but the passive healing debuff effect still counters many champions, especially those with sustained healing rather than burst healing (aka, sona/mundo a lot more than soraka or janna)

4. Gangplank is considered the bane of squishies for a good reason, and 1200 damage parrleys are the reason why. Even without being fed, without a solo lane, and without massive support, gangplank has the ability to force every champion on the other team to pick up at least one MAJOR armor item, or lose 60% of their hp through poking, before they can even enter a fight. (and of course get annihilated if they actually do try to fight)

5. Finally, the reason that carries hate gangplank is his ability to deny, taking 1+ minion from every wave (particularly the ones worth the most gold/exp). This has the ability to completely gimp a solo carry, keep a solo side lane even with a duo, or give a huge advantage in a duo lane... not only does it take gold and experience from them, but it also pushes their lane back towards your tower, where you can farm or kill them at leisure... this also makes it very hard for enemy gankers to attack your lane. In general, any champ that truly needs farming to be good can be heavily gimped by this.

So, how do these five unique features help gangplank in the current metagame? Well, let's take an exerpt from the current tier list according to Elementz:
Tier 1: Galio, Sona, Amumu, Morgana, Ashe, Warwick, Janna, Anivia, Annie, Taric, Shen
Tier 2: Kennen, Miss Fortune, Tristana, Twitch, Kog'Maw, Kassadin, Twisted Fate, Garen, Xin Zhao, Udyr, Zilean, Vladimir, Olaf.

So lets see which of these fall under champions that gp counters... I will list the names vertically and the # of the way that he helps counter them.
Galio - 1, 2, 5
Sona - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Amumu - 1, 2, 5
Morgana - 1, 2, 4
Ashe - 2, 3, 4, 5
Warwick - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (gp is pretty much a hardcounter to WW, the most used jungler)
Janna - 4
Anivia - 1, 4, 5
Annie - 2, 4, 5
Taric - 3
Shen - 2, 5
Kennen - 4, 5
MF - 1, 4, 5
Tristana - 4, 5
Twitch - 1, 4, 5
Kog Maw - 1, 4, 5
etc.

As you see, gangplank is a strong pick against a majority of the tier 1 and tier 2 champions that will be seen in almost every high elo game, and is even a hard counter to some of them (Sona and warwick)

So, now that you've got some background on the champ, lets go into the build

Runes/Masteries

In masteries, I run 21/0/9... generally I would use 9/0/21 on any non-tank...but with gangplank the armor pen is too good to pass on, and once you've given up SS cdr, the 10% crit damage is too good to pass on, and once you've gone that far, it'd be silly not to grab the 5% extra damage, so 21/0/9 it is, grabbing the physical damage masteries, the cooldown, the mpen (for his ult), the armor pen, and anything crit related, getting the exp bonus and greed from utility.

For Runes:
Armor Pen Marks
Armor Pen Quints
Mp/5/level Seals
MR/level Glyphs

The MR/level is up to be changed, either to flat MR or flat CDR, but the armor pen is set in stone, even if crit runes allow you some kind of gimmicky luck-based damage at the beginning, there are no runes that will increase your damage output throughout the entire game more than the armor pen. The mp is also pretty much nessesary, because gp is a mana hog and even with chalice can be running out (remeber anyways that chalice is a % based on existing mana regen, so having some base is needed to be useful)

As far as summoner spells, I always take teleport and ghost, the teleport is far too important to stay in lane (and keep the level advantage) and to get your early chalice, and ghost is your best escape spell.

Skill Build
1. Raise Moral (E)
2. Parley (Q)
3. Q
4. Remove Scurvy (W)
5 Q
6. Canon Barrage (R)
7. W or Q
8. W or Q
9. Q
10. W
11. R
12. W
13. W
14. E
15. E
16. R
17. E
18. E

Pretty straight forward - take raise moral first to deny creeps in lane, max your Q for harrasing and for farming, and your heal because its amazing and gets much better as you level it... at 7/8, what you level up depends on your lane... level 1 remove scurvy is pretty much useless as a heal, really only giving the cleanse, so if you need the HP in lane you can level it up at 7, possibly even at 8 too if you have a really nasty lane such as MF or Kat. Raise moral is great, but i've tried leveling it earlier and the damage increase really isnt worth the loss in damage, farming, healing, and utility that the other two skills bring.

As far as using the skills, use raise moral any time the enemy is trying to farm or you aren't intentionally pushing the lane to deny the enemies of gold and exp, always focus on hitting the canon minion this way, and try to get melee minions over caster ones, as they are worth more gold and exp. If you ARE trying to push the lane, do the opposite as canon minions can tank towers for much longer, and try to wait for the tower shot to be on its way to the minion before killing it.

Parrley should pretty much be used whenever available, in the early game you should be last hitting with it regularly, as it gives huge gold benefits (in fact, you should be doing this any time not in a teamfight... work on your attack timings so that the last hit is by parrrley for extra gold) Parley is a good harass, especially against squishies, but unless the enemies are trying to push your tower, you should be fine to sit back, deny them exp, and outfarm them. Late game this obviously is your nuke and should be aimed at a squishies face whenever possible.

Remove scurvy should be saved to clear CC whenever possible, but if you are in lane or out of combat it serves as a very potent heal.

As far as canon barrage, its hard to explain in writing, but positioning canon barrage is an art, you want to put it where it will do the most damage and where it will force people to move the directions you want them to go. As far as basic tips, don't try to initiate with canon barrage, as the enemy will move from it before fighting, wait until your initiators are in and the enemy is commited to the fight before unleashing hell. When still in lane, try to save it to help allies win fights or to prevent ganks... it can be used to clear a minion wave but only as a last resort and only when the wave (with someone with it) is going to take a tower. Even with high CDR, this ability is far too good to be used without drawing human blood.

Item Build
Here is the most important part of the guide
Meki Pendant + 2 Hp Pots
->Chalice of Harmony
Avarice Blade
Heart of Gold
Mercury Treads
BF Sword
Agility Cloak
->Infinity Edge
Brutalizer
->Youmuu's Ghostblade
Vamp scepter
->Executioner's Calling
->Randuin's Omen
(selling chalice)Blackcleaver

Overall, this build order is very subject to change depending on the game, but the items built generally stay the same. Starting with mana regen and the hp potions lets you be relatively safe early game in regards to hp/mana, and lets you deny at every opportunity. Don't be afraid to immediately start farming with parrley spam to get gold, because as soon as you hit 590 gold, you can blue pill, grab chalice and a ward (for dragon or for bushes if solo lane) and start spamming like crazy. With chalice, you can basically use any of your abilities (besides ult) any time they are off cd.

As I said before, gangplank is pretty scary in lane, especially when denying lets him sit by the tower and farm on his terms, and because he is powerful without early game items, he can afford to spend gold on three items based on farming (HoG, Av, and Chalice). While your first BF sword is a very important goal, with just these early items, gangplank can deal quite a bit of damage, or can make his presense known via ult.

On gold/second items:
A lot of people get confused about my heart of gold, and a lot of people are terrible and get 2+ avarice blades... Yes, I am getting more than one gold item, but I intend to use both of them in my build in later items, and I am not stacking crit chance... the reasons that stacking avarice blades is so bad is because crit adds very little to a champion by itself, and because it takes SO long for the gold to pay off... unless you are waiting 25 minutes from the time when you buy the LAST avarice blade to sell one, then you are selling at a loss. I can honestly see no time when buying a gold/5 item with the intent to sell it is a viable option. As far as heart of gold, it gives everything gangplank needs early to survive - a little bit of armor and a whole lot of hp for cheap. With his naturally high hp, the hp from this, and his immunity to CC, gangplank is very quickly going to find himself comfortably sitting in lane getting gold... and unlike other champs that try this, gankplank's ult means that other towers will not be getting ganked/pushed because of his farming. (Quick note, with these items and runes, GP will be sitting at about 85 armor and 115 MR at this point in the game, with high hp and a heal)

Youmuu's is an amazing item for buffing damage on GP, but getting infinity edge done is usually the priority. Once you have IE done, you should try to have a green potion active at pretty much any time. After that, round out your armor pen by getting youmuus (parrley has a huge base damage, especially with crit and crit damage applying to it, so getting max armor pen can make a bigger difference than stacking damage can). Also by this point CDR is a big priority, to get as many shots and heals off as possible. You can grab the vamp scepter before going to brutalizer if you are at that point of gold... and at some point upgrade your HoG into Randuins... at this point in the game you will see that gangplank truly can be a carry, your auto attacks will be in the 600 range, parrleys in the 900+ range, you will be lifestealing massive amounts, have almost max cdr, huge hp pool, 170 armor, 130 MR, spammable heal, aoe team buff, devastating ult... and the ability to go GODMODE by pressing 1+2 at the same time (this is where I keep youmuu's and randuins)

in most cases, activating both actives at the same time is beneficial and easiest, and can immediately turn any fight your way, draining enemy speed and attack speed to turn yours into something of legends.

Anyways, as I vaguely mentioned, that vamp scepter can either be turned into a executioners calling (this is what I most commonly do), but it can also be turned into a starks if you have another physical carry that is doing better than you, or can be turned into a bloodthirster if the enemy team is not buying any armor. Chalice can be sold at the end to turn into any of these items, or blackcleaver to increase damage and armor pen.

Conclusion
Not much to say here, just wishing good luck with my favorite pirate, and trying to raise some commotion to show people how good gangplank is at higher elo play, especially with a little bit of tank behind him

As with any of my guides, I will respond to any reasonable comments here, and welcome anyone to add me in game to discuss champions or to have some fun playing our favorite game!

-Xahhfink6 out

Seasonal

10-26-2010

hmm never realised gp could use remove scurvy on suppresion, i'll keep that in mind

And I'm not really sure how your build is a "crit plank" 15% from ghost blade 20% from IE and 15%? from Ex Ca adds up to 50% crit . . . I'd have thought a crit plank build would include crit chance runes and mention an elixir of agility or two.

I'm not really convinced on your explanations of gangplank being a good counter pick unless you are going to take mid and deny their carry . . . ?

PS: Does sheen work well with parley or not?

gearsh1ft

10-26-2010

Sheen does work with Parrley, but it's well known that it still gives less than getting more pure AD or ArPen.

I like this build a lot, it's sort of a hybrid tankcritplank which is something I've been experimenting with. I would recommend trying to build an Atma's, since the extra HP from Randuin's will boost your AD by quite a bit.

xahhfink6

10-26-2010

Yeah, atma's would probably be another option for endgame instead of blackcleaver, but it usually doesn't go that late anyways...

@seasonal, I do mention green elixers, 15% + 20% + 15% + 20% +3% (mastery) = 73%, more than enough crit chance for a pirate

gearsh1ft

10-26-2010

Also, end game for some ArPen I might suggest Last Whisper. 40% penetration ends up being a lot, especially if the other team is made up of all tanky DPS', and of course the attack speed boost is nothing to forget about either.

I should mention that early game, flat ArPen > pct ArPen (you can do the math to figure out effectiveness), so ArPen runes and an early brutalizer can put squishies to 0 effective armor.

xahhfink6

10-26-2010

Quote:
gearsh1ft:
Also, end game for some ArPen I might suggest Last Whisper. 40% penetration ends up being a lot, especially if the other team is made up of all tanky DPS', and of course the attack speed boost is nothing to forget about either.

I should mention that early game, flat ArPen > pct ArPen (you can do the math to figure out effectiveness), so ArPen runes and an early brutalizer can put squishies to 0 effective armor.

always solid advice, but unless they are truly stacking armor against me I will end up getting more from blackcleaver or starks, simply because the 50 armor pen I already have will go through before the last whisper's % reduction, meaning that at anything less than 100 armor, starks will pen for more than LW (and for the whole team)

xahhfink6

10-26-2010

bump

xahhfink6

10-27-2010

i really should have added the [guide] tag to this

xahhfink6

10-29-2010

kabumping

xahhfink6

11-10-2010

bumping all night