Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

State of Player Behavior on the PBE - Present and Future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Steven Segal

01-29-2013

im a noob to pbe but my experience is pretty good about pbe, i only play co op though, i have seen my share of a -holes though and it makes the testing experience lame and feel blah. i hope that maybe their ip adress is banned for like a 7 day or maybe u take away their ability to join normal draft and ranked games , that would ease the community make it where they can only play custom, and even then, have a bad ribbon that shows they are not the best to play with so others will know.

Darklarik

01-29-2013

Good news!

Have you considered ever putting this in the front page annoucements? Its kinda off a big deal. Especially since not a lot of people take to the forums.

thepantsparty

01-30-2013

Coming from previous games where accounts required subscriptions, having a test server account not linked to a normal account - so that being a ****head on the test server would get your main account banned - seems strange, but in a f2p game I suppose you can create an infinite number of accounts and use those for the test server.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-30-2013

Quote:
Bazaam:
@Lyte, will we see this on the live version if it proves effective in PBE? LoL can be a pretty toxic environment, and I know a few paying friends who deleted their accounts because of it.

Yes, all effective experiments will be promoted onto live environments.

hueey

01-30-2013

I am so happy to read this. After joining the PBE months ago I quickly learned that is was more toxic than solo queue on my main account. I couldn't even test things properly without having a friend help in a private game. This has been a long time coming, so happy.

Zankou

01-30-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
The player behavior team has also been brainstorming punishments in addition to or instead of bans. We have always known that bans are not an ideal punishment solution when players can simply create new accounts ...

How about a sort of hidden "kindness rating" which will take place in the matchmaking. If a player is toxic, he will fall down in this rating, if he is nice, he will rise up. After a while toxic players would be matched with other toxic players in one team. In the other team could be players with a good "kindness rating" ... toxic players in the enemy team aren't that annoying because they lose the game for their team in many cases. This way the non toxic team would usually win the game while the toxic team will lose and rage and maybe some of the toxic players will delete their account by themselves.

--------------

Another little thing is to ban them only from ranked games. In my Opinion the amount of toxic players is much higher in ranked games because some players are only that toxic because they care for the Elo but don't understand that they won't keep the teams attitude up by being toxic. Just ban those Elo addicted toxic players only from the ranked queue.

IS1695fbf4ff92b3ebeb85c

01-30-2013

Hey Lyte,

Thank you for this. I can certainly see this system working. It's a more immediate punish, thus linking it to misbehaviour a bit more directly. I think this will help change player's behaviour even more so, as a punishment linked to bad behaviour is always more effective than one after quite a while, which won't be associated with the bad behaviour anymore. I understand you guys are going to manually review each case, untill the system is accurate enough.

However, this will never be 100% accurate (no system ever will be). How are you guys going to tackle this if the system might some day go live? We've seen occasions before where things were fine on PBE, but sh*t hit the fan as soon as they went live. I understand you can't foresee this happening, which is why there should be a backup plan just in case.

A lot of the support for punished people is automated and there have been reports in the past of people who were truly unjustly banned (I know it's rare, but it does happen) and just couldn't seem to get through the automated messages from support, untill they started making a fuzz about it on reddit/the forums. I can see some unjustly bans happen a bit more frequent when it goes live (at least for the first few weeks or so), how are you guys planning on how to tackle this and filter out the 'real' unjustly bans from the trolls?

Thanks for the effort you guys are putting into this!

Qwelz

01-30-2013

Another cool idea would be having access to the PBE be a reward for good behavior on the live servers.

IS1695fbf4ff92b3ebeb85c

01-30-2013

Quote:
Carrywurst:
How about a sort of hidden "kindness rating" which will take place in the matchmaking. If a player is toxic, he will fall down in this rating, if he is nice, he will rise up. After a while toxic players would be matched with other toxic players in one team. In the other team could be players with a good "kindness rating" ... toxic players in the enemy team aren't that annoying because they lose the game for their team in many cases. This way the non toxic team would usually win the game while the toxic team will lose and rage and maybe some of the toxic players will delete their account by themselves.

--------------

Another little thing is to ban them only from ranked games. In my Opinion the amount of toxic players is much higher in ranked games because some players are only that toxic because they care for the Elo but don't understand that they won't keep the teams attitude up by being toxic. Just ban those Elo addicted toxic players only from the ranked queue.

I don't think the 'kindness rating' will work. After a while indeed the toxic players will be paired up with other toxic players. This will mean they go into this vicious circle where everyone is toxic and they will never be set a proper example of how they should be behaving. This will only incite more toxic behaviour from these players.

Although this means the nice players have to deal with toxic players a lot less, Riot still won't achieve the goal they are after: changing toxic players' behaviour. Instead it will put toxic players on their own little island, where they can be toxic to other toxic players. It would be like putting murderers together on an island to let them kill off each other instead of innocent civilians. this won't stop them from killing, in fact it will probably make it worse (kill or be killed). This is why they put them in jail. They want them to not make the same mistake again.

I think toxic players will always be toxic, whether it be normal games or ranked. Banning them from ranked still means they can play in normals. And that will still enable them to be toxic towards others.

Kárl

01-30-2013

Hey Riot. Why don't you incorporate temporary/permanent muting instead of banning people for poor verbal choices and inappropriate comments?

Ban people who deserve it. People who grief, leave and afk.
Don't ban people who put hundreds and thousands of hours into their accounts and pay money for the game but have a problem with controlling their anger and behaviour.
Might I add that I'm from Australia where behaviour in general society is extremely poor but considered the norm. Insults are thrown around here as complete jokes but that causes controversy online. That definitely doesn't help my case.

I know it's a responsibility that we have to accept when playing the games and rules are rules, but why can't you incorporate a mute system? You could easily use something that would indicate that the player is muted and still enable them to talk to users on their friends list. That would honestly fix a lot of poor behaviour if you think about it.

Can you please provide feedback as to why you don't do mutes and simply ban people?
I've searched forums for a bit looking into this but I've never seen terribly much posted about it.
even if it amounted to using a quick chat for mias and simple commands, it would still fix a lot of poor behaviour and make teams communicate better.

The reason why I suggest this in the first place is that I lose it a bit easily due to bad anger issues while playing and when I get frustrated I will admit that I make poor choices and say the wrong things at times.

I've been banned about 9 times on one account and finally permanently banned and I probably put about $200 and over 1000 hours into that account. Already upon reaching level 30 on a new account I have been getting bans from the tribunal for worsening reasons. Some of the behaviour that is being punished is so bloody minor that most 12 year olds could tolerate it better than some of the league community.

Please incorporate mutes, whether temporary or permanent. It would mean a lot to a lot of players in the same or similar situation to me to be muted rather than permanently banned and having to start all over.

I know that this is probably the wrong place to post it but I really just want an answer, Riot.
Why can't you do it?
What's the cons of it?