"Meta-Game"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lockethegreat

10-25-2010

So, after reading a thread titled "what is the current metagame" I got reallt frustrated, so I decided to make my own educational post that no one will read because I'm not sly, kama, or elementz!

When discussing a term, its always good to define said term. Meta-Game has a variety of definitions. In and of itself, I believe it means gaming outside the game, or using out of game knowledge or complex knowledge of the game to affect the flow of the game. When I say complex knowledge, I mean having an understanding of game mechanics and statistics. How does this apply to league of legends? Well, when the other team picks twitch, I know that he his stealth, and I know that there are items that will reveal stealth and I need those items. BAM Meta-gaming.

So, people often talk about the "Meta" of the game. People typically say the meta is playing tanky heroes and having to counter them.
Here is the crazy part:

That's only relevant if the game you are in happens to do that. Following my my definition of "Meta-Game," if you see the other team choosing tanky heroes, you should meta-game and use your knowledge to counter them. This might be stacking aspd and bloodrazors, with some casters stacking DFGS. Or it might be countered by also building beefy characters. It could be ANYTHING.

But just because the dominant strategy in this game is currently building tanky, it shouldn't guide how you play, because it WON'T be true every game. I have played PLENTY of games where one team used the strat of turtling to counter the strategy of gank squads. I've seen backdoor strats to counter hard push strategies.

STRATEGIES differ from game to game. META-GAME is what you use to counter or build a strategy. Please make note of this. You use Meta-game to build a strategy, but that doesn't mean that a strategy IS a "meta-game."
It seems as though this community is simply warping meta game to mean strategy, aqnd it really doesn't make sense. Also the pre-dominant "meta," aka strategy, isn't relevant in draft play. It might be good to know for analytical balancing purposes, but it doesn't make sense to allow the dominant strategy to determine your game play.
We saw in the WCG that the dominant strategy can be countered by an entirely different strategy. Clearly just because a strategy is dominant doesnt mean its the best.

Thank you very much, one or two people, for reading this.

Tl;dr:
Meta-gaming is not having a strategy. Metagaming is what you use to build or counter a strategy. Please read the whole post ;-;

SarenArterius

10-25-2010

Relevent

Lockethegreat

10-25-2010

Very relevant and in depth.
>>

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2010

@Mostrecentholierthanthoumetagameknowitall:

Please stop confusing THE metagame with metagaming.

Slash Chaplin

10-25-2010

+1

JoeWilde

10-25-2010

Yeah, i read that post and it annoyed me too. The fact is, a "metagame" comes about because of the current "metagame" and the way to counter it. People blindly follow the meta game and then the people who actually use their own brains figure out a way to defeat them so the current counter to the metagame will probably be kiters and then the counter would be burst dps/ap etc... etc... fact is the player base makes the meta game and then the smarter players will just counter it everytime.

Dizastor

10-15-2011

so which one am I, 1 or 2?

Lonnieep

10-15-2011

Very well written. All the info contained in OP SHOULD be common knowledge. +1