Can You Fall Down A Division? (Rank System)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LetsDineTogether

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

I was wondering, so if you get promoted, is it possible to be demoted? you know down to your old division. i am just curious

I also want to know what happens if you fail your promotion, do you have to win 100 more points?

Blackfire447

02-01-2013

Not Division, but tier yes.

BruisingPrune

02-01-2013

You can fall down divisions, but not tiers

Isaelia

02-01-2013

I believe it's possible to be demoted to another division but not to another tier... -- the specifics of this I'm looking for, also.

Dirtyund3rwear

02-01-2013

You can get demoted from your current tier IF you do not play any games for quite sometime about 3 months or so.

Otherwise you can drop divisions with enough losses

Nasdrovia499

02-01-2013

Sometimes I wonder if people even try to read announcements.

Tiers are the old badges : Challenger, Diamond...... Bronze. There are 5 divisions in each tier (from I being the best to V being the worst) except for challenger.

You can go up a division by getting 100 LP and winning a bo3.

You can go up a tier by getting 100 LP on Division 1 of your tier, then winning a bo5.

You can go down a division by being at 0 LP in your division (between I and IV) and losing several games.

You can't go down a tier (from gold to silver for instance), even if you're the lowest player in Division V and lose several games.
EDIT : you can actually go down a tier in the event you do not play for 28 days straight.

doombrine

02-01-2013

i think going down a tier after 28 days of not playing is this system's version of elo decay

GENTLEWORM

02-01-2013

Do you guys mean 28 days without ranked game?

asianhair123

Recruiter

06-11-2013

Guys any tips im in bronze 3 with 0 LP. I just enjoy and have fun during my ranked games and end up losing. Any tips on how to win games?

DreadyTheYeti

06-11-2013

YOU CAN DROP A TIER. It happened to me. I was in SIlver, I took a break for the game, so Riot punished me. I came back and am now in Bronze 1. I found it ridiculous, you should drop tiers due to losing, not due to NOT playing. Sure, take my LP, drop me to the bottom of my tier, but don't make me drop actual tiers just because I took a break.

If you want to read about it, Riot addresses this in the "Competitive" - "Season 3 FAQ" - "What if I don't play" or something...anyways, here is a direct quote:

After 28 days of inactivity in a particular ranked queue, a couple things will happen. First, you’ll be hidden from the standings in your League, and you may lose League Points depending on your current tier. Every seven days thereafter, you’ll lose League Points again until you play a match in that queue.

The number of League Points lost following each period of decay is as follows:

Diamond: 50
Platinum: 35
Gold: 25
Silver: 10
Bronze: 0

If you fall below zero League Points as a result of decay, you’ll be placed into the next lowest division. If you’re already in Division V of your league, you’ll fall into a new league in the next tier down. This is currently the only way to get demoted to a lower tier.