Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jungle malphite 101: BOOM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoSu Liquid

10-23-2010

So, Im going to start off with the fact that I belive malphite to be one of the best junglers in the game. Between your E, your W, and your ability to actually contribute to team fights makes him an incredible champ, who really shines while jungling. I constantly find myself out CSing jungle ww's, beating every other jungler in 1v1 situations, and consitently helping my team with my utility: Your ult + E + ranudins is essentially an insta gib.
Although, yes,most other junglers can stay in the jungle much longer than malphite can, are better at soloing dragon, baron, among other things. However, I find that the reason malphite really takes the cake is because of his overall ability to do essentialy everything: Jungle, tank, dps, support, intiate, and disable. This is what makes him the best jungler in my eyes, and why hes a personal favourite.

So, lets begin with Jungle Malphite 101: BOOM!

1. Runes
I personally take Flat HP quints, HP per level seals, CDR glyphs. And flat hp Marks. I take the HP runes because you will be able to stay in the jungle for very huge amounts of time the higher your base hp is. Your passive and the fact that you have more overall hp helps incredibly.
The CDR glyphs help you get your E off CD faster and help you jungle more efficently. And with them your ult will almost always be up for a teamfight.

2.Masteries
For masteries I take 0/21/9.
Defensive:
3 in Hardiness
2 in preservation
4 in evasion
1 in nimbleness
2 in defensive mastery
3 in harden skin
4 in vetreans scars
1 in ardor
1 in teancity
Utility:
3 in Perservence
1 in improved ghost
4 in awareness
1 in utility mastery
The reasons for me picking these should be obvious, overall they help you jungle well and they should also be useful late game.

Summoner spells:
I usually pick smite and ghost. However, if you feel like you might need another spell to help your team counter the nemys comp, I will pick exhaust, heal, etc. etc. To benefit my team as a whole.

Abilites

Granite Shield. This ability will will be what keeps you in the jungle for such long amounts of time Combined with your E. On top of that, If you have to lane, teamfight, or gank, this will protect you from any harassment, focusing, or turetts!(For a short time of course)
Description: Malphite is shielded by a layer of rock which absorbs damage up to 10% of his maximum health. If he has not been hit for 8 seconds, this effect recharges.

Seismic Shard: This will be your chase ability during ganks and is an incredibly versatile and helpful skill, It will help you dish out dps, catch, get speed back (Exhaust is now no longer effective!!) and a plethurea of other things if you're imaginative; Which is encouraged for this build.
Description: Using his primal elemental magic, Malphite sends a shard of the earth through the ground at his foe, dealing damage upon impact and stealing movement speed for 4 seconds.

Brutal Spikes: This will be your second source of damage while jungling and provides to be extremly mana efficent and a very good spell if left at level one, giving extra survivability and damage. You should make sure to pop it before each camp, pushing towers, and at the beggining of teamfights.
Description:
Passive: Malphite's attacks hit splash for a percentage of his attack damage.
Active: Increase Malphite's armor and damage for 6 seconds.

Ground Slam: Your bread and butter skill. This is what you will max first, it will be your main damage out put, and its utility is very nice- It helps you survive in the jungle, dish out large amounts of damage with armor, lower a carrys dps, and if you're good with it, to lasthit/harass in a lane.
Description: Malphite slams the ground sending out a shock wave that deals magic damage based on his armor and reduces the attack speed of enemies for 4 seconds.

Unstoppable Force: This is what wins games! Between flying through FoW, walls, intiating, chasing, and on the rare ocassion dragon and baron stealing, I find this ability to be incredibly versatile and a well utilized malphite ult can in some instances be game breaking. Basiclly, you press R at the right time, you win.
Description: Malphite ferociously charges to a location, damaging enemies in a small range and knocking them into the air. Malphite cannot be stunned during his charge.

Order:
E W E Q(For ganks if you need to) E R E Q E W R Q Q Q W R W W

Item build
One thing you should understand while playing malphite is he is a very versatile champion. And because of that you should ALWAYS Go with items that counter the enemy teams composition. There is only one core item here that you need to get every game: Ranudins. Other than ranudins your items should be situatinoal: (With one exception maybe being Aegis, it really depends on your playstyle, I almost always end up getting it) If they have lots of dps, the obvious choice is stacked armor (One of my favourites is stacked SF's, lol), If they have lots of CC and magic damage, I usually roll ranudins, merc treads, banshees veil, aegis Etc. Its up to you: Make your own choices here. You're going to have to if you want to play malphite like a beast. My usual item builds progress as follows:
Cloth armor
x5 hp pots
armor > Heart of gold
tier 1 boots
Wardens mail
Heart of gold + wardens >Ranudins
tier 2 boots (These should always be either ninja tabi or merc treads, nothing else. The choice is up to you and completley situatinoal.)
If they're going DPS: Thornmail, forzen heart, then stacked sunfire capes. (And perhaps an Aegis, though If they're mostly dps champs I leave this one out, My team usualy is fine)
If they're going Magic: Banshees veil, Aegis, armor + helath items, and maybe a frozen heart.

Gameplay: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT 999 MPH ROCK THAT JUST FLEW AT ME?
This is where the real fun begins. The actual gameplay. Again, my items I start out with are x5 health pots and cloth armor. I immediatly go to golem spawn.
Now, when golem spawns, position yourself between the golem and the two lizards: This should gaurntee that you kill the little guys within four spells. auto attack golem, e, and pop an hp pot as soon as your passive is down. Then, spam E. Around the fourth-fifth E golem should be at 500hp or so, smite it. Level up, get a point into w. Pop another hp pot and wait for your passive to be up again. Then once the hp pots 3/4 of the way done healing you, W then autoattack the big wolf, then spam E.
Go to wraiths. You shouldnt need an hp pot. Same as wolves, W as soon as passives up and spam E. Target the big one (The littles should die one hit after big one is down) At level three get another point into E. hp pot, wait until 3/4 hp, pop w, position yourself in between lizard and smaller ones, spam E. At about 650 hp, smite the lizard. Pop hp pot, get mini golems. same deal as what you have been doing: Passive, W, E. After golems go get wolves (And if you can, sometimes you cant, wraiths again. And on occasion I find myself staying in the jungle long enough to takemini golems again AND steal their blue- But this is highly discoureaged and dangerous.) B And grab a heart of gold, and if you have enough some boots and hp pots (Maybe a ward if they have a jungler, ward dragon). All you have to do is repeat this for a while, when you hit six, try to gank: Your ult with red and Q is pretty much an insta kill. beyond this point I cant really give you any accurate details on how to jungle, just pick up red and blue as much as possible, ward, cover lanes for teammates, gank when needed, all that good stuff.

Teamfights
Try to intiate team fights if your team dosent have a better intiator: Press w, Ult in, Press E, hit 1 for randuins, then Q And auto attack + E the **** out of their squishys (You'll be suprised at the damage you do.) Try to use your ult to the fullest, along with your other abilites, and make good decisions for the team: Positioning with a malph as intiator is incredibly important, Just like wards, buffs, etc. etc. Not many people realise this. However, If one of your teammates has an aoe nuke / disable its usually best to let the intiate (Galio, Amumu) and wait until their disable is about to wear off- Then ult the entire team for another good 1.5 second stun.

Always rember that for this guide im asuming that you're level 30, with tier 3 runes- You'll need them. And its always a good idea to make sure that in lower elos your allies can handle a double solo lane, and you should always assume the enemies are going to gank you at the start of the jungle- Its almost always a good idea to have a couple of your allies near you around when golem spawns to make sure that if you are ganked, you can turn it around (But try not to let your allies take the exp away from your kills if they stay too long). And I've found it is usually benefical to not go after golem until all lanes are confirmed: One (Or two top if you're lower elo), one mid, two bot, unless, of course, they have a jungler.
So, thats it for my guide on Jungle Malphite: Ill probably fixing typos and adding things as I get better with him. I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have any suggestions, let me know- Im feeling like ive forgotten something.

Time2KiII

10-28-2010

Helped me to at least know how to start.
Runes & Masteries wasnt that benefiting for me.
Overall +1

Gojira Scorn

10-28-2010

Quote:
Chaoticwolf:
So, Im going to start off with the fact that I belive malphite to be one of the best junglers in the game.

Awesome guide +1.

However, I find the above claim funny. Everyone starts their jungle guide with this sentence.
Olaf is the best, Shen is the best, Akali is the best, WW is the best, Rammus is the best, etc....

GoSu Liquid

11-02-2010

Quote:
Gojira Scorn:
Awesome guide +1.

However, I find the above claim funny. Everyone starts their jungle guide with this sentence.
Olaf is the best, Shen is the best, Akali is the best, WW is the best, Rammus is the best, etc....

Thanks for the +1, and yeah, you're right. :P But thanks for the feedback.

GoSu Liquid

11-02-2010

Quote:
Time2KiII:
Helped me to at least know how to start.
Runes & Masteries wasnt that benefiting for me.
Overall +1

If you want to let me know what you take for runes/masteries, it'd be appreciated, if they dont work as well i'd love to know!

Zargonzo

11-02-2010

fantastic guide.

Although, I just want to ask why one would need to jungle while playing Malphite.

I look at jungling as a way for champions who are weak early game to not have to worry about the pvp aspect, until they are viable. All the while, having a great 2v1 champion, such as a malphite, Mundo, GangPlank or Yi to lvl up quickly.

In my opinion, Malphite is viable early game and has no need for jungling, like Amumu, Warwick and so on.

again, great guide.

Amaterasuomikami

11-02-2010

Quote:
Chaoticwolf:

Teamfights
Try to intiate team fights if your team dosent have a better intiator

In my personal opinion Malhpite is the whos-who in initiation, its his strongest suit. There is hardly a character in the game that matches Unstoppable Force for an Initiation.

Malph should amost always be initiating

Also, fantastic guide I just wanted to point out that one opinion of my own

Also the point to this i think, is having a jungler. Should you be jungling Malphite with an Olaf, WW or similar on your team? Prob not. If you dont have one though, Malphite can easily step in and fill their shoes

hu4rollz

11-02-2010

Quote:

I personally take Flat HP quints, HP per level seals, CDR glyphs. And flat hp Marks. I take the HP runes because you will be able to stay in the jungle for very huge amounts of time the higher your base hp is. Your passive and the fact that you have more overall hp helps incredibly.

If one of your goals with runes is to maximize jungle staying power, you are seriously missing out on armor seals. They also adds to your E damage and make potions go further. I feel it is obviously the best choice for seals.

Mal's passive is helped equally by all survivability increases, not just health.

malphismia

11-02-2010

I see you stack HP runes to increase your granite shield and survivability.

But have you thought of stacking Armor runes to increase your ground slam damage and survivability.

P.S. you have no mana regeneration

GoSu Liquid

11-04-2010

Quote:
MatadorRED:
I see you stack HP runes to increase your granite shield and survivability.

But have you thought of stacking Armor runes to increase your ground slam damage and survivability.

P.S. you have no mana regeneration

Yes I have, but the reason I take HP is because I try t focus on all phases of the game- Not just early jungle. I find HP to be a more rounded and better rune choice than armor. Although I suppose I have no more incredibly logical reason for taking Hp over armor, I have just found from personal experience that for some reason it works better. And I almsot never find myself oom, so mana regen isnt really a huge problem.