Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

HP Bar Change

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RabbitFireX

02-09-2013

For those of you who don't know on the PBE a bar of health now represents 200 HP instead of 100 HP.

This is a horrible change, not only is it confusing to those who have played the game forever but it's also unnecessary. If these changes were made to better show HP on tanks it does make it slightly easier but once you get to 3000+ HP but players know to click on a tanky champ and see the amount of HP they have. They know not to sit there estimating how much health they have.

This major impact this has is to the game at lower levels. I main support and I love Sona dearly and with this change her HP bar is just cut in half at level one. This makes her look like she only has 200 HP and also look much squishier than she actually is. I haven't seen Anivia in game but I bet she also looks this laughable. This has to be one of the most misleading changes to the game ever. It's also pointless, everyone likes the 100 HP per bar system. It makes so much more sense!

Riot please don't let this go live! For the sake of squishy champs everywhere!

Edit: Keep the thicker line for every 1000 HP but revert back to 100 HP bar. I think that would be best.

RexSaur

02-09-2013

Indeed it looks terrible early game.

While it does look better when you are seeing 3k hp tanks, you dont really need to know their exact hp, you know they are tanky and if you need to you just click them.

Jaawn

02-09-2013

I disagree, I like it. It was jarring at first. It feels like you only have like 300hp at start! So I definitely understand not liking that part. However, this will fix something that messes with my head when someone stacks HP. All of the extra little black lines denoting the bars sometimes make it appear as if they are taking less damage than they are.

Now, I know they are taking damage, and I can click them to see their exact amounts, but seeing it more clearly in the bar is nice.

I think it will only be a minor adjustment. After a few games I think I'll get used to it.

TheBakerman

02-09-2013

It is terrible,I despise the new bars and don't even want to play anymore because they are just that bad.

Fluffl

02-09-2013

Quote:
RexSaur:
Indeed it looks terrible early game.

While it does look better when you are seeing 3k hp tanks, you dont really need to know their exact hp, you know they are tanky and if you need to you just click them.

It's kinda hard to break a habit that has been going on for years.

Xelnath

Recruiter

02-09-2013

We are experimenting with this, it won't be going out in the next patch.

We feel that 200 hp bars are far more readible in the level 5-13 range, but the transition is a bit rough. We really feel that showing precise health in the 2k-3k range is very important after the Season 3 changes.

How would you represent the health bars instead?

TheBakerman

02-09-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
We are experimenting with this, it won't be going out in the next patch.

We feel that 200 hp bars are more readible in the late game, but the transition is a bit rough. We really feel that showing precise health in the 2k-3k range is very important after the Season 3 changes.

How would you represent the health bars instead?

It has never bothered me seeing someone with a lot of bars above their head. They have a lot of health,ok, no big deal. If you want to see the exact amount of health you can just click them and see it in the top left.

It's like you guys are trying to solve something that isn't a problem.

RonaldLoveCraft

Huntsman

02-09-2013

Why not switch to the black bars once you reach a certain health threshold ?

Xelnath

Recruiter

02-09-2013

We tried that Ronald, and internally people felt confused when "1 tick" had a different meaning on two different characters.

Sageoffire

02-09-2013

Is there any particular reason HP bars need to show missing health?

a tank with 3000HP is going to be a bunch of tiny little lines, but you still read it as "way too much HP to kill" as you poke them down, the bars start to get bigger and bigger, because you would be using the dead space for better readability instead of missing HP.

it would only be a bit confusing for champions that scale off missing health, vs confusing to anyone who is used to 1 bar = 100 HP