Pure armor/mr rune page good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Manong Pipit

10-25-2010

Are they worth it? So far I only have seals and glyphs.

M4nTiCoR3

10-25-2010

We could use some more details to really help you with this question, but I'll do my best on what you have provided.

I'm assuming your asking if a full page of AR runes or MR runes has any value for certain champs. Typically a full page of any single type of rune is limited to gimmik builds that are only situationally effective. However, some champs have passives/synergies that make full pages somewhat more appealing. Champions like Rammus & Malphite benfit from stacking AR runes, and Galio has some benfit from stacking MR as well.

I personally have a gimmik page I use with Malphite, who is my main. I have +40 AR at level 1, which provides me some inresting advantages/challenges. The biggest advantage of having so much AR at level 1 is that it provides me a lot more flexibility in my early item selection. Most Malphite builds rely on stacking AR and using GS to harrass/farm early in the game. In order to do that effectively you really need to grab some early AR items, which severly limits your selection. Using a full page of AR runes allows you to deiate from the norm a bit and adapt to the enemy.

For example, if my enemy has lots of really stong harrassers who use magic damage skill, I sometimes grab a MR cloak at level 1. This with masteries pushes both my AR and MR high enough to discourage a lot of incoming damage. It is quite funny when thier skill shots at early levels doesnt even break your passive shield. The cloak also builds into several Items i like using later anyways, like Aegis & Merc Treads. I can also adpat to add damage, foot speed for dodging skill shots, mana/regen fro more GS spaming and a host of other things. I am not stuck buying the +AR shirt and 5 pots every game, though when I have a good matchup...starting with close to 100 AR at level 1 is pretty effective as well.

The biggest challenge with this build is you become extreamly item dependant for getting your other buffs. the lack of runes like Magic Pen, which effectivley boosts 3 of your skills, Health which pumps up your passive, and most imtportantly Mana in the form of Mp5, are serious consderations. I have taken to taking clarity or looking at items like Frozen Heart, Manamune and Chalice much more than a traditional Malphite build would.

In all seriousness, full pages of AR/MR runes will rarely be the most effecient way to build a champ, but if you create a build with a plan/theme, and can carry it out, they can provide effective and fun ways to play occasionally.

Bumbah

10-25-2010

Its how i roll when i tank.

IS19c4ee97dafe2b

10-25-2010

Whenever I play tank (gragas, nasus) or beefy DPS (mundo) I take:
1. AP reds
2. AR blues
3. MR yellows
(or the other way around, can't remember which ones are more effective)
4. Life quints

Together with Dorans shield I get some cca 750 health, 50 AR and 50 MR which is quite strong for the startup and can surprise your enemy which does not expect it thus earning you FB more often then not.

Larson McMurphy

10-25-2010

Back when I turned level 20 and I didn't know I needed mana regen and CDR runes as staples I bought a bunch of flat armor seals and flat mag res glyphs. For marks I use magic penetration or armor penetration according to the champ. Anyway, I went with those for a while. I picked up mana regen and CDR runes for seals and glyphs recently and tried them out. Honestly, I got so used to having that extra defense that I found myself dieing early game just from intuitively overestimating how much damage I could take. Having those armor and MR runes affected how I developed my play style I suppose. Anyway, I switched back to using armor and MR and I've been more successful with them than the regen and CDR runes. You gotta have some offense for marks though.

Churchy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Friend of Urf

10-26-2010

Look at it this way:
Armor tapers off as you get more. Above a certain amount and it's nearly useless compared to stacking HP.
Getting 100-150 is around where most carries and mages want to be late game. They generally achieve this with thornmail/banshees/guardian angel in some combination. Having MR/Armor won't be as useful to them because it won't help their crappy early game as much as HP.

Some characters get inherent benefits from armor/magic resist like malph/rammus/galio.

A full MR page gives like 75 MR or something, which is like 40 AP on galio as well. A full armor page should give something similar which is a hefty bit of AD for rammus and a large ground slam bonus for malph.

but they are very gimmicky and I wouldn't use a rune page for it unless I specifically planned on playing those characters for a while and also had enough rune pages to spare