Do Blitzcrank, Amumu, Malphite, shen, and alistair need a rework?

Malphite could use a change. 9 15.52%
Blitzcrank could use a change. 12 20.69%
Shen could use a change. 8 13.79%
Alistair could use a change. 7 12.07%
Ammumu could use a change 16 27.59%
They are fine, but somebody has to be banned and people like to gripe. 31 53.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Frequent champion bans;

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abroad Unicorn

02-09-2013

The community has gotten to a point where the same 3 or 4 champions get banned from the vast majority of games: Shen, Malphite, Amumu, Blitzcrank, and Alistair(not so often). The practice of banning these champions has become so common that if an enemy team, even in ranked, manages to get 1 or more of them on their team somebody is inclined to dodge. To me, this is indicative of a problem that should be addressed. I personally really like ammumu and his back-story, but i never get to play him in ranked because he is always banned. While i do not personally hate facing a Blitzcrank, I agree that it is simply easier to not have to face him. There is no question in my mind that Malphite and Alistair are strong champions that are capable of controlling the direction of a team fight - but I still wish they weren't banned from every game. What do you guys think?

Suggestion: Shen could be very easily balanced by putting a shorter range on his ult, as opposed to it being map wide. If his ultimate was on the range of, oh say, Pantheons, his utility would be diminished to a balanced point.

de Dust

02-09-2013

Maybe in low ELO that might be the case.

All of the listed champions have had recent tournament play, so obviously they can be beat.

It's not the champion you should fear, but the summoner behind them.

black gallagher

02-09-2013

You should ban Amu and Malphite every game, there are counters to them but your random team of 5 wont have the comp for it or the coordination to not all 5 get hit by the ults. Shen is iffy, blitzcrank is a dumb ban.

Abroad Unicorn

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadust1 View Post
Maybe in low ELO that might be the case.

All of the listed champions have had recent tournament play, so obviously they can be beat.

It's not the champion you should fear, but the summoner behind them.
I agree with your last statement, but i feel that when a champion becomes annoying, or difficult, enough for the majority of players to not want to play against them there is likely a problem that needs addressing.

Abroad Unicorn

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by black gallagher View Post
You should ban Amu and Malphite every game, there are counters to them but your random team of 5 wont have the comp for it or the coordination to not all 5 get hit by the ults. Shen is iffy, blitzcrank is a dumb ban.
I feel that if a champion HAS to be counter-picked, then that champion is an issue. Whether one champion is strong against another is irrelevant, player skill should be infinitely more important. So when the best gangplank(hyperbole) in the world goes up against a Malphite, the Malphite should still have to try pretty hard to win the lane, as opposed to simply relying on the champion strengths.

TLDR: This isn't a game of tic-tac-toe, we aren't laning against X's and O's. If champion A is strong against champion B, then a fair fight should still take place.

de Dust

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbroadUnicorn View Post
TLDR: This isn't a game of tic-tac-toe, we aren't laning against X's and O's. If champion A is strong against champion B, then a fair fight should still take place.
In a perfect world, yes this would be the case. However, it is incredibly difficult to keep champions balanced when changes to the gameplay (itemization, new champions, coefficient balancing) are constantly taking place.

Balancing this game is an immense task, and I'd say Riot has done a pretty good job keeping it more or less balanced (aside from random issues from time to time).

Abroad Unicorn

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadust1 View Post
In a perfect world, yes this would be the case. However, it is incredibly difficult to keep champions balanced when changes to the gameplay (itemization, new champions, coefficient balancing) are constantly taking place.

Balancing this game is an immense task, and I'd say Riot has done a pretty good job keeping it more or less balanced (aside from random issues from time to time).
I agree, RIOT is doing an incredible job of keeping the game balanced. However, I would say these same champions getting banned from the vast majority of ranked play counts as one of those "random issues" :P.

Abroad Unicorn

02-09-2013

Another ranked game with the same exact bans. Game leader even got yelled at for banning singed first, his next two were standard picks though.

And it was K

02-09-2013

They don't need a rework. Those champions just require coordination to play against effectively, and you can't really trust your teammates in solo queue, so it's better to ban them in most cases.

There are definitely stronger champions out there, but they can be overcome through individual skill or minimal teamwork compared to what it takes to avoid what those frequent bans dish out.

Abroad Unicorn

02-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
They don't need a rework. Those champions just require coordination to play against effectively, and you can't really trust your teammates in solo queue, so it's better to ban them in most cases.

There are definitely stronger champions out there, but they can be overcome through individual skill or minimal teamwork compared to what it takes to avoid what those frequent bans dish out.
Is not that indicative that they are stronger champions? Wouldn't a malphite, alistair, and ammumu with just as much coordination win?