Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

ADC Jayce is really strong in Season 3.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

e Zinc

01-29-2013

well I made this thread just to discuss viability. riot please don't touch jayce he is good as he is, he is not "OP" but rather a counterpick to the current squishy adc bot meta.

Either that or it is because I am in low elo. Think about it: Jayce's W gives him free 2.5 atck speed, with 70% / 85% / 100% / 115% / 130% scaling on each auto. Infinity Edge gives him 250% damage on crits.

That's not the reason I think Jayce is strong though, it was just a cool afterthought.

Anyway, since the beginning of pre-season 3, I feel like Jayce is EXTREMELY strong bottom lane. I don't know what riot did to adcs, but their earlygame/midgame is now terrible compared to Jayce.
EDIT: Maybe it is how riot changed how adc's autoattack? I feel like they are really sluggish and do no damage earlygame now, I have no idea why but I will delve into patchnotes.

Here are a list of some things off the top of my head that Jayce does better than any ADC:

• (REALLY REALLY BIG DEAL) ADCs rely on autoattacks earlygame to do damage, and generally have abysmally low attack speeds. Jayce on the other hand can burst them down with abilities AND autoattacks in between, effectively giving him much better damage:time ratios than any other adc. I could see Ezreal maybe matching up to Jayce's sustained damage over time because of his spammable Q, but Jayce still does much much more.
  • Better earlygame burst since he has three abilities at level one, five abilities at level two, and seven abilities at level four! (I max Q)
  • Better earlygame tankiness, you get free MR/armor with hammer form as well as base health/defense anyway
  • Better earlygame trades, if you and the other adc just stand near each other and autoattack you will do more damage guaranteed
  • Better midgame burst, one cannon EQ will render any adc half health unless they built warmogs or glacial shroud
  • Better midgame survivability since you have better base defense
  • Better midgame utility than most adcs besides Ashe, since you have free team shurelyas, great poke for stalemates for tower sieges, a knockback, and a jump slow.
  • Most of the times better lategame, one cannon EQ will decimate a team if you hit everyone, and if you catch anybody you will burst them down guaranteed

In lane, he can push out the adc and support from lane simply by landing three cannon EQ's. They will be low enough to dive, so you'll either get free farm or a free kill. In most cases as well, once you are a little bit ahead of the other adc you can cannon EQ and then hammer Q in to kill their adc instantly. The key to adc Jayce is abusing the fact that most adc's earlygames are terrible, and yours is great in comparison. They are really squishy and don't do as much damage in general.

Once you've got some gold, you can build ninja tabi to make the other adc do even less damage. ADCs use autoattacks to hurt you in lane, and by taking away 10% of their damage, they can't hurt you but you can hurt them.

What's Jayce's ONLY thing stopping him from becoming the perfect adc? His attack range and high mana cost. Take a look at these numbers:

Jayce: 500

Vayne: 550
Ezreal: 550
Graves: 525
Caitlyn: 625
Tristana (base range): 550
Miss Fortune: 550
Ashe: 600
Twitch: 550

He visibly lacks in the attack range department. His ONLY counter bottom lane is probably Caitlyn. She will prevent Jayce from farming in the early levels, but midgame/lategame she won't survive Jayce's burst unless she is really far ahead. Also, probably only Vayne is significantly better than Jayce lategame. But, that's the beauty of Jayce adc: you don't let the other team's adc reach lategame status, because you shut them down so hard early/mid.

However, in lane attack range isn't much of a problem because Jayce's hammer Q and cannon EQ easily make up for his abysmal aa range. Most adcs will not go near you for fear of a full combo from Jayce anyway, so that's not even a problem. Even if they do go near you, you can EQ them for a bigger trade or even go in and QWE for a riskier trade.

In teamfights, range doesn't even matter because you will poke down their team with cannon EQ, autoattack whoever is closest with cannon W, then jump in with hammer Q when everyone's low, then back out with cannon gate. If nobody is low, you just continue cannon EQ and auto from safety until somebody is low. Standard glass cannon Jayce tactics apply for Jayce adc, except for Jayce adc you will want to abuse your cannon W more for free max attck speed steroid autos since you'll most likely have an IE as well.

In terms of his mana costs, there is nothing you can really do in lane except conserve your mana and make sure you always have enough for one cannon gate + hammer knockback in case of ganks. It helps if you lane with a Soraka, but midgame/lategame you can usually steal blue buff or just conserve mana. That's his only real weakness: his mana costs. Make Jayce miss his EQ and you'll starve him. He is really really bad without using abilities until he gets a lot of AD.

Here is my build so far (only 30 or so games so far so not refined) in solo queue:
longsword + 2 pots --> BF sword --> bloodthirster --> ninja tabi --> last whisper --> infinity edge --> guardian's angel if you have enough damage --> black cleaver or bloodthirster depending on if you want more survivability or damage.

Of course you will be squishy, but you will be much more tankier than any other adc so it doesn't really matter. If you want, you can swap out GA for warmogs since warmogs are pretty cheap right now.

If anyone wants me to stream Jayce ADC, I will. But in the meantime I will be duo queuing with my friend and getting free elo.

TLDR; Jayce adc S3 stronger than S2

Feel free to discuss! I can bet you I can refute any argument that says Jayce adc is bad.

U WIMBLY 4S CHAP

01-29-2013

Eh hes kinda the same from s2. rush ie instead of bf though. his crits plus the 130% mid game 3 shot people everywhere

sammich kek

01-29-2013

everyone is strong with a blood thurster infinity edge and black cleaver

Rhiehn

01-29-2013

What about him makes him better (as an ad carry) now than before? I would argue that because of how much stronger bruisers are in S3, it's not necessary to have a carry in every game, so running bot lane Jayce with a support would work, but I can't see how building him as a carry would be better than building him as a bruiser. My point is that building completely glass cannon won't work unless you're way ahead, because of his short range. I agree that Jayce can work bot lane, but so can a lot of bruisers in season 3.

U WIMBLY 4S CHAP

01-29-2013

Quote:
I watch ytp:
What about him makes him better (as an ad carry) now than before? I would argue that because of how much stronger bruisers are in S3, it's not necessary to have a carry in every game, so running bot lane Jayce with a support would work, but I can't see how building him as a carry would be better than building him as a bruiser. My point is that building completely glass cannon won't work unless you're way ahead, because of his short range. I agree that Jayce can work bot lane, but so can a lot of bruisers in season 3.

but thats the thing, with his wide spread huge damage harass he can get ahead early on

RedTruth

01-29-2013

Jayce ADC always was, and still is, sub-par. You're still better off building him as a bruiser if you want to take him bot.

U WIMBLY 4S CHAP

01-29-2013

Quote:
AceAttorney72:
Jayce ADC always was, and still is, sub-par. You're still better off building him as a bruiser if you want to take him bot.

hows he sub par

ZomgJames

Recruiter

01-29-2013

SHHHH dont lef the secret out

Atreiyu

01-29-2013

He's more of a AD caster than ADC... rather take him mid

MorgManBasher

01-29-2013

I run Jayce ADC carry quite often if I am forced into the ADC role. I personally like it and think it's pretty solid, but eh. I wouldn't say it's better though.

Black cleaver on him is baller though.