Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@RIOT Game Programmers, Coding Like A Boss How?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Major Jae

Recruiter

02-07-2013

I have two goals for my life. My first dream is to code game characters to do the stuff we see champs do in LoL. And my second dream is to work at riot as a game programmer while I fulfill my first dream. So, pretty much what Xypherous does.

Back in the day when I played CS:S I would always play WCS servers and my favorite thing to do was make custom races for people when they asked. I would end up the main admin when it came to creating these races many times. Any time I looked at the coding I would be in love. As I was doing this I realized that this is what I wanted to do with my life. Create coding to make game characters do the awesome things that they do. Not create the models, art and what not. I want to write what tells them what to do.

My issue with this though is that I have no idea where to go to achieve my dreams of working at RIOT and coding for them. ATM I am attending school for Networking Systems Administration but I know that wont get me there nor is it even entertaining.

So my question is: RIOT's Game Programmers.. What did you do to get to where you are at RIOT to be coding the champs. What school did you attend? What sort of stuff was on your Resume? and What should I be knowledgeable about to work at RIOT as a Programmer?

(Also, an idea I have thought about doing as far as something for a programmers resume, was to create a WCS server once its released for CS:GO and make my own WCS Server that I will write all the races for and then personally balance them. Much like what is done at RIOT. So everything with the server I would be doing solely when it comes to Races, Balance, and running the server.

EDIT: Thank you so much WhattyaBrian and Schmick for your help and everyone else.
If it is possible Whattya.. Could you spread the word to a designer to help my case to tell me in which direction I should be going =) if not, thank you for your help thus far!

Major Jae

Recruiter

02-07-2013

Bump in hope to grab a Reds attention =/

Please bump this thread to help my case.

Major Jae

Recruiter

02-08-2013

Bump

Major Jae

Recruiter

02-09-2013

Bump, would really like a red

Rockstar8577

02-09-2013

First thing is you would probably want a major in Computer Science instead.

Second there are different categories for programming when it comes to games. There are physics, AI, networking, game play, graphics. If you work at Riot most likely you will only be coding in one area, but then again Riot could move people around a lot.

Third is learn languages, and learn them now. The coding you did would be scripting if I'm not mistaken. Very similar, but they still have their differences.

Fourth do projects. Having a degree is nice, but companies like a person to have a portfolio showcasing their skills and that they know what they are doing.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, I'm not a professional coder. Just someone that share's the same dream of being a game programmer and possibly working for a company like Riot.

Major Jae

Recruiter

02-10-2013

Quote:
Rockstar8577:

Second there are different categories for programming when it comes to games. There are physics, AI, networking, game play, graphics. If you work at Riot most likely you will only be coding in one area, but then again Riot could move people around a lot.

Third is learn languages, and learn them now. The coding you did would be scripting if I'm not mistaken. Very similar, but they still have their differences.

Fourth do projects. Having a degree is nice, but companies like a person to have a portfolio showcasing their skills and that they know what they are doing.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, I'm not a professional coder. Just someone that share's the same dream of being a game programmer and possibly working for a company like Riot.

Thank you though for your input

Major Jae

Recruiter

02-11-2013

Quote:
Rockstar8577:

Thanks for the info would still love a red though

SlayerZ

Recruiter

02-11-2013

i think there were a couple of threads where reds talked about what they did as a programmer

Major Jae

Recruiter

02-11-2013

Quote:
xtwizted:
i think there were a couple of threads where reds talked about what they did as a programmer

happen to have a link?

SSj Heimerdinger

02-11-2013

C++ is a major if you want to get into riot, master C++ and most languages will come to you naturally as C++ has the similar syntax tree as other languages such as java and C. Another few good languages to pick up is ASM, C#, inline editing with C++ and ASM, Java, Javascript, MySQL/MSSQL and maybe a touch of perl.

^^ Good luck.