Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

HP Bar Change

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaawn

02-09-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
We are experimenting with this, it won't be going out in the next patch.

We feel that 200 hp bars are far more readible in the level 5-13 range, but the transition is a bit rough. We really feel that showing precise health in the 2k-3k range is very important after the Season 3 changes.

How would you represent the health bars instead?

I know so far it is somewhat unpopular, but have you tried even larger bars? Like...1 bar = 500? I personally like the 200hp bars, but maybe part of the initial negative reaction is that 200hp is too close to 100hp, so it isn't immediately obvious to players that the bars represent a different amount now...it looks like "I have no hp!". If they were 500hp bars, I think it would be more obvious. 500hp bars also make calculations easier, may remove the need for the thicker lines for 1000hp, etc...

The only downside may be that calculated changes in HP from the bar may be slightly more difficult. I don't think it would be too bad though...with such large bars it is easy enough to estimate.

TheBakerman

02-09-2013

Quote:
Sageoffire:
Is there any particular reason HP bars need to show missing health?

a tank with 3000HP is going to be a bunch of tiny little lines, but you still read it as "way too much HP to kill" as you poke them down, the lines start to get bigger and bigger, because you would be using the dead space for better readability instead of missing HP.

I think that would be confusing because for a while it would look like they're not dying. By having the bars they way they are you can see their max health,how much is left,and how much damage has been done so far.

RabbitFireX

02-09-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
We are experimenting with this, it won't be going out in the next patch.

We feel that 200 hp bars are far more readible in the level 5-13 range, but the transition is a bit rough. We really feel that showing precise health in the 2k-3k range is very important after the Season 3 changes.

How would you represent the health bars instead?

I would keep the same 100 HP per bar. Much easier to read on a champion. I would also keep the new change of the thicker line to indicate 1000 HP. That change does help with instantaneously seeing how much health a champion has.

Late game no one truly cares about the exact amount of HP a champion has. A player just needs to know in thousands. Like Malphite has 3000+ HP don't focus him. The 200 HP bar wouldn't effect that mind set; however, The 200 HP bar effects the early game mindset though. Like Vayne has umm wait 200 x 2.5 that 450 instead of Vayne has 400 ish HP, you can dive her.

TheBakerman

02-09-2013

Quote:
RabbitFireX:
I would keep the same 100 HP per bar. Much easier to read on a champion. I would also keep the new change of the thicker line to indicate 1000 HP. That change does help with instantaneously seeing how much health a champion has.

Late game no one truly cares about the exact amount of HP a champion has. A player just needs to know in thousands. Like Malphite has 3000+ HP don't focus him. The 200 HP bar wouldn't effect that mind set; however, The 200 HP bar effects the early game mindset though. Like Vayne has umm wait 200 x 2.5 that 450 instead of Vayne has 400 ish HP, you can dive her.

I agree completely.

Johnny Triangles

02-09-2013

What if you did something like in fighting games, where after a certain amount of health a second health bar of a different colour overlays the green health bar? Like, say, after 1k hp your bar gets overlaid with a blue bar, and then another colour after 2k, etc.

Stexe

Recruiter

02-09-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
We tried that Ronald, and internally people felt confused when "1 tick" had a different meaning on two different characters.

Yeah, it is definitely best to keep it all consistent. The new black bar is great, but I'm not sure about each bar being 200 -- it is a bit weird for older players who use it to gauge how much health someone has / damage they can take.

Going to test it out a bit more. Have you tried 150 life? It seems weird since it isn't a round number, but it might work better.

Fomorian27

Recruiter

02-09-2013

I like this change. It's a kinda-sorta buff to darius, since counting the health bars to get an estimate of how much damage your ult is going to do just got easier. Before, I wouldn't even try to count, I'd just eyeball it.

Jaawn

02-09-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
We tried that Ronald, and internally people felt confused when "1 tick" had a different meaning on two different characters.

You could experiment with different colors? Maybe darker = more HP. This makes it a bit more obvious since 1 'light' bar != 1 'dark' bar

You could make the default color a paler green as well to accentuate the effect and alert players to the change a bit more.

Jaawn

02-09-2013

Quote:
Johnny Triangles:
What if you did something like in fighting games, where after a certain amount of health a second health bar of a different colour overlays the green health bar? Like, say, after 1k hp your bar gets overlaid with a blue bar, and then another colour after 2k, etc.

This is a good idea as well...although would require a great deal more work in redesigning the bar itself (as opposed to just the division of the smaller units)

Enterti

02-09-2013

Have you tried putting lines of health on top of each other? Say each line being 1k hp and made of 100hp bars.