Counter-Meta Team Play; The Trifecta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skraedos

02-24-2012

NOTE: This is a FUN style to play in, this is NOT ranked-play recommended at ALL

I enjoy testing out various methods of play, and I just want some other opinions on these counters to the current meta

Note: These tend to be high-risk play styles, and do depend on successful execution to work properly.

First up is the Trifecta.
The idea behind this game is to absolutely shut down mid or top lane. Send solo champs top and bottom lanes, preferably with high-survivability of course, and stack mid lane with 3 champions.

The 3v1 midlane is held by an AD carry, and then poking champions (EZ, GP). The AD focuses on the farm, the other two zone the mid hard, the goal being to deny exp and farm entirely, which usually works. When minions are pushed, all three focus the tower as much as possible. You'll find mid-lane shut down by mid-game.

Anytime the mid is killed(And if you have out-of-turret-range pokes, this happens often) 2 leave for a gank, usually bot(as he could be 2.5v1), or go jungle-hunting. If the outer tower is already down, all three can go for a gank, then down the tower. If mid-lane and one other lane have been successfully beaten, focus the second tower on either top or mid. The goal will be to reach the base and move into an early team-phase.

The Trifecta play is intended to basically seal the victory before you ever enter the late-game. Your key events are; Denying midlane exp and feed, Defeating both mid turrets by mid-game, ganking often, wait for surrender.

This play style is fun, but you risk a lot;

Solo bot could find himself 2v1 and ganked by jungler.
If you enter late-game, you could find your team underleveled/underfed.(At least their mid is too )
If mid -somehow- maintains feed and exp, you failed entirely. Very unlikely.
If you fail to drop towers, you failed entirely.
You have no jungle or support! O:

I suggest everyone at least attempt the playstyle, just for the pure fun of it. It's also interesting to see how people try to defend against this, sometimes they will not adjust at all. Obviously, having early-game dominators is a good idea, and very good poke is a MUST. I recommend having a few Auras and lots of stuns/cc.

Now I'm curious as to any criticism or team-comps people come up with. Or maybe how you would counter it?

EDITs;

-For the midlanes, it seems the under-leveled mids seems to scare people off. However, if the two extra mids can semi-jungle, and push enough to possibly steal some of their jungle(And I think its perfectly reasonable to think one of the mids could steal Wraiths fairly often), I think you can gain enough exp to stay viable throughout the match. Especially if Top and Bottom lanes see neglect due to focus on supporting mid.

R4wkstar

02-24-2012

In the standard meta, I think the best counters to this kind of strat would be to get a tanky mage to go mid. I could see Swain, Cho, Vlad, or even Kennen holding out against that type of stacking. Even your AD in mid is going to be seriously underleveled, though well farmed. It seems like if your extra mids dove into the jungle while their mid is gone, there's a better chance of them making it past the 20 minute mark in some form of viability. Honestly, this reminds me more of the old meta where everyone solos, you have a jungler and a roamer. In this case, they are just more focused on the mid than other lanes. The biggest strength I see is actually the free farm for the mid. A newer player could farm up an AD with no issue and then be viable/dominant late game, whereas they might struggle in a duo bot lane.

I always like to see outside-the-box-thinking, and think there may be some degree of merit to this strat going forward. It just needs a better way for the pokers to get some levels and gold, too.

Mastergamer2k5

02-24-2012

It's a troll idea. It's countered by sending a strong sustain to mid while everyone else farms themselves into late game. The jungler will gank top/bottom lane, quickly push those towers down, then the team will fall in on mid with a significant gold and level advantage.

I could see this working against noobs by scaring them into making mistakes, but any experienced team will exploit your weaknesses.

Magic CXIII

02-24-2012

srsly lol? if you get to late game you are going to lose no matter what and most likely they are just gonna 5 man bank your faces mid cause you are sitting ducks.

Trauma2o9

02-24-2012

We just finished playing this game. Me and 4 other friends. We did Cho top solo, Talon bot solo, and Cait, Lux, and Nidalee middle.

They had a jungle Shyvanna and she frequently stood middle and when the 2 extras we had middle went anywhere else, Shy was quickly there. It didn't stop anything though. We had the 3 outer towers down within 15 minutes.
We also got the inner towers down before 30 minutes. We were team fighting most of the time. I enjoyed that part the most because I find laning phase monotonous and mostly boring. This way we jumped right into team fights.
They came up to middle to gank frequently but beginning game it rarely worked.
Mid got underleveled, but since their team was focusing on trying to support middle, our top and bottom solos found themselves able to be more aggressive.

Trauma2o9

02-24-2012

Over all, we had a TON of fun playing this way and are starting another game of it right now =]

Afraa

02-24-2012

better to just send two mid and have your jungler focus on ganking mid

it can have the same effect with the correct champs but your not completely gimping your xp and wasting your jungle

Sokolniki

02-24-2012

I was thinking, could you use a support jungle runed/specced Anivia working on leveling her W 2 or 3 times and grabbing Wraiths, wolves and blue any time they are up and putting pressure on mid when they are down or when the mid comes out from their turret. Using her W to get some control on your own minion waves if they use the turret to supplement the wall to a degree... for example, W a wave in two so that even though your AD Carry mid is last hitting but their mid is not, your wave still goes down faster because their entire wave focused down the first 2 melee minions while the rest of the minions were still trying to get around a wall... thereby creating an unusual situation in that while your mid is the only one getting any farm, the minions are actually being pushed to your own tower.

Skraedos

02-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGoop View Post
Over all, we had a TON of fun playing this way and are starting another game of it right now =]
That alone makes me glad I posted, and is exactly why I did. I'm glad you had fun and great job!

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2012

Had something like this happen. It was the dumbest game I ever won. Went solo top Irelia and shut down Singed super hard. Had Brand and Ahri mid and Vayne solo bot. Their support went to mid and both junglers were constantly fighting mid. They never came top I owned farm then pulled a quick defeat when we all pushed. So dumb