Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What the feck am i doing wrong with Janna ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sierskan

10-25-2010

Hi everyone, i'm a dedicated LoL player that has been around for more then a year, during this time i've tried to play Janna several times without any major success.

Sure i've had some fair games but most of the times i end up with something like 2/4/8 which i would like to improve to atleast 2/1/12 or somethinh more positive atleast.
I love playing janna but i feel like i really need to improve.

I seem to constantly fail with aiding my teammates and don't think i really understand the nature of her. I mained Soraka for more then 3 months and totally rocked with her, also played a bunch of other support champions and i've had alot more success with all of them but not with Janna.

So what am i doing wrong ? Can i get some tips and tricks for how to play her ?

DrDragun

10-25-2010

Max shield first and put it on the right person. A rushed Banshee veil might be necessary to use your ult correctly, otherwise soulstealer is good because Janna bangs out assists. Get whatever items the game calls for; for example frozen heart is great if the enemy has 2+ physical carries. I usually level the tornado and zehyr equally after shield, though some people say just rush zephyr with 1 point in tornado. Evaluate the first 3 seconds of the teamfight and decide whether to reset it or not with your ult. Shoot your tornados from inside the bushes or behind line of sight. I usually run with Flash Clairvoyance. With Flash you can attempt to split enemies with your ult after a teamfight has initiated, although this strat is dicey and leads to awkward positioning for everyone.

Pastrytime

10-25-2010

Have to agree with the one point in tornado, max shield first then max Zephyr skill allocation.

In terms of other advice learning to use Tornado effectively (which includes quick firing it, placement and learning it's distance travelled vs. charged time) is probably the most important thing to master first. After that comes making sure you're using shield effectively (which is basically just a combination of strategic awareness and a bit of micro) and then learn when to nuke with Zephyr. Then combine all those things (i.e. Tornado into Zephyr nukes). Remember that Janna is also team dependent so always ask how you can maximize your play to your teammates style (although you probably already know this being a support player).

Dunno that's all I could really think of, Janna's kinda tricky I think it mostly comes from learning to effectively use Tornado.

sierskan

10-25-2010

The only thing i'm really having problem with regarding Tornado is it's distance, i always underestimate it. I'm good at angles at quickfire but the range always tricks me.

Regarding my place in a teamfight, where should i be ? I often like being the initiator or harasser, but with Janna i'm really confused. You could either stay in semifront being ready to pop Ulti if your teammates should be in trouble, or stand back and throw nado's and shield those who has the most use of it. But i'm really not sure since she's really squishy and vulnerable to CC.

One more question, lategame or late mid game is Lich Bane viable ? I mean you obviously have to autoattack from time to time with your shield up, so is Lich bane a viable choice to keep that up when your shield lies on your teammates instead ?

Edit: I have minimum problem with micro, difficult in teamfights when people are packed up closely in bush etc, but other then that i'm fine.

RagingDonger

10-25-2010

You shine in team fights and at escape and assisting escape. Try to use tornado quick fire style to more serve as a disrupter than a damage dealer. Also, remember irregardless of your teams aggression try to lean more towards a kiting style. Be aggressive but don't be in range unless ulting. I die mainly right in my ult on lesser experienced teams so most times I use the shield immediately prior.

Your role is to protect/boost your carry (shield), disrupt the enemy team esp chanellers (Tornado), Slow/nuke enemy carry (Zephyr), cockblock enemyteam (Ult), Use low-life engaged allies as bait (Shield and ult), 'harass' in a team fights (Normal attacks). Harass mainly pre-arranged priority targets.

As for build aura items are of high benefit to your role. Consider Abyssal sceptre and Will of Ancients. Bypass boots of speed in a more aggressive team line-ups and go for the staying power of merc treads as mainly a stun or slow will be to your demise (Also a lack of mana).

Budsies

10-25-2010

late game lich-bane might be viable, I think because of the movespeed/AP rather than the double damage auto attacks. I have kept my KDA ratio very very high on janna, one of the thing i think you need to understand is that janna has a role that changes as time goes by. In the beginning and middle game Janna is REALLY hard to dmg through her shield and her CC is very scary for other people to get close to you. Take advantage of this by standing in front and farming with auto attacks and harassing. Late game her shield is still very good, but you want to be in the back at all times shielding whoever takes the focus (that person doesnt need to be you). during the end/middle of the game i think to get a stacking item (usually a leviathan) because you can get stacks on it without making yourself vulnerable at all.

think about checking your opponents items/stats also, this will let you be able to evaluate the team fights easily to know who does most dmg, who not to attack, etc. I hope this helps!

Just wanted to add also, i see alot of people who level the shield and tornado first. but sometimes i like to have her Zephyr maxed by level 9, it really surprised me how much damage it does against even leveled enemies. if you can get a kill or two with your slow in the mid/early game it really boosts you into the late game.

Pastrytime

10-25-2010

I never level Tornado past level one until my other skills are maxed, I'm not training the skill to deal damage.