@Classick/Morello: An In-Depth Analysis of Rengar (With Suggestions)

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nocturnes

01-30-2013

Good day Riot staff,

If any of you have been perusing the forums lately, you might have stumbled across my previous Rengar-related thread (seen here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3030989). I'll admit entirely that this thread was written in a less than mature manner and generally, I wouldn't consider it as something to be taken all that seriously but in review, and noticing the support garnered, I did wholly appreciate the statements said by various other members of the community and thought I'd take some time to do an in-depth, serious analysis of where I think Rengar stands at this point in time. Included as well, based upon personal experience with the champion since his release, are some suggestions that I've come up with (of course to be taken with a grain of salt) on how to improve him, of course not to his true former glorly, so as to be at least in part a remnant of what once was.

So what is Rengar supposed to be exactly? Rengar, as per Phreak's champion spotlight, is labelled as an assassin/fighter hybrid however since the plethora of nerfs Rengar's received, it's truly up in the air as to which role he's actually supposed to fulfill. His Savagery and Thrill of the Hunt lean towards an assassin, hunter-like role but the attack speed of his Savagery, his Battle Roar, Bola Strike, and additionally the initiating component of his Thrill of the Hunt lend themselves towards labeling him an initiator and sustained bruiser. Quite frankly, I think this is generally where the problem begins. There simply isn't any sort of direction that Rengar players have to take with him. His kit seems pseudo-balanced for both roles but counter-intuitively hinders him when built in either fashion. My suggestion here, to begin with, is to consider his lore-based rivalry with the pure assassin Kha'Zix. Being that Kha'Zix is designed as a dive in, get the kill, and dive out sort-of champion, I think it best to readjust Rengar so that he's a bruiser primarily but enabling him some slight burst damage with his Empowered Savagery so as to keep that "surprise factor" present.

Thus, with a bruiser mindset in mind, let's take a look at his base stats shall we? (I'll be comparing them to his nemesis, Kha'Zix, and another favourite of mine, if not a controversial champion, Darius):

Rengar's Base Statistics:
Health: 435 (+85)
H. Regen: 4.0 (+0.4)
Ferocity: 5
Auto-Range: 125
Attack Damage: 55 (+3)
Attack Speed: 0.679 (+2.85%)
Armour: 16 (+3.5)
Magic Resistance: 30 (+1.25)
Movement Speed: 345

Darius' Base Statistics:
Health: 426 (+93)
H. Regen: 8.25 (+0.95)
Mana: 200 (+37.5)
Mana Regen: 6 (+0.35)
Auto-Range: 125
Attack Damage: 50 (+3.5)
Attack Speed: 0.679 (+2.6%)
Armour: 20 (+3.5)
Movement Speed: 340

Kha'Zix's Base Statistics:
Health: 430 (+85)
H. Regen: 6.25 (+0.75)
Mana: 260 (+40)
Mana Regen: 6.75 (+0.5)
Auto-Range: 125 (175 with evolved claws)
Attack Damage: 50 (+3.1)
Attack Speed: 0.665 (+2.7%)
Armour: 15 (+3)
Movement Speed: 350

Whilst the majority of their statistics are comparable, there are two areas in which I think a bruiser-oriented Rengar needs a bit of help (which I've underlined accordingly). His natural health regeneration is abysmal and was never readjusted after the nerfs to his Empowered Battle Roar's healing component. Such a low regenerative value and scaling effectively means that as a Rengar player, you almost always need to either itemize heavily for life-steal or make use of the Empowered Battle Cry because of the fact that it's the only way to sustain oneself against one's opposition. It's without question that this value should be reverted back to what it was on release, as after all even Yorick, a champion known for being a brick wall in top lane with his ghoul sustain, has a base health regeneration of 8.5 with a level-scaling increase of 0.70 per level. Additionally, while not as great of an issue per say, I do think that for a more bruiser-oriented champion that Rengar's base armour should be increased to 18 (+3.5) rather than 16 (+3.5) so as to simply give him that slight nudge towards having bruiser stats. This likewise helps those wishing to jungle with him as every little bit of armour counts towards keeping oneself alive.

With stats out of the way, let's delve into his abilities:

Unseen Predator is a unique passive, not shared by any other champion in the game (as no other champion can bush-hop nor makes use of the Ferocity mechanic). As a stand alone ability, I think his passive is perfectly fine and meshes well with his predatory-esque persona.

Savagery on the other hand is Rengar's effectual bread and butter technique. You generally max this ability first if you're laning with him and either first or second if you're jungling, depending upon personal preference. As an auto-attack modifier, it does a respectable job of giving Rengar some trading potential in top lane as well as allowing for him to deal burst-oriented, hit and run attacks on champions once capable of empowerment. However, I feel as if this ability is quite limited as the game progresses. Originally, the ability was clearly too strong in lane because of the fact that Rengar could quickly annihilate someone with its empowered form at level one or two because of its 250% attack damage scaling but ironically, it was this scaling that allowed for the ability to remain noticeable come late-game (outside of glass cannon builds). With the nerfs to it however, while it became more balanced in the laning scenario, its late game scaling issues really limited Rengar's ability to deal damage towards his intended target because as aforementioned, it is arguably his only pure, damage-oriented, technique.

To help give a bruiser-oriented Rengar a bit of power come the later stages of the game with respect to his Savagery, but to avoid breaking him during the laning phase, my suggestion here for improvement is to have the ability's scaling increase on a level by level basis. That is to say, have the ability as level one start with an empowered scaling of 200% of his original attack damage, but have it increase by 10% per level up to its original scaling at rank five. This would keep Rengar's laning phase in line but additionally helps Rengar's main damage ability scale into the late game more effectively with a variety of builds, contrary to having just one that's arguably akin to a glass cannon.

Rengar's Battle Roar is an amusing ability that I, personally, think requires the most in terms of changes. Originally, this ability provided Rengar with a huge quantity of resistances and at the same time, dealt an impressive amount of damage whilst the empowered form even gave him a sizable heal. It was simply too much combined, that I'll agree with. What I don't agree with however was the nerfing of every aspect of it. Its damage at maximum rank over the course of the many patches was reduced by 85 (170 if used twice in succession), the heal was capped to a level by level basis, and the resistances were adjusted so that he lost a total of 17 armour and magic resistance at max rank (a weird value if anything). As it stands now, to lane with Rengar, you cannot max this ability first because then you cannot trade with respect to damage, but its empowered form almost always has to be used because otherwise you again, simply cannot compete with any of the other top laners in the game outside of the rare occurrences of attaining a monstrous lead and snowballing the game from there (which arguably any champion could do with greater success). To make matters worse, though this is subjective, the ability deals magic damage and scales off of ability power, neither of which Rengar players typically itemize for anymore (AP Rengar was a rather amusing venture on release). Put simply, the ability just seems weak and a hindrance more than anything else.

My suggestions to improve Rengar's Battle Roar come two-fold. In order to give Rengar more staying power in lane and allow for greater variety when it comes to making use of his Ferocity, I think it would be a neat effect to take Garen's old Courage passive and apply it to Battle Roar. That is to say, for each unit killed, Rengar gains 1 point of armour and magic resistance up to a cap of 25 at which point, activating Battle Roar and striking an opposing target with it would double whatever value you've achieved by that point in time (up to a maximum of 50). Whilst similar to his Battle Roar now, this alleviates the need to max his Battle Roar first in order to simply be able to stay in lane because of the need for the resistance boost and rewards Rengar players that farm successfully by then providing him with early resistances that allow for an aggressive approach towards his laning phase and a more aggressive build path to help keep up with the likes of Darius, Elise, Jayce, etc... champions in effect that have power-oriented kits that lend well towards diving in and out of combat in a crushing manner.

Additionally, in order to avoid spiraling Rengar out of control in lane, the second adjustment to Battle Roar would be to swap the magic damage component to physical damage but increase its base damage value by 30 at all ranks and adjust the scaling to +0.5 per bonus attack damage. Whilst this would effectively kill ability power Rengar (unless dual scaling was to be implemented), making the ability deal physical damage would sync up better with the build direction that a bruiser-oriented Rengar would optimally take whilst also making it easier for the opposition to counter Rengar as he or she now needs only itemize for armour, rather than both armour and magic resistance. These changes, I believe, would turn Battle Roar into a desirably ability rather than just a healing crutch and/or an ability used solely to gain Ferocity. Food for thought at least, right?

Rengar's Bola Strike, I think, is nearly perfect the way it is. The only thing I'd like to see, and this is nitpicking, is to have the range increased ever so slightly (that is to say, increased from 575 to 600) so that Rengar players have a bit more counterplay against ranged champions and/or champions akin to Darius that, in essence, can simply pull you in and neuter you each time you attempt to throw the bola at him.

Finally, Thrill of the Hunt. This ability, as it stands now, is a glorified gap-closer that arguably acts as Rengar's only initiation in a major team-fight since many fights occur in areas where access to brush isn't as readily available as it is for the smaller skirmishes that occur in the jungle, for example, in the earlier stages of the game. Namely, the issues with said ability, akin to his Battle Roar, come two-fold. The first issue is its lengthy cooldown. Considering the fact that the ability, in and of itself, is arguably only a utility-based ability, it seems rather outlandish to have its cooldown (especially early-on) comparable to the likes of Amumu, who can in essence lock an entire team down with his ultimate. Thus, I think lowering the cooldown ever so slightly to, for instance, 120/90/60 (a reduction of 20, 15, and 10 seconds respectively per rank) would yield Rengar players more apt utilization of their ultimate considering how imperative it is for success.

Secondly, the greatest comparison Thrill of the Hunt has, with regards to other abilities in the game, is to Twitch's Ambush, which stealths him after 1.25 seconds up to a maximum of 3 seconds if he's taking damage. Sound familiar? Well it should, because Rengar's stealths him after 1 second up to a maximum of 3 should he be taking damage. Frankly, this seems rather comical considering the fact that Twitch is a ranged, attack damage carry who will invariably out-damage Rengar by a long shot come late-game and the fact that he has as well an AoE slow built into his kit, it seems senseless to have a champion that literally has no way out once he's in, to be given a near identical limitation. Put simply, I think the stealth delay should be reduced to either 0.5 seconds or 0.75 seconds up to a cap of 1.5 seconds if he's taking damage. This would in turn still provide counterplay to Rengar simply disappearing mid-fight, but wouldn't punish Rengar players to the same extent for trying to make use of their ultimate in a gank-situation or in a team-fight that's already underway.

--------------------------------------------
To those who've made it all the way through this thread, I truly applaud you for your patience and do appreciate it greatly. As a child, my mother (being Latvian in nature) nicknamed me "lauva", which means lion and as such does Rengar hold a special place within my champion roster. It pains me greatly to see the predator in the state that he is in now and it is my hope, regardless of whether or not anything I've said above is taken seriously, that somewhere down the road he'll receives the buffs that he deserves to shine once more.

Tl;dr: Buffing Rengar is a tricky process and cannot be summarized easily. If you truly care, simply take the time to read the post in its entirety.
However, for the truly lazy, here's a summary of what I had in mind (note that these are merely suggestions for each individual ability respectively and are not necessarily meant to be implemented all at once):

- Rengar's base health regeneration is increased to 8 (+0.8) from 4 (+0.4) and his base armour is increased to 18 (+3.5) from 16 (+3.5)
- Empowered Savagery now has its ratio scale per level, from 200% of Rengar's attack damage at level one to 250% of Rengar's attack damage at level 5
- Battle Roar now passively increases Rengar's armour and magic resistance by 1 for every slain opponent (monster, minion, or champion) up to a cap of 25. Striking an opponent with Battle Roar doubles the current bonus for the three seconds that it's active. Damage is increased by 30 at all ranks, is swapped to become physical damage and now scales at +0.5 bonus attack damage. Heal remains unchanged.
- Bola Strike's range is increased from 575 to 600.
- Thrill of the Hunt's cooldown is now 120/90/60, down from 140/105/70. Stealth delay is also reduced to 0.5 (or 0.75) seconds and can be extended up to a cap of 1.5 seconds if taking damage.

Regards,
Nocturnes

EDIT: If you agree, perchance not with my ideas, but just with regards to the perception of improving Rengar, please bump this thread so that more support and a better discussion can be had overall.

--------------------------------------------
Riot Bait:
Classick
Morello
Statikk
Xypherous
CertainlyT
Griftrix
Ezreal
FeralPony
Volty
Coronach

Grockk

01-30-2013

Wow. Darius is OP in so many ways. Nerf Darius.

KotlettDrake

01-30-2013

good read. They could probably copy paste these changes to Rengar and he would be fine. but alas it will probably take riot 4-6 months for any changes. I also submitted this to reddit to hopefully get more attention.

Onioncart

01-30-2013

bump, even if you don't agree with the fixes the problems he points out have sound evidence.

MephyRunsAllDay

01-30-2013

I'm bumping for ya, but I don't agree with a thing...
too many things at once. change a bit here, change a bit there... not all of his kit all of sudden, it would become League of Rengar once again

Nocturnes

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato of War View Post
too many things at once. change a bit here, change a bit there... not all of his kit all of sudden, it would become League of Rengar once again
Whether you agree or disagree, the important part is the discussion that we can have as a community so as to at least address Rengar as a whole, rather than leaving him to rot behind new releases and other remakes

KotlettDrake

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato of War View Post
agreed. Maybe half and then see what happens

Riftic

01-30-2013

This is a very good analysis.
+1

KotlettDrake

01-30-2013

Morello i summon thee

Nocturnes

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riftic View Post
This is a very good analysis.
+1
Thank you kindly. A great deal of time was spent writing this to make sure it was as clear as possible

12345 ... 8