Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What is MMR?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EpicL00tz

05-04-2013

Quote:
King Pikmin:
Pretty much this. It stands for "Match making rating". If your MMR is higher than where you currently are, you will gain more LP and lose less LP. If your MMR is lower than where you currently are, you will lose more LP and gain less LP.

So how is MMR calculated? I recently completed (on another account) my placement matches and had a few games afterwards. I noticed I gain about 20+ LP each win.

Why doesn't the placement system place you at a league/division where the LP gained and lost is pretty much even, i.e. placing you at your deserved league/division?

So back to the question, how is MMR calculated?

Level 5 Sommy

05-13-2013

Matchmaking Rating

RainbowFreeze

08-23-2013

Quote:
gsai64:
It your hidden elo that actually decides who you play against. Leagues don't really do anything they're just for show.

Leagues are all a conspiracy!

SKT T1 Corkii

11-05-2013

So this resets every season? Like season 4 resets your MMR?

Sir Fluffums

11-05-2013

Monkey man rapists
be careful
they're out there

pet pie lemon

12-24-2013

yes

CowsIsANoob

12-24-2013

It stands for Match Making Rating. Basically, MMR refers to your Rank and Tier. The average MMR of your team compared to the enemy team, determines how much LP(League Points) you earn or lose after each game. If you win a game against a team with a higher MMR than your team, than you get more LP. Similarly, if you lose against a team with lower MMR than your team, you would lose more LP.

I hope that answers your question.

Edit: I saw a couple people say it's the equivalent of your old ELO. That is most certainly not true. ELO is derived from your own statistics, whereas individual MMR is based on the MMR of all other players.

Riot switched to this new system of Ranks because it makes matchmaking more precise and gives a more accurate assessment of one's individual skill level in comparison to other players.

Edit: Sorry, changed "Rank" to "Rating"

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_system

StopTheRaging

01-14-2014

It is your sectret Elo

archangelfighter

Recruiter

01-14-2014

Quote:
HypeInLimitz:
It is your sectret Elo

You.
You are responsible for this necro.

Mostswagever

07-10-2014

Magic moose repellant