Install to USB

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

h4rdcor3

12-01-2009

Is it possible to install LoL to a flash drive?

I see a lot of people copy their W3 to a flash drive and play in the labs here at school and was wondering if it can be done for LoL. Haven't tried installing it yet but it would be nice to have.

Edit: Installing directly to a flash drive now. Going very slowly. If this doesn't work I will try copying the game files over

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

12-01-2009
1 of 2 Riot Posts

You should be able to transfer the game to a new computer using a flash drive, but you probably won't be able to update that game on a computer that you didn't install LoL on. So if there's a new patch out, you'll have to go home, update the game, and copy the entire folder back on to the USB to keep playing the game.

h4rdcor3

12-01-2009

Well, right now I selected the install location to the flash drive and it completed and is now updating. the update is taking a long time due to slow usb transfer speeds but I'll keep the thread updated.

Just finished updating and was able to log in just fine. Next test: Taking the flash drive home and seeing just how well Riot coded the installer =P.

Lets see if they hardcoded the drive letter into anything.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

12-01-2009
2 of 2 Riot Posts

There are files that are specific to the Windows user that installed and updated the game that I'm not sure will be transferred with the flash drive install. I've actually been trying to break the launcher all day today messing around with those settings, so I'm excited to see what you run in to.

h4rdcor3

12-01-2009

I was able to launch and login to the game on my home computer. But Air had to do a few quick updates. I don't know why Air had to update. At school the installer said everything was updated. But I was able to login just fine after that.

Still haven't tried playing a game with it yet

EDIT: finished a game. every once and a while the game would stutter but other than that things went pretty well

EDIT: Tried the flash drive on a machine that hasn't had LoL installed. I had to run the Adobe Air Installer that is in the LoL root directory but that was almost instant and the game was logged in fine.

EDIT: Next task is to try to play on a lab machine at school that doesn't allow you to install applications. If that works I don't know what other scenario wouldn't

h4rdcor3

12-02-2009

Recap:
12/1 Installed League of Legends to a flash drive on an XP computer.
Initially updated on same XP computer

12/1 Launched on a Windows 7 computer that had LoL on it

12/1 Launched on a Windows 7 computer that did not have LoL on it.
Had to run AdobeAIRInstaller.exe from the League of Legends directory

12/2, Updated to v1.0.0.61 on a XP machine that has a very old version of Air and LoL on it
Unable to launch because the servers are not up yet (glares at Pendragon)

NEED TO TEST
update to 1.0.0.61 on a XP computer that does not have LoL installed on it
update to 1.0.0.61 on a XP computer that does not allow installs and has not has LoL on it
update to 1.0.0.61 on a 7 Computer that does not have LoL installed on it

Any other scenarios that you would like to see tested let me know

Alenael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2009

Installing it to a USB isn't a very good idea to begin with. You will notice dramatically slower load times and most likely more lag when moving around the field. Simply because USB devices can not load data as quickly as your HDD could into your Ram.

It should work fine on any computer (Considering proper OS) with Adobe Air installed onto it. I don't recall noticing any registry keys the game makes or separate files so it should work perfectly. Nice job with the testing though I am sure someone out there will make use of this topic.

h4rdcor3

12-02-2009

even though load times will be slightly longer theoretically there shouldn't be anything that is loaded after the initial load. When I played off of the drive there were some slight jumps but nothing seriously gamebreaking.

My thought is, find a random lab at school between classes and load up a game, if the lab machines can handle it. At Iowa State University there are a ton of kids that will raid a lab to play DotA. I want to raid their normal lab with LoL sometime.

Arcanist

07-01-2010

Do i have to move the installer to a computer that doesn't already have LoL installed so I can put it on a USB? It just comes up with repair, modify and remove.

IS19ca7bc0d17fb24a88910

07-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4rdcor3 View Post
even though load times will be slightly longer theoretically there shouldn't be anything that is loaded after the initial load. When I played off of the drive there were some slight jumps but nothing seriously gamebreaking.

My thought is, find a random lab at school between classes and load up a game, if the lab machines can handle it. At Iowa State University there are a ton of kids that will raid a lab to play DotA. I want to raid their normal lab with LoL sometime.
so have you completed your lab raid? i am in a same situation like you where i have to raid labs to play. But i am wondering if i can able play LOL from my USB or not?