Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Experimenting with HP Bars

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

Recruiter

02-09-2013

Hey guys,

We're experimenting with ways to improve the readability of high HP characters in the game.

For the version you're seeing, we've changed the HP bars to 200 and added thicker, darker ticks for 1,000 hp.

This isn't final, but we'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. As always, visual sketches are super helpful.

Latest iteration.

KaoSasin

02-09-2013

I love the idea of putting those thicker ticks per 1,000 hp, and the 200hp per bar thing makes it easier to tell how much hp a tank has. The only problem so far is getting use to it :P. It's a bit hard for me to adjust to this and i keep thinking the enemy has less hp than they actually do, but that's just something that people will have to adjust to. Overall, i think this new spin on the hp bars great.

Fluffl

02-09-2013

I love the idea of the dark bars every 1k health but the 200 health bars are extremely hard to get used to. I'd prefer the 100 health hp bars but have some way of identifying how many "chunks" on larger hp tanks.

kevin0905

02-09-2013

I find the 1k mark to be useful but changing to 200 hp per bar just seems unnecessary and most players including myself will have a hard time getting used to it. Perhaps implement the 200 health per chunk if max hp is over 3000?

IntoTheDusk

02-09-2013

I think the "notches" at every 1000 hp are enough. Also, consider putting in above the hp bar meters of armor and mr. It'd be nice to see who's building what without going and clicking on every champion.

Marisa

02-09-2013

Let's examine this a bit: What is the purpose of having a health bar? It's to visually represent the % of health that a character currently has and, by visually showing the portion of health that is being removed, representing the % of health that is being removed by DPS. It's not meant to show very close estimates or exact numbers; merely to give a feel. There already is a system to show exact numbers; that is, displaying the exact health of the champion.

Therefore, if your problem is that people don't know health at higher levels display the exact health of a champion around their health bars. It doesn't add toooo much clutter or force a change in readability, it solves the problem of high health display and it let's people calculate their own DPS or soak ability more accurately.

Tortferngatr

02-09-2013

While I haven't seen the system in practice yet, I would probably have a third, light set of ticks represent 100 HP markers. This is mostly just to make people more comfortable with the system. Other than that, this is actually not a bad idea.

...Incidentally, can we have a variant on the HP ticks for Mordekaiser's shield bar? It isn't exactly very readable for enemies in its current state, and proves frustrating to face sometimes.

Millouis

02-09-2013

I like the stuff separating every 1k but I do not like 200 markers, I prefer the old 100. Way easier to measure your damage against someone's health.

CynicalGiant

02-09-2013

I want Bonus health to be a visible stat, like armor and mr are. You see it on your bar, and when you hover over it you can see how much bonus health you have.

KesslerCOIL

02-09-2013

Xelnath, This is an honest request.
Please let us change this in the Options Menu if this goes through.. please
This change screws up the laning phase soo bad and makes all in's stupid hard to judge their success.